From the forum issue 129 - Worst sticking points

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

craigy132

Re: From the forum issue 129 - Worst sticking points

Post by craigy132 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:55 pm

Dragons lair on the speccy. The black knight, insanely difficult!

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:20 am

themightymartin wrote:In the DOS version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles there is a jump in one of the sewers that I just couldn't get past. Every time I tried I fell short. I tried over and over again but I couldn't make it.

In the end I had to give up. It just got too frustrating. Many years later I discovered that the game was bugged. It hadn't been properly play-tested, and the jump was actually impossible!
Damn, you beat me to it! I spent probably a good 2 months on that spot, it was at a reasonably advanced stage in the game and it was a really good game, so it sucked not being able to get past it. I even replayed the entire game several times to get back to that spot to see if there was something else I could do to cause it to be passable to no avail - what a waste of time!

For modern DOS gamers, its impossible to complete Space Quest IV due to modern PCs running too fast during the Galaxy Galleria arcade sequence, where its impossible to outrun the sequel police. The clever old games synced their speeds to the monitor refresh rate (70 Hz) whereas ones that just ran at full speed regardless are nearly impossible to play now.

Edit: It is possible to get past this point using slowdown tools, but its a bit of a hassle to have to stop the game, slowdown the machine and then restart the game to get past it.

Cyberun

Post by Cyberun » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:40 am

The first screen on Airwolf on the ZX Spectrum.
I don't think I ever got past that regenerating wall. Such a disappointment as I loved the TV series and really wanted a good (read playable) Airwolf game.
On a more modern note - The Library on Halo. It wasn't hard, it was just soul destroyingly boring and repetitive. Go up the lift, shoot the Flood... go up the lift, shoot some more Flood on exactly the same level design - repeat about ten times. It took me ages to get through it, as every time I went up the lift I prayed it was the end, found out it wasn't and gave up with the game for a few weeks out of disgust.

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:12 am

The Warehouse in Manic Miner. Even to this day, with infinite lives, I've not actually made it through that screen.

Roys Castle, in the Forest of Illusion in Super Mario World. I did make it through this, but it took way more lives than I'd like to admit too.

*disclaimer - I am rubbish at games :P

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:15 am

Oh, and I really should mention Short Circuit on the C64. I played this for hours recently with my son, and we couldn't get past the end of the first stage. After much head scratching and nearly throwing the game out of the window, I looked up an online guide and it turns out there's a bug in the game and you can't get past the end of the stage anyway.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:16 am

The maze in Lechuck's Revenge. How was I supposed to know the song about the bones in Guybrush's dream was the solution for the maze? I gave up and it was only years later, thanks to the internet and GameFAQs, that I managed to finish it. Big Whoop, eh?

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:04 am

tapmantwo wrote:The Warehouse in Manic Miner. Even to this day, with infinite lives, I've not actually made it through that screen.
OK, go home tonight and practise the following, one step at a time until you get it right. Once you have it, you have to do it all in one smooth movement. One important trick is to take intermittent steps forward to slow the rate at which you drop through the collapsing platforms. Another is to let yourself drop a level before taking a jump, to give yourself enough safe headroom or to target a different landing position.

1. Walk forward and jump to land right between the two shrubs, then drop down until your head is below the shrubs.

2. Take gradual steps and drop to the left, until you're on the last row of blocks and the thresher goes down, and you can jump over it to get the object on the left (don't stand too near the thrasher when you jump). Then turn round and jump back.

3. Jump over/under the next thresher and aim to be level with the conveyor belt, not above it, so you can simply walk along and get the object without being rushed.

4. Keep stop/starting right and dropping down low to get the next one, then drop out of the bottom and go right. Again you can dither before you drop out by moving left/right, to dodge the walking potty below.

5. Now hop onto the platform and jump left to one object, then up to another. Let yourself drop a level before jumping for the final one so you don't hit your head on the shrubs.

6. Fall out the bottom again and go right, then just keep jumping up to the exit.

But yes, that level is an absolute sod.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:10 am

The first time I played Final Fantasy VIII I - for reasons I can't even remember - didn't realise that you could junction summons to any character and had them all on Squall. I kept getting beaten over and over by the fake president boss on the train until I realised my dumb mistake :oops:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Gary Plowman

Post by Gary Plowman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:12 am

GB - Secret of Mana

A puzzle in the desert with a vague riddle.
Solution: you had to make a figure of 8 around 2 cacti numerous times to open a secret door or something...jaysus!
The Micro Kids: An 80s Adventure with ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64 and more
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0993474462/

ZX Spectrum Games Code Club
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0993474403/

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:26 pm

I honestly can't believe that anyone is even having a debate about this!, the answer is obviously Raiders of the lost ark on the 2600.
Anyone who claims to have finished this without the hint sheet is simply a lying (deleted)

Another tough nut was level 9's Return to Eden.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:45 pm

When I finished the last level in MegaLoMania on the Amiga at last, and was told I did not put any men into suspended animation to be carried to the final battle. I didn't even bother to restart from a former level and stopped playing the game :evil:

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:05 am

Ah diddums on the spectrum - £5.50 wasted in 1984 , never got out of the first box .
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:05 am

joefish wrote:
tapmantwo wrote:The Warehouse in Manic Miner. Even to this day, with infinite lives, I've not actually made it through that screen.
OK, go home tonight and practise the following, one step at a time until you get it right. Once you have it, you have to do it all in one smooth movement. One important trick is to take intermittent steps forward to slow the rate at which you drop through the collapsing platforms. Another is to let yourself drop a level before taking a jump, to give yourself enough safe headroom or to target a different landing position.

1. Walk forward and jump to land right between the two shrubs, then drop down until your head is below the shrubs.

2. Take gradual steps and drop to the left, until you're on the last row of blocks and the thresher goes down, and you can jump over it to get the object on the left (don't stand too near the thrasher when you jump). Then turn round and jump back.

3. Jump over/under the next thresher and aim to be level with the conveyor belt, not above it, so you can simply walk along and get the object without being rushed.

4. Keep stop/starting right and dropping down low to get the next one, then drop out of the bottom and go right. Again you can dither before you drop out by moving left/right, to dodge the walking potty below.

5. Now hop onto the platform and jump left to one object, then up to another. Let yourself drop a level before jumping for the final one so you don't hit your head on the shrubs.

6. Fall out the bottom again and go right, then just keep jumping up to the exit.

But yes, that level is an absolute sod.
Awesome, thanks!. Will give it a whirl.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:02 pm

The Vampire boss in Rainbow Islands. And the one time I did get past him, I was in such shock I lost all focus and died pretty quickly on the following level. Even if the current Twilight trend was aimed at me I could never get behind it because of this cheap so-and-so.

Argus_Panoptes

Post by Argus_Panoptes » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:34 pm

Almost any level on Super Ghouls and Ghosts on the SNES.
I think I got past the big bird thingy, but not any further than the level where the water washed over you. Does this mean I'm unskilled at gaming?