From the forum issue 129 - Worst sticking points

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

NickThorpe

From the forum issue 129 - Worst sticking points

Post by NickThorpe » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:35 am

Hi guys, it's that time again - the forum topic for issue 129's mailbag page. For this one, we want to know the most hair-tearingly frustrating moments in your gaming past - those bits where you just got stuck and couldn't move on for ages.

ArchaicKoala

Re: From the forum issue 129 - Worst sticking points

Post by ArchaicKoala » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:48 am

The earliest memory of this for me probably goes to Granny's Garden - The map section where if you did things in the wrong order, the witch would catch you. Many a hair was pulled which probably explains my ever receding hair line :lol:

That bloomin' witch used to scare the hell out of me!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:51 am

That barrel going up and down in Carnival Night Zone in Sonic 3. Stupidly easy to solve in retrospect, but we were the first ones in school to get past it, so everyone was asking us what Ice Cap and Launch Base were like.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:08 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:That barrel going up and down in Carnival Night Zone in Sonic 3. Stupidly easy to solve in retrospect, but we were the first ones in school to get past it, so everyone was asking us what Ice Cap and Launch Base were like.
:lol: How could I forget that?! I remember Sega Power printing how to get past that barrel in the cheat section. I think it caught all of us out :oops:

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:17 am

ill say one of the mine cart levels in Donkey Kong Country on the super nes.

Usually when the cart was going uphill and there would either be a stray rock or bit of track you had to triple jump over, the frustration of watching as instead of a super jump you did a tiny leap and died...this was escalated at times by having to restart the area when you ran out of lives and used a continue.

And my second game i got stuck at and still do, is the metal sonic boss on sonic 2 then after beating that facing the big egg robot...i just didnt what i was supposed to do on either.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:04 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:That barrel going up and down in Carnival Night Zone in Sonic 3. Stupidly easy to solve in retrospect, but we were the first ones in school to get past it, so everyone was asking us what Ice Cap and Launch Base were like.
There are a number of factors to that one, particularly that it moved up and down when you jumped on it - a lot of people got the wrong idea because of that. I once saw Yuji Naka take responsibility for the problem at a Q&A session - it was a magical moment!
ArchaicKoala wrote:The earliest memory of this for me probably goes to Granny's Garden
Would you like a blue raven to help you on your quest? :lol:

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:17 am

Penetrator on the Spectrum - you get to the fifth level, fly over a volcano with some targets at the bottom, and then the cave top and bottom come together in an impossibly tight space you can't get through. What the hell?

Turns out, you're supposed to drop a bomb straight down that column and hit those targets at the bottom to trigger a congratulations message, then you return to the game with a mirrored landscape to fly out again.

Some particularly hard bits in Riven (Myst II) - usually caused by not realising there's an extra direction you can look in besides the usual three or four look-around-you postcard views. One very near the beginning is a closed gate you can push and it rattles on a lock. What isn't obvious is that you can look down, then click to go under the gate. A forest path is similarly concealed. The other thing is that you can easily figure out that the animal silhouettes are a clue, but actually seeing some of the shapes in the negative space of a tunnel mouth, or partially in a refelection, takes a special sort of mental abnormality. It's easier to spot the developer's kids' faces concealed in the rocks behind that blasted gate than some of the real clues. And I could figure out the system of numerals from the classroom, but realising that the animal noises are the clue to the order in which to arrange them is another matter entirely. And then there's that lever hidden in the shadows of the brass dome that you can only see in a view looking out of a door into brilliant sunlight. This game is insanely hard.

At least Myst III: Exile made things a bit more within the bounds of possibility. But even there, there's an exit through a horizontal split in a giant log that you'd never realistically assume was passable.

But Myst IV just dredged through the previous games for ideas, ending up with some logical and sensible ones, and some ludicrously complex ones.

And Azazel from Tekken 6 - what? The Arcade mode goes on alright, with opponents getting tougher and tougher, then suddenly the difficulty goes through the roof - you're completely unprepared. I thought DOA3's boss was tough, not to mention a cheap and unhelpful distortion of the view, but this really is a cheap and uneven challenge.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:01 am

Final Fantasy VII. 45 hours into the game and I got to the fight against Proud Clod. I didn't do enough levelling up before hand and there is no way to back out of the fight. That is just too much time to ever repeat so I doubt I will ever get to finish the game (unless we get the PS4 remake that I am dreaming of).

merman

Post by merman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:48 am

Bruce Lee on the C64, for years I got stuck on the penultimate screen.

Turns out the version I was playing was corrupted.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

pforson

Post by pforson » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:50 pm

The Broken Bridge in Fantasy World Dizzy. As a kid I always fell down and stood there wondering what to do.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:11 pm

Not uncommon but damn, this one had me eating walls as a kid : the babel fish puzzle in Hitchhikers Guide. I ever so desperately wanted to get past that bit but ultimately couldn't, and so I wasted so much of my life (my romanticized memory tells me it was years, but in reality it no doubt amounted to about a week), and in the pre-internet, pre-parents-buying-you-solution-books-for-you-just-because-you-wanted-them days, I never ended up getting past it until decades later.

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:24 pm

In the DOS version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles there is a jump in one of the sewers that I just couldn't get past. Every time I tried I fell short. I tried over and over again but I couldn't make it.

In the end I had to give up. It just got too frustrating. Many years later I discovered that the game was bugged. It hadn't been properly play-tested, and the jump was actually impossible!
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:15 pm

Claymorgue Castle.
I still don't understand how the fountain there works and how you are supposed to handle it. I suspect a few other adventure games had me raging too...

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:34 pm

Amongst lots of other stuff.. Baya Malay dungeon in Phantasy Star 1. Sooo many bloody pit traps, dead ends and tough enemies appearing at will. The amount of times I thought I was making progress, only to slip down umpteen floors and die making my way back to where I was is beyond count.

I actually gave up in the end and only came back to it years later, after my brother in law phoned me up bragging that he had finished it. Tosser :lol: .

I got there in the end...

Eat your nans pants

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:07 pm

NickThorpe wrote:
There are a number of factors to that one, particularly that it moved up and down when you jumped on it - a lot of people got the wrong idea because of that. I once saw Yuji Naka take responsibility for the problem at a Q&A session - it was a magical moment!
:lol: :lol:
I'd like to see that!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.