I demand....

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

PanzerGeneral

Re: I demand....

Post by PanzerGeneral » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:33 pm

I would like to see more VIC20 too-I would just prefer something in silver and black first.

Howabout killing two birds with one stone?
Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you-CHILDISH COMPUTER WARS!

In the black & silver corner from the lone start state, weighing in like an armoured heavyweight and built like one too!

In the creamy vomit coloured Corner, built from creaky brittle yellowing plastic with a graphics resolution that makes the 2600 look like a Cray super computer.

Lets get ready to rumble!

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:01 pm

It doesn't have to be either Vic-20 or Texas, lets have both. I'm far more interested in reading about the early 80's stuff than this month's PS1 games article.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:51 pm

PanzerGeneral wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you-CHILDISH COMPUTER WARS!
What is the space on the right hand side for? Is that where owners could place their My Little Pony's?

:lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I know very little about the Ti-99/4a I would very much welcome some coverage in the mag.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:56 am

The TI99/4a launched at almost double the Vic20 price, so you'd hope it would better. Back then for $300, you got quite a bit in the Vic20, but back then, you also got what you paid for, hence most other computers being a lot more expensive.
Bub&Bob wrote:What is the space on the right hand side for? Is that where owners could place their My Little Pony's?
Cartridge slot. And a place to warm your coffee, as it was right on top of the heat regulator unit I believe.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:37 am

necronom wrote:The thing is, it's called Retro Gamer, and the Vic 20 is a very well known retro computer. It was the first to sell over 1 million, and at the time the main alternative I remember was the colour and sound deficient ZX81. My friend had the ZX81 and I had the Vic 20. I can't remember anyone else I know having any other computers at the time.

I don't see why a modern console would get priority over the Vic 20. If you want to read about a modern console, don't buy a magazine called Retro Gamer.
How is a console that is knocking on for 20 years old modern?

Eat your nans pants

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:36 pm

I never had a VIC-20, so it holds no nostalgic pull for me. While it sold briskly following introduction, its relatively low total sales mean that a lot of people are going to be in the same boat. On the other hand, it's obviously a machine that deserves coverage - the first computer ever to sell a million units is clearly a landmark. My interest in retro gaming isn't defined by nostalgia so I'd be interested to read about it anyway.

I did have a Playstation as a kid, so I do carry nostalgia for that machine. I get that it feels new to some people - after all, Retro Gamer's first issue was sharing shelf space with the last issues of the Official Playstation Magazine. On the other hand, it's obviously a machine that deserves coverage - the first console ever to sell a hundred million units is clearly a landmark. Quite a lot of people do read the magazine for nostalgic purposes, and at 20 years old the Playstation is a console that will stir fond memories for many gamers in their late twenties onwards.

I think it's important to remember that "retro" is a loosely defined term, and that nostalgia is an inherently personal thing. If you're not interested in a particular game or format we've covered, it's best to keep in mind that someone else is - and they might well be skipping the stuff that fascinates you. We might be rather more likely to do a Playstation cover than a VIC-20 cover (we're a commercial operation, after all) but Retro Gamer can comfortably cover both machines.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:43 pm

True, retro is a loose term. That's why I think the word ancient should start being used too. And applied to the likes of ZX81 VIC 20 etc. What are they? 35 years old? That's ancient in terms of computers if you ask me. But still, I think it's laughable that a 20 year old machine is considered as modern.

Eat your nans pants

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:15 pm

crusto wrote:True, retro is a loose term. That's why I think the word ancient should start being used too. And applied to the likes of ZX81 VIC 20 etc. What are they? 35 years old? That's ancient in terms of computers if you ask me. But still, I think it's laughable that a 20 year old machine is considered as modern.
Yeh I agree. I think the Playstation should have regular coverage (it's my 2nd fav machine so I'm biased) but 20 years is more than old enough.

The Vic20 was my first machine so I am also biased hence why I want a little more magazine space.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:16 pm

Fair do's bub. My first was the 800XL, followed by the CPC464 after my mother got sick of buying new tape decks every other week! That's probably why I don't have much love for the 8 bits and would rather see other stuff covered. The XL was decent but way too unreliable and the CPC suffered with chronic conversions most of the time.

It wasn't all bad, not by any stretch, but maybe if I had owned say the 64 or even the speccy I would look back on those days a little more favourably.

Eat your nans pants

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:10 pm

fredghostmaster wrote:It doesn't have to be either Vic-20 or Texas, lets have both. I'm far more interested in reading about the early 80's stuff than this month's PS1 games article.
Yeah, it certainly doesn't have to be either, it can be both. But it can also include PS1. Why not have all three? Mixing it up will cover all bases and please most of the people (pleasing all is impossible). When you have a mag like RG, that caters to multi formats over multi generations, the best option is to cover as many machines over as many gens as poss IMO :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:11 am

crusto wrote:True, retro is a loose term. That's why I think the word ancient should start being used too. And applied to the likes of ZX81 VIC 20 etc. What are they? 35 years old? That's ancient in terms of computers if you ask me. But still, I think it's laughable that a 20 year old machine is considered as modern.
Totally agree. I mean Retro Gamer came out when, was it 2003 ? Should that not feature the original Gameboy/Gameboy Colour which were only 15 years old ?

Like you say the Playstation is 20 years old now, surely thats retro ! As always you cant please everyone !

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:20 am

Who is saying PS1 isn't retro? They must be living in some sort of time bubble!!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:59 am

So basically, some more coverage of the TI-99/4A, Vic-20 and PlayStation would make some readers happy, some fairly happy and some a bit sad because their favourite system isn't the TI-99/4A, Vic-20 or PlayStation. ;)

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:26 pm

markopoloman wrote:Who is saying PS1 isn't retro? They must be living in some sort of time bubble!!

This. Its only actually a few years older than the Snes.

Anyone who says its not retro or using the, quite frankly silly, argument that it is not a retro machine because the games are just basically the same as games on modern consoles are just desperate and desperately clinging onto any reason not to call it retro.

Even though they will happily call the Saturn and N64 retro, the PS1 is somehow not. How anyone can keep a straight face while actually coming out with statements like that is something I just don't understand.
Last edited by RodimusPrime on Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:55 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Its only actually a few years older than the Snes.
I'm guessing you meant that the PlayStation is a few years younger than the Snes, right RP?