Why do you buy Retro Gamer?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

Re: Why do you buy Retro Gamer?

Post by The Laird » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:43 pm

That is a completely different argument.

You were saying that given how much time had passed since the arcade game came out the quality of the conversion should be good. Given the 7800 versions were written just a few years after the arcade version that doesn't really hold water.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:53 pm

The Laird wrote:That is a completely different argument.

You were saying that given how much time had passed since the arcade game came out the quality of the conversion should be good. Given the 7800 versions were written just a few years after the arcade version that doesn't really hold water.
But it does hold water. Even 2 or 3 years is a long time in video game development. By 1984 the arcades were full of games such as 1942' Paperboy and Pacland... The 7800 launched with built in Asteroids a game from 1979! The games were out of date in 1984 so who in 1986/7 wanted a system to play Centipede or Joust on?

My point was not to say the 7800 was not a capable machine, but to say surely there were better games for the system to highlight than conversions of old arcade games. I know there are, I own some of them. You listed another 5 exclusives in your last post.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:03 pm

gman72 wrote:This blanket coverage needs to STOP as its getting beyond a joke and turning into a fanzine.
Could we agree to disagree?

I have been watching endless ZX and Nintendo features (and yes, I have enjoyed a very many of them) while the Atari features have far and few between. In My Opinion.
I consider Atari (at least 2 of the 3) to be the most important companies in gaming history. If it wasn't for the stated UK perspective of the magazine I expect there would have been 3-4 times more Atari in it.

But editorially speaking, I would perhaps have expected the content to be spaced out a bit more.

(And then I'll skip my moans that the more recent issues have a bit too much of what I don't find to be "proper" retro.)

stvd

Post by stvd » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:35 pm

ianpmarks wrote:I really get disappointed when an article about a game I know nothing about fails to tell me how it actually plays
This, unfortunately, is now the norm.
If there's a feature on a game you know nothing about then you can guarantee that by
the end of the article you might know who farted most in the office during it's creation but still won't know what
type of game it is.

For example, the recent Knightlore "article". Apart from some screenshots there was ZERO information on the game itself.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:23 pm

NorthWay wrote:
gman72 wrote:This blanket coverage needs to STOP as its getting beyond a joke and turning into a fanzine.
Could we agree to disagree?

the Atari features have far and few between. In My Opinion.
I agree that we all like what we like but I can't agree with your few and far between statement obviously.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:31 pm

stvd wrote:
ianpmarks wrote:I really get disappointed when an article about a game I know nothing about fails to tell me how it actually plays
This, unfortunately, is now the norm.
If there's a feature on a game you know nothing about then you can guarantee that by
the end of the article you might know who farted most in the office during it's creation but still won't know what
type of game it is.
:lol:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:25 pm

stvd wrote:
For example, the recent Knightlore "article". Apart from some screenshots there was ZERO information on the game itself.
Would you expect a big article on star wars to explain its plot in full? I wouldn't.

We'll look at running a 150 word overview on the bigger articles as a test run. I'd still argue that you're preaching to the converted, but don't ever let it be said we don't listen to feedback.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:47 pm

gman72 wrote:I agree that we all like what we like but I can't agree with your few and far between statement obviously.
Ok, then we disagree. You went to enough trouble to go back to issue #2 and came up with 17? related. (No, I'm not saying there aren't more than that.)

_IMO_ that is not enough for the most important companies in gaming history. If _you_ think someone else is more important then that could obviously be too many. C'est la vie.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:45 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:always sad to hear long time subscribers are throwing in the towel, the relentless onslaught of third rate atari junk almost caused me to quit but I've kept my sub going and it's good to read that the mag is moving away from the atari dross and onto the ps1 etc.

Also agree with what others have said about some stuff being so obscure it's completely useless, the kind of articles more suited to a fanzine circulated between about 10 people.
One huge problem is that you are soooo anti-Atari (or could it be the writer ?) that it becomes laughable. I'm not a huge Atari fan and i've criticised the articles before but i can see why its in the mag as it is retro, plus it'll help with more american readers. As a fan of the Speccy i would get annoyed if one person kept going on and on about 'third rate speccy stuff/dross/load of crap' EVERY single month. The odd comment fair enough but the constant baiting/trying to wind up certain people and constant anti Atari stuff from you is boring and difficult to take seriously. We know you dont like Atari (or again is it trolling the writer ?) , just move on. I'm sure Darrens aware of you not liking Atari, can we keep the over the top attacks down a bit ? Talk about overboard

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:34 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
stvd wrote:
Would you expect a big article on star wars to explain its plot in full? I wouldn't.
Star Wars?!?!?
TBH I don't know what you mean by that but if you feature a game, (like Knightlore) put it on the cover then spend 3/4 of the article talking about other games, how does that introduce new people to the featured game?
They don't know what type of game it is, how it plays, if it's similar to other games etc.
Surely the point of the article is to make people want to play the game in question.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:50 am

How do you know people didn't play the game because its gameplay mechanics weren't feature in the article then?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:49 am

Personally I'm always up for reading about how a game plays because ultimately, that's how I choose whether or not to investigate it further after reading an article. I do still enjoy reading about how games were made and put together but those sorts of articles aren't strong enough decision makers, especially if the game is more than a few quid to pick up.

Perhaps articles could be 75% 'making of' with 25% describing what the game actually entails? I think I'd prefer a singular format like this other than multiple approaches to the same title where we have a 'making of' in one issue and something more gameplay-orientated about 10 issues later or whatever.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:35 am

Personally, I love the articles about obscure systems and games. The colevision article recently I enjoyed. The articles about Vectrex and Oric have been great reads too.I like to read about systems I've never owned (or even seen in some cases)...

I know some really dislike them and would rather the mag was packed with more popular systems, but for me, that changes what the mag is. A niche, geeky read for people who like gaming from the past and all the weird and wonderful things that gaming has thrown up.

Atari? Well, its not the first time the mag as run articles back to back.... Gameboy had two big reads in consecutive months... I'd have preferred them spread out a bit, the anniversary one is a bit of a fixed point, but the hardware article could have been a few months later. But no matter... no biggy.

Remember when the mag had LOADS of Nintendo?

I suppose at the end of the day, if the mag isn't what you want to read, don't read it. If you don't like some articles, skip them. If the mag is full of stuff you love, then buy it...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:04 pm

There has to be a balance between describing the game and telling the interesting stories behind how it was made.

A recent example - Heartland. There was very little about how the game played, and I think that article suffered a bit because of that. It was still interesting to read about how the graphic masking was done.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:47 pm

As I said we'll look at adding gameplay box outs (hopefully from 135 onwards). I do know that several articles in the next issue have gameplay related stuff in them (Streets Of Rage, Punchout, dragon ninja, and minority report off the top of my head).