New forum - issues and complaints

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

necronom

Re: New forum - issues and complaints

Post by necronom » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:57 am

I didn't think it was possible to have a forum without a PM function. It's odd that installing the PM plug-in would cause a security issue that's bad enough to not use it.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:16 am

That's a minor confusion of the two issues, necronom. Security is the issue with the current forum software, and why the web team has decided to move away from it. Lack of (and potential addition of) PMs is an issue with the new software.

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:30 am

:oops: That's what happens when you read too fast!

So, according to flatapex, there IS a plug-in, so there shouldn't be a problem, then, right?

It does seem insane to not have it as a standard feature, since every forum on the planet had PMs.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:50 am

It does seem odd to me that forum software wouldn't have PMs, but I've only ever managed Invision forums in the past.

I've let the web team know about the strength of feeling regarding the retention of private messages. I'll let you all know when we see some new developments.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:35 pm

NickThorpe wrote:It does seem odd to me that forum software wouldn't have PMs, but I've only ever managed Invision forums in the past.

I've let the web team know about the strength of feeling regarding the retention of private messages. I'll let you all know when we see some new developments.
thanks Nick, I hope you realise how much we all appreciate this

necronom- wordpress forums do indeed have a pm plugin feature, I understand they released the first version of this in 2011.

I have every faith Nick and the tech guys between them can sort it, my impression is that common sense will prevail on this

zapiy

Post by zapiy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:13 am

But what security issues are present with phpbb that are not with WP? Both will have issues.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:57 am

Why did they not go with something like Simple Machines forum software? It's stylish but uncluttered, powerful and easy to maintain.

That said from a retro visual look you really need Acmlmboard software see below. Insanely hard to maintain though :(

above screen from SMW Central. http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewforum

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:01 am

A mobile layout would make me happy. The new forum had an attempt at a mobile layout, however it only took up half the screen area (vertically) so it was tall and skinny and the text overlapped. Good attempt that needs further refining to be functional. Thank you.

And you can also add me to the list of folks who have found the PM functionality to be very useful over the years.
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:08 pm

Method Not Implemented

POST to /forum/posting.php not supported.

---
WTF?
I can't post with an Img link. I can't post with an URL link. I can't even paste the URL itself into the post.
You guys s...
(No, I'm not angry, I'm disappointed.)

EDIT: And now it worked? Do you have gremlins that only work part-time on wrecking the site?

Analog

Post by Analog » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:28 pm

^
I am getting the same problem, cannot start a thread, each attempt to create a thread I get a "501 Method Not Implemented" :?

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:50 am

NorthWay wrote:Method Not Implemented

POST to /forum/posting.php not supported.

---
WTF?
I can't post with an Img link. I can't post with an URL link. I can't even paste the URL itself into the post.
You guys s...
(No, I'm not angry, I'm disappointed.)

EDIT: And now it worked? Do you have gremlins that only work part-time on wrecking the site?
just had the same problem

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:05 pm

More worrying are the sudden reappearance of the sql errors...is the forum trying to implode in on itself again?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:48 pm

I hope not! :o
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:19 am

The odd sql error has been happening for ages, but don't last long. Give it 5 minuts and its back.

More annoying is the massive banner that is getting overlaid right across the bottom of the browser (at least in Chrome on android).

Not a normal banner ad that scrolls away with the page, but something that relocates so its always at the bottom of the screen, flickering on and off as you scroll.

Looks like I'll need to reinstall adblock on my tablet.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:31 am

The forum sw can ... its ... ... and go ... itself and stuff up its (&¤%)(¤ the whole
"Method Not Implemented

POST to /forum/posting.php not supported."

BUGREPORT: If I add in a closing paranthesis before the opening one in "(&¤%)(¤" then the forum barfs on my post.
BUGREPORT2: It also thinks some other user has edited this posting while I was editing when I click submit.