From the forum issue 128 - Favourite scrolling beat-'em-up

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ryan_McN

Re: From the forum issue 128 - Favourite scrolling beat-'em-

Post by Ryan_McN » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:08 am

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in the arcade. Superb music, vibrant and bright cartoon graphics with some excellent backdrops. Huge fun fighting against the baddies of the cartoon. More fun with friends!

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:26 am

In the arcade, it has to be Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. The graphics and setting are fantastic to look at; there's a neat driving bonus stage, and there's the added hazard of dinosaurs getting in the way of the fighting.

Worth a look is Capcom's Captain Commando, if only for the moments when, as a baby driving a man-sized fighting robot, you can jump in the cab of an even bigger fighting robot!

I remember having a lot of fun playing TMNT with some friends on what was supposed to be a school skating trip to Peterborough Ice Rink. But this turned to aggravation on finding out that if you complete the game, the machine just swallows any remaining credits you have.

At home, on the ST, I played a lot of Alien Storm - not sure if this counts, but it used short-range weapons in an identical fashion to fighting moves. There were some great sub-game shooting and racing stages and amusing animations as the aliens emerged from post boxes and other street furniture. Also fun was how the robot character would remove his own leg to use as a shotgun. Though in the arcade it loses out to more playable competition.

Although if we're upgrading to ranged weapons then I think Konami's Aliens beats any brawler. Though I suppose that's a 'run 'n' gun' game, despite not being a platformer and nobody runs... :lol:

To be honest, I can amuse myself playing through these brawlers in MAME but in the arcade they were just money hogs. Most relied on the same tactic to take your cash - you could lead the bad guys around the screen to tackle them one-at-a-time, but then you'd get locked in to a combo sequence of moves, during which time either someone throws a knife at you, or, if it's a sub-boss, he simply hits you from further away mid-way through the combo you're hitting him with, with no way for you to duck, dodge, or stop what you were doing and get out of the way.

As such, I think the only one that's even remotely fair is the Tekken Force mode in Tekken 3 on the Playstation, where you actually have a decent range of fighting moves and blocks available to you.

merman

Post by merman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:13 am

joefish wrote:
To be honest, I can amuse myself playing through these brawlers in MAME but in the arcade they were just money hogs. Most relied on the same tactic to take your cash - you could lead the bad guys around the screen to tackle them one-at-a-time, but then you'd get locked in to a combo sequence of moves, during which time either someone throws a knife at you, or, if it's a sub-boss, he simply hits you from further away mid-way through the combo you're hitting him with, with no way for you to duck, dodge, or stop what you were doing and get out of the way.

As such, I think the only one that's even remotely fair is the Tekken Force mode in Tekken 3 on the Playstation, where you actually have a decent range of fighting moves and blocks available to you.
I nearly commented on the Konami/Capcom formula myself - change the settings (a little), change the character to a different license and bingo, new game. Then there's the random bonus object syndrome, where you don't get the energy you need or a high-priced item (diamond or gold bar) that unbalances the scoring.

I liked Tekken Force as well, the time limit helped make you push on and improve your fighting technique.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:19 am

Double Dragon was my first love, but after that it has to be The Simpsons Arcade Game from Konami.

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Vigilante, cracking game, and I reckon this was the first arcade perfect game I owned. Honourable mentions to countless others..

Eat your nans pants

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:30 pm

I really liked Fist II - even with the bugs.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:06 pm

Streets of Rage 2 is the best in genre for me.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Gary Plowman

Post by Gary Plowman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:29 pm

Sinclair Spectrum - Target Renegade, it was massive!!
The Micro Kids: An 80s Adventure with ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64 and more
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0993474462/

ZX Spectrum Games Code Club
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0993474403/

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:41 am

Has to be Streets of Rage 2 for me. Just a brilliant game

craigritchie

Post by craigritchie » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:05 am

I'm not going to choose just one, and you can't make me. :)

Double Dragon
Golden Axe
Final Fight
Streets of Rage 2

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:56 am

markopoloman wrote:I really liked Fist II - even with the bugs.
I don't think it was so much the bugs as the wandering about through vast swathes of very similar looking empty space in between the sporadic fights.

The bog standard beat 'em up version on the flip side was pretty decent though.

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:00 am

I was going to say Turtles in Time, but then I remembered a little gem called Ninja Baseball Bat Man. The game is great and as mad as you like, but just say the title to yourself; Ninja. Baseball. Batman.

How much awesomeness does that conjure up in your mind?
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:28 am

Streets of Rage 2 for sure. The fact that a console-exclusive scrolling fighter can take on and beat arcade games and their bigger hardware is still impressive.

Honourable mentions (because they have to be made) go to Aliens Vs Predator, Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder, Ninja Baseball Batman, Battletoads (arcade version), Violent Storm and 64th Street: A Detective Story (the last one purely for being so bad!).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:03 am

I'm going with Double Dragon! It was superb in the arcades, then I loved the Amiga version, now I play the excellent Gameboy Advance version.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:44 am

My brother and I poured an awful lot of money in the original TMNT (I refuse to use TMHT) arcade machine, even though that was about the ONLY thing linked to the 80s cartoon series I liked. I was very much into the original b/w comics so the cartoon really was very kiddy by comparison heh.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...