New forum - issues and complaints

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

paranoid marvin

Re: New forum - issues and complaints

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:09 am

Hope 'Off Topic' does return. Yes, there are other places to chat, but this is a place where you can chat/banter with like-minded people who all seem like pretty decent types.

No Off Topic means no birthday greetings, no Secret Santa, no Fantasy Footy... :cry:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

trunky

Post by trunky » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:24 am

RetroBob wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:00 pm
Sounds like they are cleaning up the mess that was in there, banning as appropriate. Guys this is a retro gaming forum, if you really want off topic - go to Facebook in the meantime.
Some of us are really old and have no use or need for Facebook. Every forum I have ever been on in my long and uneventful life has had an off topic section. Every one. It sounds to me as though you had a hand in getting it shut down, which is a pity. There was no 'mess' in there as you succinctly put it, but a collection of threads and posts that didn't fit anywhere else. There is always a need for that sort of stuff. And banning straight away, with no warnings, sounds very draconian.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:27 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:09 am
No Off Topic means no birthday greetings, no Secret Santa, no Fantasy Footy... :cry:
Look on the bright side, it's less work for the magazine staff. Which is the main thing. The magazine will improve exponentially as a result. I should think.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

trunky

Post by trunky » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:58 am

The Beans wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:27 am
paranoid marvin wrote:
Look on the bright side, it's less work for the magazine staff. Which is the main thing. The magazine will improve exponentially as a result. I should think.
To be honest it did look like they couldn't be arsed moderating anyway mate.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:51 am

trunky wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:24 am
RetroBob wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:00 pm
Sounds like they are cleaning up the mess that was in there, banning as appropriate. Guys this is a retro gaming forum, if you really want off topic - go to Facebook in the meantime.
Some of us are really old and have no use or need for Facebook. Every forum I have ever been on in my long and uneventful life has had an off topic section. Every one. It sounds to me as though you had a hand in getting it shut down, which is a pity. There was no 'mess' in there as you succinctly put it, but a collection of threads and posts that didn't fit anywhere else. There is always a need for that sort of stuff. And banning straight away, with no warnings, sounds very draconian.
No, I am a member of this forum just like you. Clearly there was a mess otherwise the admins wouldn't have had to close it and issued bans for offending members and delete associated posts; there have been repeated warnings about AUP.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:29 am

Yeah i'm not surprised sadly. There were warnings before, when i was a mod (I just dealt with spammers) there were reported messages from Off Topic, not really any other parts of the forum.

The political threads got pretty heated, must admit i was stunned the 'what type of poo have you done?' thread was still around, ridiculous 40 year old blokes are talking about that.

Shame to see constant arguing, mostly the same people though. Vast majority dont cause any issues at all.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:30 am

RetroBob wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:51 am
Clearly there was a mess otherwise the admins wouldn't have had to close it and issued bans for offending members and delete associated posts; there have been repeated warnings about AUP.
Oh it was a dreadful place for sure. I had to hold my nose the whole time I was in there. Simply dreadful. Villains everywhere you looked. Lower class people too! The wrestling thread alone ... you just can't imagine. It was definitely time to act imo. The place had become a hangout for louts who talk about television. Goodness me.

Be sure to filter your approval down through social media. It's what I'm going to do.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:43 am

It did appear to be a case of somebody having enough, rather than any posts getting any worse to be honest.
Thought things had been pretty mild compared to some of what has come before it.

The straw that broke the camels back, so to speak.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:45 am

Just to give you a heads up.
We've moved trading to It's All About Games, so people can finish and continue to trade.
We're well aware that there are some great threads in Off Topic, but there's also a lot of horrendous comments being made and there will be bans because of this based on feedback we've received.
It appears that the safest thing to do going forward is to simply ban political and religious talk, because that's causing the biggest issues here.
I am aiming to get this sorted out so everyone has an off topic section they can be happy with.

There's unlikely to be any more updates from me at this moment in time because I'm working on the magazine at the moment, but we are keeping an eye on things.

Thingoaspring has summed things up pretty well.

It's important to remember that Future is a PLC so things aren't going to be the same as they were before.

Darran

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:07 am

How about just implementing the "Dont be a di*k" rule?
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:00 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:45 am
Just to give you a heads up.
We've moved trading to It's All About Games, so people can finish and continue to trade.
We're well aware that there are some great threads in Off Topic, but there's also a lot of horrendous comments being made and there will be bans because of this based on feedback we've received.
It appears that the safest thing to do going forward is to simply ban political and religious talk, because that's causing the biggest issues here.
I am aiming to get this sorted out so everyone has an off topic section they can be happy with.

There's unlikely to be any more updates from me at this moment in time because I'm working on the magazine at the moment, but we are keeping an eye on things.

Thingoaspring has summed things up pretty well.

It's important to remember that Future is a PLC so things aren't going to be the same as they were before.

Darran
I think this was an important post that needed to be made. One of my concerns over this new hard line stance is that it would affect the rapport between the magazine staff and the readership. One of the things that makes RG so successful is that we feel that everyone on the RG team is one of us, writing for us and it would be a shame if that relationship was damaged.

It makes sense for political and religious discussion to be banned. A lot of forums already do that and with the way the world is these days such tensions aren't going to get any easier.

Thank you for clearing things up.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:59 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Hope 'Off Topic' does return. Yes, there are other places to chat, but this is a place where you can chat/banter with like-minded people who all seem like pretty decent types.

It really seems to undermine the work done by sputryk on the fantasy football and by replayretro and last year myself getting the secret santa running.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:14 pm

Darren said above that off topic will come back (but with no political/religous threads etc) so none of your stuff will be lost. Just a 'pause' at the moment

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:52 pm

So no Star wars threads then....................
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:55 pm

Last edited by Bub&Bob on Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward