Retro Gamer - Issue 128

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

NickThorpe

Retro Gamer - Issue 128

Post by NickThorpe » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:24 pm

We got the new issue through today, so I'd imagine that subscribers will be receiving their copies shortly. For now, here's the cover!

pforson

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 128

Post by pforson » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:53 pm

Nice cover. But it feels like a lot of the content is starting to repeat itself. Surely we've already had loads of coverage of Golden Axe, the Saturn, Gameboy and scrolling beat em ups?
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:08 pm

It's good to see David Braben in it. I used to play Golden Axe on my Amiga a lot, so that's good, too, and the cheats thing could be good.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:50 pm

Awesome cover! Looking forward to reading this!!! 8)

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:11 pm

Cover looks great! :D

I hope the cheats article is as good as I am hoping it will be

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:17 pm

That cover reminds me more of some kind of fantasy or "design" magazine I see on the shelves next to the computer/games/photo/hifi section.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:17 pm

Zarch and scrolling fighters are my cover story gotos this month.

Cover is ok, just the MD cover art, I've always thought the poses were a bit odd in it. Not a bad image by any means, just not a personal favourite. I'm probably just sad that we missed the opportunity to have a Maria Whittaker cover for the fighting feature ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:39 pm

pforson wrote:Nice cover. But it feels like a lot of the content is starting to repeat itself. Surely we've already had loads of coverage of Golden Axe, the Saturn, Gameboy and scrolling beat em ups?
Hey Griswold! Would be very little to write about if systems and game types didn't get more than one (or even ten) looks!!

Although not much headline news there to get me too excited... I've got a Saturn, so maybe a look at the best 25 games will be interesting, I can't stand Golden Axe, no interest in the Gameboy...
But I will be reading the articles anyway - sometimes they turn me! (to liking the games, not the other way :wink: ).

Cheating sounds interesting!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:48 pm

pforson wrote:Nice cover. But it feels like a lot of the content is starting to repeat itself. Surely we've already had loads of coverage of Golden Axe, the Saturn, Gameboy and scrolling beat em ups?
I guess it's how you define coverage. There has been one history of golden axe about 5 years ago, one article on the game boy in issue 61, nothing subtsntial on the saturn since about issue 36 and never anything on scrolling fighters.

The magazine is over 100 issues old, popular stuff will inevitably get repeated. Every magazine in the world does it.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:03 pm

This is the first time there's been something about cheats though (going by memory), so there's that :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:23 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:This is the first time there's been something about cheats though (going by memory), so there's that :D
And scrolling fighters :wink: :mrgreen:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Charco

Post by Charco » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:52 pm

I like the cover and scrolling beat 'em ups are my favourite genre. Looking forward to this arriving in the post :-)

Cyberun

Post by Cyberun » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:32 am

Looks like some interesting articles in there.
However the cover looks like one I'll be embarrassed to take to the till in WH Smiths.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:10 pm

Cyberun wrote:Looks like some interesting articles in there.
However the cover looks like one I'll be embarrassed to take to the till in WH Smiths.
You'll be scared if wearing a pink shirt next!

I'm sure the spotty 17 year old in WHSmiths doesn't give a monkeys about that cover if you're that worried!

Cyberun

Post by Cyberun » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:33 pm

psj3809 wrote:You'll be scared if wearing a pink shirt next!

I'm sure the spotty 17 year old in WHSmiths doesn't give a monkeys about that cover if you're that worried!
It wasn't a homophobic comment, and I sort of resent you implying it was... you don't know me or my sexuality (or what colour shirts I wear).
In case you hadn't looked at the cover there are half naked people of both sexes on it.

If anything I hadn't even thought of the homosexual or hetrosexual overtones. I think I just meant it looked a bit geeky... a bit dungeons and dragonsy... in fact I think I just meant it as a joke. Obviously not the right forum for humour.