Retro Gamer - Issue 127

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

merman

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 127

Post by merman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:07 am

psj3809 wrote:That's what I hope happens. This feature this month was great as it's also like a immature of the arcade scene, I really enjoyed it.

But hopefully in the near future another large feature solely on 80s arcade games as these were the boom years would be well received. Sure it would be popular and the US readers would also enjoy it
I'd like to see another feature on the unusual and interesting cabinets - from the wonky Gotcha to the thrill ride of G-Loc in the R360 that spins you right round.

For me those experiences you could not replicate at home were part of the arcade's appeal.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

4am

Post by 4am » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:46 pm

I don't usually comment on front covers (or much at all, as my post count illustrates) but this month's is awesome.

Kudos to those responsible.

craigritchie

Post by craigritchie » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:03 am

Agree - this month's cover is awesome.

What did you all think of my Commander Keen piece, old PC games players? As always there is much more story to tell than can fit in x amount of pages (as the arcade story feedback shows) but I was happy working on this, and John Romero and Tom Hall were really fun to talk to. And playing through the game after all was a mix of nostalgic fun and frustration as I had to remember a ton of things in a game I had not played in... wow, more than 20 years?

Any other old PC making-ofs you guys would be particularly interested in seeing?

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:02 am

Ordered from the store, looking forward to it! :)

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:14 am

As an arcade lover, this issue is right up my street. Nice to see some Intellevision & Coleco coverage as well, best issue for ages :D

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:50 am

BennyTheGreek wrote:Thanks for the colecovision pages - just picked one up last week but no games....
Have only flicked through the article so apologies for maybe jumping the gun but, on first glance, if you've just got a Colecovision, the games featured are not the ones to go for first. In fact it's probably more useful as what games NOT to buy first.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:07 am

Surely that's subjective though? Also minority reports don't tend to focus on the best ever games, so there's that to keep in mind as well.

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:21 pm

Absolutely. Nothing to do with the article in itself, it was more of a cautious word to a new Colecovision owner.
New system, no games. I thought he might want to go for the 'best' games on the system first before looking into the more "obscure" titles.

Apart from Turbo of course which wasn't an obscure title, it was one of the big launch titles. And it's very good.

[edit] I just checked the 'best' games lists
http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=15909

but there isn't one for the Colecovision. :(

merman

Post by merman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:51 pm

craigritchie wrote:Agree - this month's cover is awesome.

What did you all think of my Commander Keen piece, old PC games players? As always there is much more story to tell than can fit in x amount of pages (as the arcade story feedback shows) but I was happy working on this, and John Romero and Tom Hall were really fun to talk to. And playing through the game after all was a mix of nostalgic fun and frustration as I had to remember a ton of things in a game I had not played in... wow, more than 20 years?

Any other old PC making-ofs you guys would be particularly interested in seeing?
Good feature Craig, and nice to hear from Tom Hall. Also liked the "best moments" idea.

Would be good to see something on Wing Commander.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:04 pm

I am really glad to hear that so many people liked my ColecoVision Minority Report! :D

I had a great time compiling it as I pretty much spent an entire week playing ColecoVision games to try and uncover some gems that people might not have played before. The system really does have a fantastic library, I found very few duffers and the machine really does excel at arcade conversions. I was really surprised how many great games there were outside of the more well known games. Nova Blast is just terrific, I can see myself going back to that game again and again!

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:07 pm

Fantastic issue. Nice cover and the arcade article was informative and a thoroughly good read! You hit the nail on the head by stating that arcades were the places where graphics and sound were well ahead of what you experienced on a home computer during the 80's - something that the young un's today don't get. Would liked to have seen a mention about Shinobi, Rolling Thunder or even Kung Fu Master as these were some of my top games that I hoped I would see as I entered an arcade clutching my shrapnel....

I also enjoyed the Jack The Nipper article.
Well done RG team!

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:53 pm

Loved the Commander Keen article.

Other old PC makings off (forgive me if they have been done in an older issue) I would love to see are The Bards Tale, Blade Runner, Freelancer, Neverwinter Nights, Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri,
Ultima Online.

Not asking for much then but I think Ultima Online in particular would make for some good reading as it was the first really popular MMO.
It is also a real shame everyone then copied the Everquest template rather than UO.

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:00 pm

I second a go at SMAC/X! :)

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:16 pm

Darran & Sega Rally on the back cover is a nice touch - best back cover?

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:00 am

I quite enjoyed what I've read so far, yes the cover is excellent and it's great that there is some long over due Playstation love. I was a huge fan of Design Design games back in the day with Dark Star on the speccy being my fave so I was very interested in that piece. I enjoyed the arcade article but also agree that the 80s section was oddly bereft of many influential titles. I have no interest in Colecovision but that's obviously subjective and you can't please everyone etc etc. overall a good issue. You guys really need to print an amended price for T2K as that error might effect sales.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD