Why do you buy Retro Gamer?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bub&Bob

Re: Why do you buy Retro Gamer?

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:13 am

Funny, I was pondering the very same question the other day. I can't remember how far back exactly but I know I haven't read issue 100 onwards. Up until recently I would just flick through and then put it with the rest in the shelf. The last few ive just put it straight in the shelf.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:00 am

Love the nostalgic feelings i get from simply seeing screenshots, old games talked about by the programmers, 'best of's for particular systems (Helps me with finding the best games ;)

I'm more of a 'flicker' though with the magazine, tend to thumb through it, read some articles which jump out at me, later on that month i'll start to read some of the other ones which didnt initially interest me.

Have all the magazines lined up in a row on my shelf and the odd ones taken with me to the bath (or the 'other office' ;), got quite a few digital ones as well to read on the go. Still not into super technical pieces so i'm glad RG hasnt gone that way

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:15 am

For me it's several things:
- Pure nostalgia when games/systems are covered that were a big part of my child hood
- Learning about the history of systems that I have very little to no knowledge of. Recent example being the Wonderswan article
- Discovering games for a system that I own but have never played or heard. Another recent example being Monster Max from the top 25 GameBoy list
- Although a small section, I really enjoy the "Back to 19xx" section (The actual name escapes me right now sorry!) I particularly enjoy reading the 1990's section as that is my main gaming era :)

rockdjuk

Post by rockdjuk » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:17 am

Good question - and sometimes when its top heavy with Nintendo and Japanese stuff I do wonder.

Habit is one reason , I have every issue and have subscribed for a year and a half so want to keep the collection going.

Nostalgia - definitely. Why else would you buy a retro mag ?

The fact it's the only retro mag is also a factor, though if another came out I wouldn't be surprised if I bought both.

Oh and because i need reading material for the bog too.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:02 am

Because it's written by people who live retro games as much as I do, and it's not infested with the cynicism seen elsewhere in videogame coverage on the web and in print.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:18 am

For me, its been a love/hate relationship, often hindered by this forum, if I'm honest.

RG has undoubtedly expanded my knowledge of older systems and fuelled an interest in games and systems I otherwise wouldn't have - I wouldn't have a Gamecube or N64 without the mag.

I also buy it in the hope it will feature more of the things I'd like to see, like Vic 20.

I'm sometimes disappointed, other times, not.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:58 am

I love the computers of the '80s.

I'm very interested in the behind the scenes stories of the companies that made the games, or published them.

I'm very interested in the stories behind the games themselves.

There aren't at least 8 pages next month of Modern PS1 Gamer. Oh, wait... :wink:

Anyway, it's mostly great, and a few modern bits or console features aren't enough to put me off. I read every word of every page (not counting things like most of the credits and the contents page).
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:57 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
joefish wrote:Because some of it covers homebrew games! :lol:
Joking aside is that the sole reason? That's a hell of an outlay if it is!
No, it's a subliminal suggestion phrased to avoid the form of feedback to expand the homebrew bit!

There's a lot of nostalgia in there and I'm hugely interested in what influenced the developers of the time and how they worked, since I was too young at the time to appreciate where all these games came from. And so some of the articles seem to me to get bogged down in the business side of things rather than the games development, but I guess that just depends on who you're talking to and what their role was. They're still interesting reading though.

I also like to hear about games on systems I may have missed, and how these old machines and games fared in the rest of the world. Though again it bugs me when people adopt a US-biased revisionism of games history, or pick and choose sales figures to boast about their particular niche, or conflate the MSX1 and 2 as if anyone in the UK ever saw an MSX2.

And then there's the fact that most modern games are rubbish...

Unfortunately I can't offer to buy the magazine any more than I do, but if there's one thing I'd appreciate more it's to get stuck in to a few more technical details in places. Not everywhere, but where it matters. Like machine specs that aren't consistent from one machine to the next, so aren't comparable. Or going on about differences in machine graphics without bothering to explain why those differences exist.

I've bought GamesTM in the past and read their Retro bit, which is OK, but the rest of the mag is just reviews that are largely wrong about everything. That's if they even mention what the game involves rather than waffling on about it's 'significance' or some other irrelevant notion. I buy EDGE occasionally to read some in-depth articles from current developers, but I don't buy it again for a few months as they're invariably pathetic, pointless and completely inconclusive. "Like, there's this problem with game development, where everyone's sexist/under-appreciative/manipulative, and it leads to all these problems, etc. etc. page of waffle etc. etc. and I really think it would be great if, like, someone could do something about it.[END]".

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:01 pm

Because there's bugger all else on the shelves since PC Zone died.

And, yes, nostalgia. Of course it is hard to justify that when issues are mostly packed with systems and games I've never heard of. But at least I'm learning something, I suppose.

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:08 pm

When I first saw load 25 I was drawn in. I didn't realize it at the time but Retro Gamer spoke to my interests and did something I hadn't seen in other magazines - priority in writing articles on older generation games. At first I was selective in what I decided to read wherein each successive issue I read more content. It wasn't until load 33 that I knew this was the magazine for me since I could no longer read a few excerpts at the book store.
3rd Strike was the marquee arcade fighting game where I lived and when I thought about it I didn't know much about the series in general. I came on board for Street Fighter and stayed for everything else. It's not just the content but the quality and variety, which speaks to the longevity of the magazine. I doubt I would have any interest in micro-computers such as the Amiga and Spectrum had it not been for RG. Looking back my only regret was not getting on board sooner, although the drawback with such a voluminous magazine having subscribed since load 40 is the space to house all those issues.
Last edited by Limbrooke on Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:34 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
gman72 wrote:I buy it in the vain hope that I might see some more PS1 coverage some time soon :oops:
... oh yeah... the nostalgia :oops:
You'll see at least 8 pages next month.
That I think is a wise decision for the future health of the mag.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:20 pm

Lol, I typed out a big post yesterday at work in my lunchbreak, only to have the forum crash and censored itself! Brought back memories of typing in listings... :lol:

Hmm...I buy RG because I have a passion for games and the industry in general, and it's history. And as I've become an old fart I actually enjoy reading and studying the history of gaming through Mags, Books & DVDs more than playing the games. Nostalgia plays a large part too of course. But without passion, nostalgia wouldn't have you buy a mag every month or other month.

I still enjoy the mag, very much. From a personal point of view I do believe a bit more of the PS1/N64/Saturn era could start to emerge as it is most definitely retro nowadays, and more of machines that don't feature as much as the 'usual suspects' (although fully understand the sources available for the prominent machines like say the Spectrum are more plentiful and so easier to organise for tight deadlines etc). I am very much looking forward to the upcoming arcade issue, and would love to see another feature like the Grandstand Tabletop one. Company retroinspections I think would be a welcome addition too- Like Bandai for handhelds & software, Taito for arcades, Casio for their game watches and calculators...just a good mix :)

Some months of course are more interesting to me than others, but I'm sure that reverses for others. It's subjective, and hard to cater all tastes of gamers, covering not only multi formats but multi eras too :)

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:11 pm

I've bought RG since issue 1.

I buy it today for the same reason I started buying it: the old games and systems. There's nothing else like it and I hope it continues for years.
Thoughts and prayers.

Cripper2

Post by Cripper2 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:25 pm

I buy it mainly because I am too lazy to cancel the direct debit. I really liked the magazine when it was first published

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:12 pm

Many reasons:
Part Nostalgia
Part I love learning/hearing about things I missed first time round
Part Great in depth interviews with the big players back in the day
Part Brings together a lot of like minded people, many of the Retro Events around the UK, I've only learned about from the magazine and its forum, makes you really feel like part of something.
Partly I subscribe and that represents pretty good value, I have a long commute to work and love to read a proper mag (I don't subscribe to anything else).
Part it is still a great mag and it amazes me new stuff still gets uncovered.

Keep it up, is what I say
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.