Why do you buy Retro Gamer?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

kiwimike

Re: Why do you buy Retro Gamer?

Post by kiwimike » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:33 pm

It is interesting reading the comments through this topic, IMO it emphasises how difficult it is to please all the people all the time. It's a poison chalice on a hiding to nothing really. You'll have one that wants more old computers, one that wants newer consoles. Someone doesn't like the 'popular faves' over and over while another has an issue with machines they've never heard of featuring too often. Some think there is too much 'brand x'; while another says there isn't enough and another says it's just right.

I enjoy the mag but damn sure I wouldn't want to be attempting to cover to everyone's tastes! :lol:

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:01 pm

to be honest: i buy it because retro gaming is my main hobby and what people know me for.

i like reading about the charts of the 80s and 90s
i like reading the letters that other readers sent in (even had one featured of mine- woo :) )
i like seeing something i remember first time round being featured
i like learning about another system, pricing it up and the missus telling me that no i am not having a 10th system
i like taking the mag to work, someone asking me what i am reading and then them saying i am reading 'a nerd magazine again'
most of all i like it because its part of the hobby i chose to go back to after 10 years away, its part of something much bigger than just a magazine

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:59 pm

For the great moment I see a game ive played or completed and can learn more!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:00 pm

Amending my post to why DID (as in post tense) i buy the magazine.

Sub to be cancelled.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:29 pm

bensonrad wrote:Many reasons:
Part Nostalgia
Part I love learning/hearing about things I missed first time round
Part Great in depth interviews with the big players back in the day
Part Brings together a lot of like minded people, many of the Retro Events around the UK, I've only learned about from the magazine and its forum, makes you really feel like part of something.
Partly I subscribe and that represents pretty good value, I have a long commute to work and love to read a proper mag (I don't subscribe to anything else).
Part it is still a great mag and it amazes me new stuff still gets uncovered.

Keep it up, is what I say
I should really subscribe myself as it would save me a fortune (International customer/reader). One of the main reasons I don't is practicality, I wouldn't have the space to keep them all, so buy the ones from the store that really appeal as they come out (and bookazines). I'd say I would have about 90 of what has come out.
Of course, I could get myself a reader and subscribe electronically, but I'm an old fart that loves the physical mag. What can you do? :lol:

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:41 am

bensonrad wrote:Many reasons:
Part Nostalgia
Part I love learning/hearing about things I missed first time round
Part Great in depth interviews with the big players back in the day
Part Brings together a lot of like minded people, many of the Retro Events around the UK, I've only learned about from the magazine and its forum, makes you really feel like part of something.
Partly I subscribe and that represents pretty good value, I have a long commute to work and love to read a proper mag (I don't subscribe to anything else).
Part it is still a great mag and it amazes me new stuff still gets uncovered.

Keep it up, is what I say
Pretty much this.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:09 am

I enjoy the magazine as a whole , but love finding out a nugget of information that i didn't realise years ago .

The interviews with the " old " programmers is always a great read .

Even reading about stuff you already know (e.g Knight lore article ) is still a pleasure , waves of nostalgia wash over me every month !

I don't think we all realise how lucky we are to have a such great publication every month ! :)
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:32 am

It's the only mag today that features proper games and not those new fangled modern interactive entertainment. :D

The interviews with programmers and making of's are the biggest draw. From the Archives and Moments with are great too as well as In the Chair where us readers get to pitch questions to game makers.

Back To series is great to as it matches world news & music charts of the time to what was happening in the games world. (possible add top 3 movies?)

The screenshots of pixels my biggest reason as I don't think there will ever be another mag to feature these and with such a big count.

Still don't like Future Classics.

Rich@Option4Studios

Post by Rich@Option4Studios » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:46 pm

I love reading about the history of a game or software house and those involved. You got to know quite a few names back in the 80's so it great to hear what they thought and what they're up to now.

It's also great to read about games or systems I never knew about or had access to. Plus reminding you of games you'd forgotten about.

As a graphic designer I also think they do a grand job of putting modern graphic design together with classic game graphics. I envy their excellent layout skills :D

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:01 pm

I first bought it because it was the only magazine that covers older games and hardware and had the scope to keep me interested.

I subscribed because it was a lot cheaper to do so than to buy each mag individually.

I cancelled my sub after about 2 years, because I just wasn't being as entertained by the mag as I once was. I would receive it, read the letters/ columns and news, future classics and homebrew sections with maybe an article about a particular game, or "top 10" and that was it. I found that there was just too much of the mag that didn't interest me, and it happened over a period of quite a few months. A slow realisation that I just wasn't as interested in the articles being produced anymore I'm afraid to say.
I also quite like to read about what is happening now in the retro scene, events, get togethers, new hardware and software for older systems, that kind of thing, and there just wasn't enough of it. I am also likely to get lynched for it, but, even though I love my 8 bit, and I'll miss reading about it when it's gone, I do feel like there is scope to open up to newer hardware and games.

If I pick up an issue now, it's because it has a variety of smaller articles that pique my interest. I just got turned off by the multi page spreads on games that didn't interest me or long winded interviews with programmers, and found a chore to read.

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:26 pm

I buy selectively based on content.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:02 pm

To learn something I do not know already - I am one of those that do not want to have a recap of nostalgia of stuff I have already seen or heard.

And retro because I think an enormous part of gameplay got lost when you switched from a 2D view where you saw all around you to a 3D view where you typically see a lot less/only in front of you. I am happy to see RG pick up contemporary games doing 2D.
Last edited by NorthWay on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:11 pm

PanzerGeneral wrote:I buy selectively based on content.
I think that's the most sensible option and certainly the one that gives most value for money.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:25 pm

It certainly seems strange to buy a mag that offers little to you. I only routinely buy empire nowadays, although i do sub to pc gamer as I always end up reading a good 75% of it.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:47 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It certainly seems strange to buy a mag that offers little to you. I only routinely buy empire nowadays, although i do sub to pc gamer as I always end up reading a good 75% of it.
That's my biggest regret - ending my PC Gamer sub. I think I might just get it going again. If memory serves, I only cancelled that because Imagine got this new and damn good PC gaming mag a few years back.... such a shame it never made it and even worse they never did anything with it online :(
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/