From the forum issue 128 - Favourite scrolling beat-'em-up

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ZeroCipher

Re: From the forum issue 128 - Favourite scrolling beat-'em-

Post by ZeroCipher » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:15 pm

It's an equal match between Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, Final Fight, and TMNT Arcade.

Honourable mentions to The Simpsons Arcade, Moonwalker Arcade, Scott Pilgrim, & Splatterhouse.
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:32 pm

Moonwalker is a strong favourite of mine. I love the music in both the SMS and MD versions. Its about as 'Wacko' as you can get too :wink:

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:48 pm

Double Dragon, an iconic arcade classic.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:44 pm

There's so many, that choosing a favorite is really hard. Final Fight, Streets of Rage II, Renegade, Double Dragon and even First Samurai on the Amiga, Turtles Arcade, Simpsons Arcade and Asterix are all awesome. If i did HAVE to choose just one, it would have to be Renegade, just for the challenge it throws at you, and the bone crunching sound effects on the Speccy version. Yeah, Renegade for me please. All the others come a very, very close second.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:58 pm

Nobody plumped for last battle yet on the MD? :shock:

Seriously though, Mazin Wars and Cyborg Justice were pretty good too. The animation was excellent on Cyborg Justice.

Eat your nans pants

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:49 am

For pure nostalgia, Kung Fu Master, as I'm pretty sure it was the first arcade game I played.

BUT, Final Fight was a big favourite of mine (finally completed it on PSP recently, damn hard in the later levels), and also the TMHT Coin Op.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:01 am

Streets of Rage 2 is probably the better game but my nostalgia for finishing the original with my brother and friends makes that my favourite.

I remember being at a new years eve party and my brother and our mate playing the Game Gear version linked up and finishing it!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

rednoggy

Post by rednoggy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:41 pm

Maximum carnage. I know there are far better examples of the genre but me and a mate hammered this when we were kids and I still go back to it now. Never played the sequel though :(

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:17 pm

Guardian Heroes easily. With multiple routes through the game and a storyline that changes depending on the route you take makes it a game you will play through many times over. There's also over 40 characters to collect and some great bosses and there is depth to the gameplay itself as your character gains experience points from killing enemies throughout which can then at the end of each level be added to your stats to improve your characters abilities.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:23 pm

It has to be Streets Of Rage 2. Everything about it was just perfect. Sound, graphics, gameplay. It was my 'show off' game for the MD when friends came over.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:05 am

Dungeons and Dragons: Shadows of Mystara, alternate routes, unique characters and big bosses, whats not to love?

PSN username - MartinPhantom

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:04 am

Kung-Fu Master for me, especially on the 64, just remember on the first level hold shift+G...

Charco

Post by Charco » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:58 pm

My favourite scrolling beat 'em up is Streets of Rage Remake, pretty much perfect in every way with all the characters, enemies, and scenes from the original trilogy, combined with possibly the best soundtrack of any game I've ever played.

I guess we can't vote for unofficial homebrew games though, right? Then it would have to be Streets of Rage 2 :-)