I demand....

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

stvd

Re: I demand....

Post by stvd » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:23 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
crusto wrote:Wow, fantastic! I can't wait for this..

:shock:
Best wait. We'll probably choose rubbish games :P

Just make sure whoever is writing it has a decent emulator and a good selection of roms to choose from.
Prior knowledge of the machine/games in question not required. :?

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:59 pm

Radar Rat Race!! :D

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:48 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Funnily enough i've been revisiting the vic-20. We can certainly sort something out. I think we've done a minority report. So maybe vic 20 games that were better than c64 versions.
Arcadia would be one such thing!
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:42 pm

I've put a request in to write it, we'll see if I get the nod ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:33 pm

So what you want is-another feature on the VIC20, there has already been one, granted it was some time ago.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:57 pm

[quote="Mayhem"]I've put a request in to write it, we'll see if I get the nod ;)[/quote]

Let's hope so! :D

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:25 pm

PanzerGeneral wrote:So what you want is-another feature on the VIC20, there has already been one, granted it was some time ago.
What I want is more Vic20 coverage. Yes, there was an article a while back but there are plenty of good games to write about.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:06 pm

PanzerGeneral wrote:So what you want is-another feature on the VIC20, there has already been one, granted it was some time ago.
One is enough lol!

I think it's time for more recent retro to take a front seat. I was reared on the 8 bits and I understand the nostalgia etc. but imo it's time to move on. I like living in the past but don't want to stay rooted in the early 80’s. It's time for 90's and early 00’s nostalgia for a while.

I have nowt against vic 20 by the way. I just don't think its a big crowd puller like say, the PS 1 for example..

Eat your nans pants

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:39 am

crusto wrote:I have nowt against vic 20 by the way. I just don't think its a big crowd puller like say, the PS 1 for example..
Which probably explains why it's had about three articles on it in the entire RG run of 120+ issues. Two of which were written by myself (the Vic20 hardware piece and Ultima: Escape From Mount Drash), although I could rewrite the latter piece as there are a couple of factual errors in it, not actually known until years after the piece were conceived.

The Vic20 deserves a Minority Report article at least (four pages?), as there are some great games for it that not everyone knows about it. There'd obviously be a few of the favourites in there, assuming I wrote it, but a number of "oh I didn't know about that, let's try that out" entries. As curator of Gamebase20, I've played EVERY game in the database to make sure it works to the best of my knowledge! :lol: :twisted:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:22 am

That's the thing, the Vic 20 has hardly ever featured in the mag. It at least deserves a minority report or a 4 page top 25 games feature. Once we've had that, an occasional feature like the excellent Chariot Race article a while back would be more than sufficient.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:25 am

Mayhem wrote:
crusto wrote:The Vic20 deserves a Minority Report article
Yes, that would be perfect
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:33 am

crusto wrote:
One is enough lol!

I think it's time for more recent retro to take a front seat. I was reared on the 8 bits and I understand the nostalgia etc. but imo it's time to move on. I like living in the past but don't want to stay rooted in the early 80’s. It's time for 90's and early 00’s nostalgia for a while.

I have nowt against vic 20 by the way. I just don't think its a big crowd puller like say, the PS 1 for example..
I'm not sure the mag would be after a massive boost in sales with a VIC20 article! It's hardly going to be splashed all over the front cover and could quite happily sit alongside something PS1.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:00 am

I think there should be more articles on Vic20, C16 and Plus/4 games.
Even if it's just a feature on one game from those systems every 4 or 5 magazines that would be great and it would hardly impact on coverage of other systems.

I would love to see someone do an article on Winter Events (C16/Plus4). That game was superb.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:24 am

The thing is, it's called Retro Gamer, and the Vic 20 is a very well known retro computer. It was the first to sell over 1 million, and at the time the main alternative I remember was the colour and sound deficient ZX81. My friend had the ZX81 and I had the Vic 20. I can't remember anyone else I know having any other computers at the time.

I don't see why a modern console would get priority over the Vic 20. If you want to read about a modern console, don't buy a magazine called Retro Gamer.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

merman

Post by merman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:32 am

PostieDoc wrote:I think there should be more articles on Vic20, C16 and Plus/4 games.
Even if it's just a feature on one game from those systems every 4 or 5 magazines that would be great and it would hardly impact on coverage of other systems.

I would love to see someone do an article on Winter Events (C16/Plus4). That game was superb.
I'm trying to track down more stories for these Commodore machines - and I especially would love to talk to Udon Gertz for the magazine. He was very good at getting the most out of the C16/Plus4.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube