New forum - issues and complaints

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: New forum - issues and complaints

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:54 pm

The Beans wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:51 pm
It hasn't been deleted.
View the forum without logging in and it's still there.
Er, okay. But, that just means you can't post anything there. Hmmm, what's going on?

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:57 pm

I've just seen Darren's message. Okay. Seems like there's been a big bust-up on there or something - and that part of the forum has now been stopped.

I hope it comes back.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:17 pm

Katzkatz wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:57 pm
I've just seen Darren's message. Okay. Seems like there's been a big bust-up on there or something - and that part of the forum has now been stopped.

I hope it comes back.
There hasn't been a big bust up, just the usual stuff. The mods have been building a narrative all week about how racist and offensive it all was, despite never actually deleting the apparently overwhelming amount of terrible stuff (and still leaving it in full view for all to see even now), so we really shouldn't be too surprised they've got the place out of their hair. It was obviously the goal. On any other forum it would just be a ban on religion and politics added to the AUP with some guidance on how members should proceed going forward but it's Future's gig now, the staff are onside, and they set the rules. Like it or don't.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:47 pm

Sounds a bit like punishing the whole class cos some kid set the fire alarm off.

Oh well, not my forum, not my decision.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:48 pm

what happened to the alternative retro gamer forum that was set up a few months back, is it still going? think it was set up just in case this place closed.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:59 pm

flatapex wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:47 pm
Sounds a bit like punishing the whole class cos some kid set the fire alarm off.

This...
Ridiculous way to behave. It is the beginning of the end of this forum with this move, and I can't help thinking that that is what the people at the top want anyway. Much less hassle for them.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:05 pm

ianpmarks wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:59 pm
flatapex wrote:

This...
Ridiculous way to behave. It is the beginning of the end of this forum with this move, and I can't help thinking that that is what the people at the top want anyway. Much less hassle for them.
agreed, it won't see out the year, if it even survives the summer........

we need Flatapex to get the canteen back up and running. it was off to a good start and had a decent amount from here who signed up.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:13 pm

A massive reason to even visit the forum has been removed, since talking about things like films or wrestling was just as bigger part of the community as talking about games. Does sound very much like someone high up at Future has decided it's too much hassle

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:15 pm

The Canteen has always been there. I suggest off topic discussions happen over there for now. Link now in my sig just in case. :(
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:04 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:05 pm
ianpmarks wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:59 pm
flatapex wrote:

This...
agreed, it won't see out the year, if it even survives the summer........

we need Flatapex to get the canteen back up and running. it was off to a good start and had a decent amount from here who signed up.
I've done some work behind the scenes. Its there if we need it

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:04 pm

excellent, I thought it was taken down last year as it wasn't needed, great to see it's still going, looks like the place to jump ship to when this place is killed off.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:00 pm

Sounds like they are cleaning up the mess that was in there, banning as appropriate. Guys this is a retro gaming forum, if you really want off topic - go to Facebook in the meantime.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:07 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:04 pm
excellent, I thought it was taken down last year as it wasn't needed, great to see it's still going, looks like the place to jump ship to when this place is killed off.
I was going to take it down but looking back at when it was coincided with me going on holiday and I totally forgot.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:11 pm

RetroBob wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:00 pm
Sounds like they are cleaning up the mess that was in there, banning as appropriate. Guys this is a retro gaming forum, if you really want off topic - go to Facebook in the meantime.
To be fair a lot of people find places like this easier and preferable to Facebook and many forum members don't have it at all.

The vast majority of the off topic section was either too light hearted for fb, or involved conversations with people that you wouldn't find on there. I can count the number of forum members on my fb friends list on one hand most likely

trunky

Post by trunky » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:39 pm

I've only just joined and had a good look around off topic before posting and saw nothing offensive. If there was it should have been removed, the poster warned and then life would have carried on. Closing the whole section is a tad excessive and leads me to assume that the forum as a whole isn't modded on a 24 hour basis, but as and when they log in.

Without an off topic, most forums die.