Retro Gamer - Issue 127

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 127

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:59 pm

Haven't read the whole thing yet, but the ColecoVision thing's good - Minority Report's always my favourite section, definitely.

Flipper Slipper's one that I play a lot on that ColecoVision, might I offer my own recommendation for the machine?

It's Only Rock N Roll is the name of the game, and it's a strangely addictive band management game. All you do is press numbers for what you want to do next (ie: "Record a song" "Go on tour" etc) but it's taken whole hours of my life in the past.

As for other old PC games I'd like to see covered, how about:

C-Dogs
Raptor: Call of the Shadows
Wacky Wheels
The first two Duke Nukem games (the platformer ones)
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:21 am

On a recent visit to Funspot spotted this...

Took them without flash, so they are a bit grainy.

Loved the arcade article, took me back to the heady days of Cleethorpes!

wildphoenix

Post by wildphoenix » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:17 pm

I personally just wanted to say how much the top 25 PS1 games article made me smile. Though I've been playing games since about 1988, the PS1 for me and the brotherling was the best time to be a gamer. And though there were some omissions that made me sad (FF9, Either of the Abe games, any Spyro, any Crash) I must say FF8's inclusion really gave me cause to smile.

There's so much hate out there for it, it was nice to see it recognised somewhere as such a neat game.

(I 'wasted' most of my GCSE summer holidays on it. Then there was 9, and the updates of the early FF's for PS1. It was a time to be alive for an RPG fan :D )

Anyway. Good job :)

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:08 pm

Cheers, glad you enjoyed it. Both Crash Bandicoot and Final Fantasy IX were in the top 40, which was quite something with 160 games voted for in total.

Funny story about Final Fantasy IX and this feature: I was back in Essex last week and ended up chatting to a member of staff in Cash Converters about the feature. He was asking if various games had made the list, and was sad to learn that IX hadn't made it in. I mentioned that it was actually the only one of the three main Playstation Final Fantasy games that I didn't own, and he informed me that there was a copy under the till priced at 50p. I bought it, turned out to be in great condition. A nice addition to the collection!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:24 pm

I'm grumpy (and about the right height for it too!)...mine still hasn't arrived! :x

Not RGs fault though....our local post has gone through reforms and is now appallingly slack

***It worked! It always arrives on the day I start to whinge about it!***

First flick through shows me this is going to be one of my fave issues for quite a while :)

pforson

Post by pforson » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:47 am

craigritchie wrote:Agree - this month's cover is awesome.

What did you all think of my Commander Keen piece, old PC games players? As always there is much more story to tell than can fit in x amount of pages (as the arcade story feedback shows) but I was happy working on this, and John Romero and Tom Hall were really fun to talk to. And playing through the game after all was a mix of nostalgic fun and frustration as I had to remember a ton of things in a game I had not played in... wow, more than 20 years?

Any other old PC making-ofs you guys would be particularly interested in seeing?
In addition to some of those already mentioned (Ultima Online, Wacky Wheels etc.), I'd quite like to see features based on these games:

The Settlers 2 (please please please)
Homeworld
Epic Pinball
Links Golf series
Lands of Lore
Screamer
Battle Isle series
Magic Carpet
Toonstruck
Caesar 3
Heroes of Might and Magic series
Space Hulk
Slipstream 5000

I assume when the new version of Carmageddon gets released, the original will make the cover ;)

To be honest, there's so many amazing PC games that have not yet been covered. Have you got anything interesting already in the pipeline?
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

pforson

Post by pforson » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:56 am

PostieDoc wrote:
merman wrote:
PostieDoc wrote:Generally a good issue. I loved the cover and particularly enjoyed the Jack The Nipper, Fairlight and Commander Keen articles.

One small whine, can we change focus in the Back To The Eighties and Back To The Nineties articles please?
The Eighties seems to always go with the start of the decade now before home gaming really became interesting (Speccy, C64, 16 bit computers and the like).
The Nineties on the other hand seems to always be nearing the end of the decade and focused almost entirely on the consoles.
Maybe we could have a few issues covering more of the Amiga/ ST in the 90s or if you are to choose a later year cover the PC more (it is known as the PCs golden era)?
Back to the 80s had already covered 1983-1989 and went back to 1980. Back to the Nineties is working its way forward and that's the point it has reached.
I didn't realise it went in sequence, I thought it was just random years.
Any chance of a bit more love for the PC in Back to the Nineties then rather than all console?
I second this request. The PC had it's finest hour in the late nineties and yet it barely gets mentioned in back to the nineties.

Why for instance, do no PC magazines appear in the 'This Month in...' Section?
In 1997 the megadrive and Amiga were practically dead and yet they get in???
I have a pile of old PC Zones from the era, back when the likes of Charlie Brooker was writing for them and they are still hilarious to read today!

I like the 'back to...' Features, but it would appear Richard sadly is no PC fan :(
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:44 pm

Some good stuff this month, being in Oxfordshire visits to arcades were few and far between, being limited to the fair and school trips. But I remember the sit-in Outrun at Drayton Manor (I think it was) and the Star Wars sit in cabinet too, was brilliant, especially when the Deathstar exploded in your ears , I remember playing Paperboy, APB and Enduro Racer and Gauntlet a lot too, was great fun, arcades just not the same now.

The top 25 Playstation games was of interest, good to see a large proportion of my collection in there, Parappa The Rapper and Die Hard Trilogy were superb as was anything to with Resident Evil (apart from possibly Survivor) surprised Silent Hill didn't feature, one of my personal PS1 favourites was Muppet Race Mania , the hours I spent playing on that , oh and Frogger.

Pacland article was good too, I was going to mention the non-mention of the Atari Lynx version as it's the only one i've played, but thanks for the reason for it not being there, so i'll leave i there.

Good to see Beeb Chuckie Egg get a mention, it's still great fun to play even now (as is probably any version). I was interested to read the article about games which couldn't be completed, absolutely true about Repton 2, mind you it was virtually impossible regardless, bug or no bug, but I don't remember the BBC version of Jet Set Willy being incompletable, I definitely completed the Acorn Electron version, but don't remember any oddities with the BBC version, what was the problem with it ? does anyone know?

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Fri May 02, 2014 10:46 am

Can I ask what size(resolution) the drawing for the front page is? I think it could be quadrupled and still look pixelated and even better. Possibly.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat May 03, 2014 2:09 pm

I would vote for less coverage of old PC games.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sun May 04, 2014 6:01 am

gman72 wrote:I would vote for less coverage of old PC games.
:evil:

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sun May 04, 2014 6:55 am

gman72 wrote:I would vote for less coverage of old PC games.
oh dear!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords