Retro Gamer - Issue 128

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

HalcyonDaze00

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 128

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:08 pm

The cover isn't that bad, not the best but not the worst either.

The mag itself is very good this month, cheats article was superb and Golden Axe, Tekken, Beat-em-ups all very good too.

Rock n Roll Racing is a bit meh, and a bizarre decision to give the 3rd rate Lore Design 6 pages, the article itself was also very poor.

Another month where the alternative covers are nowhere to be seen, hope these make a return at some point.

Next month doesn't look great but the Hardest Games of all time should be very good.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:44 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote: A bizarre decision to give the 3rd rate Lore Design 6 pages, the article itself was also very .
What a surprise. :lol:

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:07 pm

PostieDoc wrote:I think that's a great idea of Erics.
Maybe add a movie chart to Back to the 80s/90s?
Should throw up some nice tie-ins with the games with the likes of Turtles, Ghostbusters etc as well as some classic/awful films of 80&90's.
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:.
Another month where the alternative covers are nowhere to be seen, hope these make a return at some point.
Really like the alternate covers and hope it returns, I usually prefer one of the alternate covers every month!

Shame that The Unconverted has been eaten by an advert this month. It lost its "Best left in the arcade" section completely and only one "Converted Alternative" survived.

I don't like Future Classic myself but I guess its a hit with it reaching #41, however I think that featuring The Last of Us is too new a game. I suppose it is called "Future" classic and as such will feature new games, but I think the 2 pages could be used by other articles.

I'm sure in the Game Boy timeline either the captions or images have been mixed up for 1996 & 1998.

Lots of great articles for myself this month and the Beat'em-up article using various characters from games all fighting in the same level is a nice touch, sort of like an Expendables for scrolling fighters.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:50 pm

Really like the alternate covers and hope it returns, I usually prefer one of the alternate covers every month!
indeed, most people seemed to like the alternative covers bit, seems strange it has been dropped, was only a small box out so wouldn't involve much extra work. Hope it wasn't dropped due to people often commenting that they liked one of the alternative covers better.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:22 pm

Eric wrote:Special mention to the Cheats article which was great but no mention of the Multiface.
Thanks! I've just gone back and checked - the Multiface is definitely in there, as Nick Roberts discusses its operation. I had to ask him, as I only acquired a Speccy last year (my childhood micro was a C64) and had never used a Multiface.
Eric wrote:Shame that The Unconverted has been eaten by an advert this month. It lost its "Best left in the arcade" section completely and only one "Converted Alternative" survived.
For the record, the missing converted alternatives were Warriors of Fate and Columns. I've brought the "Best left" game forward to issue 129's Unconverted, so you'll still get to see that - it's another IGS game and it's a real horror.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:33 pm

I reckon the cover is a ripper, one of the best actually. And damn it I want to see Maria Whittaker on the cover next, don't worry about the barbarian bloke standing next to her, just Maria and preferably with smaller shields.

Please.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:00 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I can't believe I'm going to type this...

I actually don't mind Future Classic being a current game.

RG is the only gaming mag I buy and I largely ignore other sources of gaming news (partly because if I don't know about it, I won't want it and add to my pile of shame). Having a particularly noteworthy game flagged up like this is an indication I ought to get it now while its cheap and not wait until its harder to find. Having one or two games highlighted instead of a mass of them makes purchasing easier and is less of a burden to The Pile. All I know about The Last of Us is that its some sort of apocalypse survival story and some people here said its a bit good. I have no more details than that.
Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with it being a last gen game, that's the nature of the feature, it kinda has to be, but it's not that long ago RG reviewed The Last of Us, so it just sits a bit off for me.

I'd prefer to see older last gen games featured, it'd be cool to see things that have fallen off the radar a little get a look in, so you can still enjoy those nostalgic "pangs" and be reminded of something that perhaps isn't quite "retro" but isn't really new either.

Games like Braid, World of Goo, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Oblivion, Viva Pinata, Pokemon Platinum, Project Rub, Metal Gear Acid and Daxter, for example. Not new, but not old enough to be featured in any depth in the mag either.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:15 am

I guess its subjective then, since World of Goo is the only one of those games I liked even a little bit, and I soon got bored with it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:19 am

I've bought several games because they appeared in the Future Classics section :lol:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:30 am

gman72 wrote:I've bought several games because they appeared in the Future Classics section :lol:
It definitely has a place in my opinion, but I also think very few people need to be reminded that The Last of Us is excellent, thus the feature becomes redundant for me. Still, a minor gripe and it seems I'm the only person who's bothered by this selection anyway.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:26 am

NickThorpe wrote: For the record, the missing converted alternatives were Warriors of Fate and Columns. I've brought the "Best left" game forward to issue 129's Unconverted, so you'll still get to see that - it's another IGS game and it's a real horror.
Cool Nick, strange place to plonk an advert! Re-read Cheats and found the section with Romantic Robots Multiface. Have it for Amstrad but it was mainly used for screenshots & save games, was the Spectrum version the same model? The Action Replay I had for Mega Drive was a lot easier to find your cheats. This version had a silver flick switch on the left side that toggled between various modes. Like you mention in the article I spent hours playing a game, freezing it, lose life, play, freeze until the results were narrowed down to under 10 or so. It was then a case of trying each one until the infinite life's/energy was found. Some games where tricky though when they started storing the lifes/energy etc spread over several variables and then storing them differently again for each level.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:24 pm

Not really a complaint but did the person who wrote the small piece of Ultra Street Fighter IV news ever play the games? Apparently, 'Poison Ivy' and 'Elenda' are among the new characters :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:36 am

No Dragon Force in the Saturn list

(I know its bloody yellow but its to early in the morning to be arsing round with colour codes)

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:45 am

Ooh, best issue this one since... I can't even remember. Definitely the first one where I've read anything besides the Unconverted, Homebrew and Minority Report bits. The next issue looks like it'll be a goodie too.

As for the cover, I felt more embarrassed buying that Mario advent calendar one. This one's great, it's got an elf sitting on top of the word "Gamer".
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

skinny

Post by skinny » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:49 am

Nice to see a mention of Croc - a game I played, enjoyed and finished back in the day. I do remember the camera was very dodgy at times, but there were some nice hidden bonus levels if you could find them.

Is it just me that's surprised that issue 128 doesn't have anything relating to systems with 128 in their name? Did the same happen with 20, 48, 64? Probably!