Retro Gamer - Issue 127

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

PostieDoc

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 127

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:41 am

merman wrote:
PostieDoc wrote:Generally a good issue. I loved the cover and particularly enjoyed the Jack The Nipper, Fairlight and Commander Keen articles.

One small whine, can we change focus in the Back To The Eighties and Back To The Nineties articles please?
The Eighties seems to always go with the start of the decade now before home gaming really became interesting (Speccy, C64, 16 bit computers and the like).
The Nineties on the other hand seems to always be nearing the end of the decade and focused almost entirely on the consoles.
Maybe we could have a few issues covering more of the Amiga/ ST in the 90s or if you are to choose a later year cover the PC more (it is known as the PCs golden era)?
Back to the 80s had already covered 1983-1989 and went back to 1980. Back to the Nineties is working its way forward and that's the point it has reached.
I didn't realise it went in sequence, I thought it was just random years.
Any chance of a bit more love for the PC in Back to the Nineties then rather than all console?

Stevearcade

Post by Stevearcade » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:41 am

Really good issue. Best in a while for me, as it touched on a lot of my gaming loves, even FZeroGX.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:47 am

I've had an email from a forum member asking why freelancers are allowed to question errors and no one else is (he's referring to laird simply pointing out that Pac-Land was missing.

This is what happened. The Atari Lynx conversion was missed by our designer. That's it. A mistake.
Here's the text

ATARI LYNX
conversion-lynx.png
An excellent conversion, although it admittedly zooms the screen size in a bit in order for Pac to be a bit bigger on the smaller screen. But it looks good and plays well, with decent controls, and even includes the cool parallax scrolling of the coin-op.

Jon missed it. That's it. A simple mistake. No conspiracy, nothing to do with the original writer not being able to do his job, by missing such an obvious omission, or copying directly off wikipedia (which we're recently been accused of) Just a simple mistake and the one person who should have picked it up (which I did as soon as I got back and looked through the proofs) was off for three weeks with a perforated bowel.

Anyone can point out mistakes or query why something is missing, whether they are a freelancer or a reader. We've been accused of letting freelancers question each other's mistakes and not allowing readers to do the same, which is ridiculous. If the laird had said anything in a derogatory manner or used snide emoticons he's have been treated the same as a reader. I'm frankly getting quite tired of certain freelancers being hounded by certain people and I'm not having it spill into a thread for feedback.

I don't want this thread derailed.
It's to remain discussing the mag's contents only. Please PM me if you have any issues with that.

RichL

Post by RichL » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:08 pm

Best cover in a long, long while.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:16 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've had an email from a forum member asking why freelancers are allowed to question errors and no one else is (he's referring to laird simply pointing out that Pac-Land was missing.

This is what happened. The Atari Lynx conversion was missed by our designer. That's it. A mistake.
Here's the text

ATARI LYNX
conversion-lynx.png
An excellent conversion, although it admittedly zooms the screen size in a bit in order for Pac to be a bit bigger on the smaller screen. But it looks good and plays well, with decent controls, and even includes the cool parallax scrolling of the coin-op.

Jon missed it. That's it. A simple mistake. No conspiracy, nothing to do with the original writer not being able to do his job, by missing such an obvious omission, or copying directly off wikipedia (which we're recently been accused of) Just a simple mistake and the one person who should have picked it up (which I did as soon as I got back and looked through the proofs) was off for three weeks with a perforated bowel.

Anyone can point out mistakes or query why something is missing, whether they are a freelancer or a reader. We've been accused of letting freelancers question each other's mistakes and not allowing readers to do the same, which is ridiculous. If the laird had said anything in a derogatory manner or used snide emoticons he's have been treated the same as a reader. I'm frankly getting quite tired of certain freelancers being hounded by certain people and I'm not having it spill into a thread for feedback.

I don't want this thread derailed.
It's to remain discussing the mag's contents only. Please PM me if you have any issues with that.
Thanks for the explanation Darran, I did think it was strange!

Mistakes happen, we are all human after all.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:35 pm

My only feedback is, how come people are getting their magazine so early? I'm a subscriber too and still no sight of it..... :?
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:53 pm

Nemesis wrote:My only feedback is, how come people are getting their magazine so early? I'm a subscriber too and still no sight of it..... :?
Your postman is reading it right now.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:54 pm

Could be a delay. We only got ours today.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:14 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Could be a delay. We only got ours today.
Cheers Darran, I'm an impatient so and so when others have got the mag already. I want to leave feedback dammit! :lol:
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:11 am

I'm a subscriber too, but digitally, so I have to wait to street date as usual. This thread is killing me.:( Looking so forward to the Keen article!

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:21 pm

perforated bowel.. doesn't sound too great mate, hope you're doing ok now.

All this health nonsense to deal with as one gets older, damn.. just gets in the way. ;)

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:44 pm

Yay! Issue arrived today. Just skimmed through so far but went straight to the Arcade article. Whilst the article appears well written, I can understand halcyondazes frustration regarding the 80's section. I think the trouble is that because there were so many iconic games in that period, a four page resume was never going to do it justice.

It really needs a 10 page article all on its own but appreciate space is an issue.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:43 pm

Nemesis wrote:Yay! Issue arrived today. Just skimmed through so far but went straight to the Arcade article. Whilst the article appears well written, I can understand halcyondazes frustration regarding the 80's section. I think the trouble is that because there were so many iconic games in that period, a four page resume was never going to do it justice.

It really needs a 10 page article all on its own but appreciate space is an issue.
I suppose another way of looking at it is that there are lots of future issues that can re-visit 80's arcades! :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:54 am

That's what I hope happens. This feature this month was great as it's also like a immature of the arcade scene, I really enjoyed it.

But hopefully in the near future another large feature solely on 80s arcade games as these were the boom years would be well received. Sure it would be popular and the US readers would also enjoy it

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:30 pm

Bugger, couple of small clangers in my Intellivision article

Mattel started off making dolls houses and picture frames not toys per se...
Also, the intellivision noise generator created the crowd cheer, should have mentioned that in the atari vs intellivison box out
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords