Retro Gamer - Issue 127

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

jdanddiet

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 127

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:56 am

Glad you liked the dd article gman. My interview with Simon Brattel has loads more that didn't make it in so hopefully there will be more from him at some point.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:05 pm

Well I loved this months issue, especially the Arcade special, fantastic work there, makes me want to up my game with my future publications after reading this issue, so kudos, overall a really well fleshed out issue, so congrats to all involved this month :D ,

Hoping that next month round will be as good, keep it up ;)
↓↓Click Banners to See More↓↓
ImageImage

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:41 pm

craigritchie wrote:Agree - this month's cover is awesome.

What did you all think of my Commander Keen piece, old PC games players? As always there is much more story to tell than can fit in x amount of pages (as the arcade story feedback shows) but I was happy working on this, and John Romero and Tom Hall were really fun to talk to. And playing through the game after all was a mix of nostalgic fun and frustration as I had to remember a ton of things in a game I had not played in... wow, more than 20 years?

Any other old PC making-ofs you guys would be particularly interested in seeing?
Haven't got to it yet, but really looking forward to it! I'm actually playing through Commander Keen at the moment, I'd forgotten how hard it is. The levels are huge!

Agreed on the cover. It's a stunner.

There's so many PC games I'd love to see covered. Shooters like Thexder and Silpheed maybe? A Fatal Racing feature would be cool. I'll second merman's Wing Commander request, although I imagine Chris Roberts is a very busy person these days.

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:48 pm

Eric wrote:Darran & Sega Rally on the back cover is a nice touch - best back cover?
The first thing I thought was how great the front cover was, then I looked at the back and was a bit worried that they didn't get an advert. I hope they aren't struggling to get advertising.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:51 am

Just read the PacLand article, which I enjoyed. However it was missing the "In the know" box out, so I had to discern it's year of release by working out where it fitted in the Pac game list.

I'm definitely going to dig out the C64 version though. I didn't like it when I was a kid, but that might have been to do with its difficulty level. It'll be interesting to see what my 7yo son thinks of it :) (His favourite game is Manic Miner atm).

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:46 pm

I've only just got it today (my local newsagent is rather sporadic in getting them in and I'm not a subscriber - I had to get it this month from two towns away) so I've only had a quick glance through. I have to say that I was surprised to be one of those quoted in the Playstation article though - a pleasant surprise, admittedly - and not my first time in print (I had a letter & a "tip" for making a guard look daft in Perfect Dark printed in N64 magazine back in the day - those weren't the same issue though.)
Where logic won't work, I will

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:07 pm

Mailbox arrival today.
Very nice cover, but I'm wondering if there is enough contrast in it to get the buyer attention you are looking for? Just wondering.

Gary Plowman

Post by Gary Plowman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:26 pm

I'm getting this!
Fairlight was my one of first full-price buys!
The Micro Kids: An 80s Adventure with ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64 and more
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0993474462/

ZX Spectrum Games Code Club
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0993474403/

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:04 pm

just read the excellent Fairlight piece, there is a pic that shows the screen with the bug that stopped the game being finished and then the next pic is of the end screen?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:10 pm

Love the cover but the mag is buried beneath a load of other unread mags at the moment :oops:

Have to say that the next issue looks absolutely killer for me: Tekken, Streets of Rage, beat 'em ups, Sega Saturn and Golden Axe? Methinks that 128 will be jumping up the reading order even if the others are still unread :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

MartynC

Post by MartynC » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:57 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:just read the excellent Fairlight piece, there is a pic that shows the screen with the bug that stopped the game being finished and then the next pic is of the end screen?
You can use a poke to unlock every door and see the final room and end screen. You just can't do it without 'cheating'.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:00 pm

MartynC wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:just read the excellent Fairlight piece, there is a pic that shows the screen with the bug that stopped the game being finished and then the next pic is of the end screen?
You can use a poke to unlock every door and see the final room and end screen. You just can't do it without 'cheating'.
ok thanks for the info

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:28 am

love this issue so far, and one of the best covers ever, as already mentioned numerously. If there is such a word as numerously.

Also as I think mentioned already would love to read a whole book about arcades, the RG article just made me almost cry, covered nicely the history of arcades but WHY DID IT HAVE TO DIE??!! WHYYYYYYY!!!

*cries inconsolably for about 12 seconds then stops abruptly to get up and go eat dinner*

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:16 am

I liked the cover, brings back a memory or two. We didn't have any arcades nearby but the local supermarkets had a few cabinets. Oh and I tried to find a Strider cabinet from the cover but couldn't :shock: :lol:

I never played Fairlight but maybe I should, it looks interesting.

I would have liked to read something about Jack the Nipper II as well, it was a favourite game of mine on a C64.

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:42 pm

The Laird wrote:I am really glad to hear that so many people liked my ColecoVision Minority Report! :D

I had a great time compiling it as I pretty much spent an entire week playing ColecoVision games to try and uncover some gems that people might not have played before. The system really does have a fantastic library, I found very few duffers and the machine really does excel at arcade conversions. I was really surprised how many great games there were outside of the more well known games. Nova Blast is just terrific, I can see myself going back to that game again and again!
Great issue in general, and I especially appreciated the Colecovision and Intellivision articles.
Actually, I am very fond too of Nova Blast. I had my picture appearing on a magazine for setting a high score there in the 80's... Has anyone ever heard of the Imagic Match competition?

So, sorry for being picky about that, I wanted to point out a couple of slight imprecisions in the otherwise wonderful Nova Blast review. First, the scanner is at the bottom of the screen, not at the top. Secondly, the energy carried by the ship is used to recharge the cities' protective shields and not to protect the ship itself. It also depletes over time if not used, making it pointles harvesting huge quantities if not really needed. The actual ship's shields can sustain up to 9 hits, and this is shown by the 8 small dots, 4 on each side of the scanner. Once they are all gone, a single further hit means game over.
This really adds complexity to the game's strategy.