Retro Gamer - Issue 127

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

mikeb

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 127

Post by mikeb » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:20 pm

psj3809 wrote:Enjoyed the arcade article. A lot there but yes I do wish the 80s section was expanded upon more. Perhaps top 25 arcade machines etc or just generally more on the 80s arcade scene. I'm sure many of us have MAME on our computers/handhelds etc. would love much more arcade stuff in the mag in the future.
Yeah four pages was barely enough to even scratch the surface really. Ithought Eugene had some good stuff to say about the comparison between Japanese and American coin-op design though and it was interesting to hear what other designers who had been around in the day thought of the competition.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:02 pm

The CV is a triumph of sw and marketing over hw.

The hw is kinda censored-poor really, but the games are still fab. I _so_ wanted a CV yonks ago before I got to know hw. I wanted the Amiga purely on hw alone.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:29 pm

I do wish the 80s section was expanded upon more. Perhaps top 25 arcade machines etc or just generally more on the 80s arcade scene
agreed, is basically just 80-83 for the vast majority of the article, Defender only just scraped into the 1980's and how the likes of Bezerk, Wizard Of Wor, Battlezone etc get more coverage than Outrun, Afterburner, Gauntlet etc is a complete farce.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:42 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
I do wish the 80s section was expanded upon more. Perhaps top 25 arcade machines etc or just generally more on the 80s arcade scene
agreed, is basically just 80-83 for the vast majority of the article, Defender only just scraped into the 1980's and how the likes of Bezerk, Wizard Of Wor, Battlezone etc get more coverage than Outrun, Afterburner, Gauntlet etc is a complete farce.
The 'Golden Age' that everyone (of my age) remembers was 80-84-ish so yes, that was the period that was concentrated on in the interviews. Sorry if it wasn't your cup of tea, but I felt I should concentrate on those years as being the most critical and important, especially given the limited space.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:29 pm

Don't get me wrong I really liked the article. A lot of content to fill despite all the pages. Looked great and I enjoyed the read. I do hope this is a start of something, eg a future article further in depth on arcades in the 80s with all those classics.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:28 pm

Hope the price error on the review of Txk on Vita doesnt put anyone off buying it - its only £5.49 - not the £39.99 quoted in the box above the review.

Thanks for the colecovision pages - just picked one up last week but no games....

Rich@Option4Studios

Post by Rich@Option4Studios » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:01 pm

BennyTheGreek wrote:Hope the price error on the review of Txk on Vita doesnt put anyone off buying it - its only £5.49 - not the £39.99 quoted in the box above the review.

Thanks for the colecovision pages - just picked one up last week but no games....
I haven't bought the issue yet but feel bad for Jeff if that's the case. Hope Retro Gamer provide a correction in the following issue.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:11 pm

This issue looks right up my alley (not literally). Arcade, Intellivision, Colecovision, nice wee feature on Playstation...and a fab cover. I'll be ordering this the moment it appears in the shop :)

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:48 pm

Generally a good issue. I loved the cover and particularly enjoyed the Jack The Nipper, Fairlight and Commander Keen articles.

One small whine, can we change focus in the Back To The Eighties and Back To The Nineties articles please?
The Eighties seems to always go with the start of the decade now before home gaming really became interesting (Speccy, C64, 16 bit computers and the like).
The Nineties on the other hand seems to always be nearing the end of the decade and focused almost entirely on the consoles.
Maybe we could have a few issues covering more of the Amiga/ ST in the 90s or if you are to choose a later year cover the PC more (it is known as the PCs golden era)?

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:00 pm

Just got it but have not had a chance to read it yet, The PS games article is a nice change of pace and freshens the mag up a bit. Looking forward to reading it and I am sure I will find things to like and dislike about the issue. Fully expecting the good stuff to far outweigh the bad stuff as is usually the case.

So no real feedback as yet, but really really wanted to post to say how nice the cover is.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:49 pm

Surprised Rage Racer placed higher than Grasn Turismo. I enjoyed RR at the time but even then could see how dated the mechanics were, and GT came along and completely blew it out of the water

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:06 pm

The Laird wrote: One thing though - very strange to see the superb Lynx version of Pac-Land didn't get a mention!
Odd. I'm pretty sure I did a write up on it. You're right it's ace.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:19 am

Negative Creep wrote:Surprised Rage Racer placed higher than Grasn Turismo. I enjoyed RR at the time but even then could see how dated the mechanics were, and GT came along and completely blew it out of the water
I am surprised at that- Though agree with it! I enjoy RR much more than GT, it's simply far more fun (to me). Although I'm very confident I'm in a minority there! :)

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:33 am

Best cover ever!

Really looking forward to this issue - excited about the arcade feature, and Jack The Nipper & Chuckie Egg are both two games I loved as a kid.

Nice one :)

merman

Post by merman » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:59 am

PostieDoc wrote:Generally a good issue. I loved the cover and particularly enjoyed the Jack The Nipper, Fairlight and Commander Keen articles.

One small whine, can we change focus in the Back To The Eighties and Back To The Nineties articles please?
The Eighties seems to always go with the start of the decade now before home gaming really became interesting (Speccy, C64, 16 bit computers and the like).
The Nineties on the other hand seems to always be nearing the end of the decade and focused almost entirely on the consoles.
Maybe we could have a few issues covering more of the Amiga/ ST in the 90s or if you are to choose a later year cover the PC more (it is known as the PCs golden era)?
Back to the 80s had already covered 1983-1989 and went back to 1980. Back to the Nineties is working its way forward and that's the point it has reached.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube