Why do you buy Retro Gamer?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Why do you buy Retro Gamer?

Post by The Laird » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:30 pm

Because I love Retro Gaming.

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8018
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: Why do you buy Retro Gamer?

Post by gman72 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:32 pm

I buy it in the vain hope that I might see some more PS1 coverage some time soon :oops:
... oh yeah... the nostalgia :oops:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Lost Dragon
Posts: 849
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:59 am

Re: Why do you buy Retro Gamer?

Post by Lost Dragon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:34 pm

:? Sorry Darran, but see it from my point of view.We're constantly told forum makes up such a small % of RG readership, it struck me as rather odd you'd look to us for why we buy the magazine, but it's great to feel our voice matters, so i appreciate you taking the time, but then when you originally asked for feedback, which i gave, you say it was'nt what you were really after and edit your post, so i'm bound to think Eh????????.

:D But anywho, confusion cleared, onwards, ever onwards.

User avatar
Sel Feena
Posts: 3531
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Why do you buy Retro Gamer?

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:34 pm

1) There are lots of games and systems I know nothing about, and it's nice to read about them.
2) It's really great when a game I do know about and enjoy is covered in detail.
3) I like physical magazines.
Image

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6761
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Why do you buy Retro Gamer?

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:39 pm

Lost Dragon wrote::? Sorry Darran, but see it from my point of view.We're constantly told forum makes up such a small % of RG readership, it struck me as rather odd you'd look to us for why we buy the magazine, but it's great to feel our voice matters, so i appreciate you taking the time, but then when you originally asked for feedback, which i gave, you say it was'nt what you were really after and edit your post, so i'm bound to think Eh????????.

:D But anywho, confusion cleared, onwards, ever onwards.
I meant feedback as in an answer, not constructive magazine feedback, hence why I changed it. However, even under my original questioned you still answered wrongly :wink:
Image

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6761
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Why do you buy Retro Gamer?

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:40 pm

joefish wrote:Because some of it covers homebrew games! :lol:
Joking aside is that the sole reason? That's a hell of an outlay if it is!
Image

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6761
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Why do you buy Retro Gamer?

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:44 pm

gman72 wrote:I buy it in the vain hope that I might see some more PS1 coverage some time soon :oops:
... oh yeah... the nostalgia :oops:
You'll see at least 8 pages next month.
Image

Lost Dragon
Posts: 849
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:59 am

Re: Why do you buy Retro Gamer?

Post by Lost Dragon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:15 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Lost Dragon wrote::? Sorry Darran, but see it from my point of view.We're constantly told forum makes up such a small % of RG readership, it struck me as rather odd you'd look to us for why we buy the magazine, but it's great to feel our voice matters, so i appreciate you taking the time, but then when you originally asked for feedback, which i gave, you say it was'nt what you were really after and edit your post, so i'm bound to think Eh????????.

:D But anywho, confusion cleared, onwards, ever onwards.
I meant feedback as in an answer, not constructive magazine feedback, hence why I changed it. However, even under my original questioned you still answered wrongly :wink:
It's like Fight Club here recently...The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!
:lol:

Anyway you soppy bugger, how can i, the person who 'buys' the magazine, answer 'wrongly'? :?

I buy it hoping you or your staff writers will shed new light on stuff i want to read about, if i did'nt think you were going to do so via the articles within, i'd stop buying it.

Admit it, you thought i was going to say:For the smashing NES coverage, did'nt you.....?

Why i oughta..... :lol:

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26841
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Why do you buy Retro Gamer?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:21 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
joefish wrote:Because some of it covers homebrew games! :lol:
Joking aside is that the sole reason? That's a hell of an outlay if it is!
Is that so strange? I used to buy PC Zone for a single page of retro coverage. From the newsagent at full price, not reduced rate sub.

I also bought the shareware mags that predated widespread internet access, mainly to read up on what homebrew games were worth a punt.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Lost Dragon
Posts: 849
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:59 am

Re: Why do you buy Retro Gamer?

Post by Lost Dragon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:24 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
joefish wrote:Because some of it covers homebrew games! :lol:
Joking aside is that the sole reason? That's a hell of an outlay if it is!
Is that so strange? I used to buy PC Zone for a single page of retro coverage. From the newsagent at full price, not reduced rate sub.

I also bought the shareware mags that predated widespread internet access, mainly to read up on what homebrew games were worth a punt.
I'd happily buy EDGE just for a 4-6 page Making Of....article.Rest of the magazine would be utter gumpf, but i still felt i'd got my moneys worth.

Sigh..those were the days.... :cry:

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6761
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Why do you buy Retro Gamer?

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:33 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
joefish wrote:Because some of it covers homebrew games! :lol:
Joking aside is that the sole reason? That's a hell of an outlay if it is!
Is that so strange? I used to buy PC Zone for a single page of retro coverage. From the newsagent at full price, not reduced rate sub.

I also bought the shareware mags that predated widespread internet access, mainly to read up on what homebrew games were worth a punt.
As a consumer for me it is. I personally like to get a lot of 'worth' out of my purchases. Magazine or otherwise. I can't really afford to punt £5 on 4 pages, no matter how good they might be. It would be like buying a £30 compilation, just to play 2 of the 40 games. That's just me though.
Image

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset

Re: Why do you buy Retro Gamer?

Post by markopoloman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:41 pm

Lost Dragon wrote:

I'd happily buy EDGE just for a 4-6 page Making Of....article.Rest of the magazine would be utter gumpf, but i still felt i'd got my moneys worth.

Sigh..those were the days.... :cry:
I'd just stand in WS Smiths and read the 4 - 6 pages and throw it back on the shelf! (assuming you could find a copy in your neck of the woods)!! Deffo wouldn't buy a mag for a few pages!!

Me personally, I buy RG because I just enjoy reading about the old days. Be it Back to the 80's or an article about the Spectrum, an in depth NES article to an unknown release on the Amiga - heck, I'll even read about the PS1. Some articles may not float my boat - I'll give them a read and move onto the next.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Lost Dragon
Posts: 849
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:59 am

Re: Why do you buy Retro Gamer?

Post by Lost Dragon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:46 pm

:oops: Mates and myself would 'blow' pocket money on a full-price C64 game (even if Zzap 64 had slagged it) if it had a Hubbard or Galway SID EPIC tune to it's credit.

@Marko.Nearest WHSMITHS to myself a 60 minute drive.This is rural North Devon...... :lol:

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset

Re: Why do you buy Retro Gamer?

Post by markopoloman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:52 pm

Lost Dragon wrote::oops: Mates and myself would 'blow' pocket money on a full-price C64 game (even if Zzap 64 had slagged it) if it had a Hubbard or Galway SID EPIC tune to it's credit.

@Marko.Nearest WHSMITHS to myself a 60 minute drive.This is rural North Devon...... :lol:
Now you are talking! Stuff what the game was like... Hubbard/Galway would deffo sell the game even if it was crap. But at least you could listen to the great tunes for ages. 4 pages though... read, throw!!!

Do you drive a tractor? :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Lost Dragon
Posts: 849
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:59 am

Re: Why do you buy Retro Gamer?

Post by Lost Dragon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:01 pm

markopoloman wrote:
Lost Dragon wrote::oops: Mates and myself would 'blow' pocket money on a full-price C64 game (even if Zzap 64 had slagged it) if it had a Hubbard or Galway SID EPIC tune to it's credit.

@Marko.Nearest WHSMITHS to myself a 60 minute drive.This is rural North Devon...... :lol:
Now you are talking! Stuff what the game was like... Hubbard/Galway would deffo sell the game even if it was crap. But at least you could listen to the great tunes for ages. 4 pages though... read, throw!!!

Do you drive a tractor? :D
Knucklebusters, Highlander, War, Rastan, hell mates even took an interst in ACE II due toHubbard doing the music.

:lol: Family are EX-Farmers, sold up when i was 13 (may, many years ago) E.U Milk limits etc.They had tractors!, no combine baler, did have a muckspreader, no quad though, nor a shotgun, but plenty of land for townies to be told to 'get 'orf...


People talk about stealing, 'we' left a huge Cheap plastic horrible roller in a field (you townies know what i mean? fecking great cylinder towed behind tractor, flattens stuff, heavy as a bloody tank, take well another tractor to shift it etc), some bast*rd stole that!!!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests