From the forum issue 128 - Favourite scrolling beat-'em-up

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

NickThorpe

From the forum issue 128 - Favourite scrolling beat-'em-up

Post by NickThorpe » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:56 am

Hi guys, letters page time again - what's your favourite scrolling beat-'em-up?

I'm going to avoid the obvious and go with Die Hard Arcade. It's another of Makoto Uchida's games (he was also responsible for Altered Beast and Golden Axe), but it's loaded with humour - punks falling in bins, absurd wrestling moves and ridiculously OTT weaponry.

Hiro

Re: From the forum issue 128 - Favourite scrolling beat-'em-

Post by Hiro » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:10 am

Golden Axe. It remains a masterpiece, with a great set of characters and enemies, well designed levels, excellent graphics and music. Some of the touches (the clouds, the hawk, the magic spells) are as spectacular now as they were in 1989. And I love to hit those gnomes! :lol:

Raffaele (his Amiga was bashed by Death=Adder)

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:13 am

For me it would have to be Streets of Rage 3. The additional moves, alternative endings and hidden characters made this superior to SoR2, I mean who doesn't want to play as a boxing Kangaroo?! :lol:

Edit: Good call on Die Hard Arcade by the way, I played that game to death on a holiday in Skeggy many moons a go...

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:30 am

Bucky O'Hare, perhaps? It's more of a shooter but designed as a beat-em-up. Plus it "concludes" the cartoon series, which is nice.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:05 am

Streets of Rage 2 is obviously awesome but Return of Double Dragon on Super Famicom is my fav. Get past those ugly graphics and there is a superbly deep combat engine in there with the excellent block and counter system.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

merman

Post by merman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:16 am

For laughs and giggles it has to be Street Hassle on the C64 (aka Bop 'n Rumble, released on NES as Bad Street Brawler and infamous there for its Power Glove support). A wrestler in shiny yellow pants beats up grannies, blind men, dogs and escaped gorillas with silly moves including the nipple twister and belly barge. Don't ban this sick filth!
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:30 am

I am going to go for the bleeding obvious and say SoR II but giving an honourable mention to Taito's Arabian Magic. I don't know why I like it, I just do.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:55 pm

It's funny, I played so many after the original Double Dragon (arcade) but could never find anything that surpassed it. There's just something about that game.. I can't quite pinpoint it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:22 pm

It's impossible to look past the majesty of Streets Of Rage II, as home console beat 'em ups go nothing else comes close. If we are talking about arcade games though it just has to be Capcom's superb Alien Vs. Predator.
Last edited by The Laird on Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:36 pm

i should probably say streets of rage but i actually enjoy final fight more,especially if i play as mike haggar.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:08 pm

An obvious answer to this question, but it has to be Capcom's seminal Final Fight for me. Huge sprites and iconic characters that have gone on to star in subsequent fighting games since. A close second goes to Knights of the Round, especially when on horseback.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:54 pm

Why not ask me to choose which of my children I love the most, Final fight, Double dragon, Golden axe.......put a gun to my head and I will go with Final fight.

badda

Post by badda » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:06 pm

There's lots I like in this (nearly dead) genre. Target Renegade (Amstrad CPC version) was ace. Six-player version of Konami's X-Men (Arcade) was a revelation with a bunch of people playing it together. I'd like to mention Mechner's Karateka and Barnett's Fist 2 The Legend Continues, but both seem closer to one-on-one fighting games rather than true scrolling beat 'em ups.

All said though, my favourite beat 'em up is probably the original arcade version of Double Dragon. It captures a certain 'ooomph' to its impacts rarely bettered in later flashier entries in the genre.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:28 pm

Final Fight a fine fine game possibly the finest and the bench mark for every other scrolling beat em up.. Nobody can do Scrolling beat em ups like Capcom both Konami and Sega do come a close second..

Konami Vendetta was also brilliant totally unique stamping on people's hands when there hanging off a bridge etc.. Violent Storm probably the closest to Final Fight.. Special mention to Sega's Streets of Rage 2 and a Arcade a golden axe 1 & 2 and Arabian Fight massive characters, spirit scrolling and Naked S ale women;)
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:36 pm

I'd have to go for Kung Fu Master, for being in at the beginning of the genre and remaining one of its exemplars.