Best Type-In Progs by Machine

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

PanzerGeneral

Re: Best Type-In Progs by Machine

Post by PanzerGeneral » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:51 pm

Fishsta wrote:Now then, my first computer was the beloved TI/99-4A, and I have been actually typing in listings and saving them as ready-to-run files for the Classic99 emulator.

http://www.fishsta.co.uk/ti994agames.html

The thing is, most games that I owned were BASIC games, I only had a few Cartridge games. In fact, all games on Cassette were BASIC games, and most of them were type-ins from Personal Computing Weekly.

I have many happy memories of sitting in the upstairs room with my dad, him with the listing and a ruler, reading it out, me typing it in, line by line. They usually worked first time.

In fact, if you look at this picture here, go over to the right hand side, the pages with the heading "You're the only one who can save our planet"... when typed in, that's this game here, "Last Stand" by Vince Apps.

I've got a load more to do, but unfortunately struggling for time at the moment. I really do intend to get the website going again though.

Some of the 4a listings were amongst the worst for any machine, very good for defining character graphics but censored poor at moving them-unless you stumped up another £70 for extended basic which gave more respectable results-especially with sprites.

If you can't be arsed typing in listings and require some real games-check out the link below, brand new cartridges that work on original hardware!!!!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225936 ... now/page-2

P.S-if you are a glutton for punishment you could always spend an evening with that little yellow book of programs that Vince Apps did for the TI :lol:

dave3622

Post by dave3622 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:58 pm

merman wrote:There might be an article in type-ins from famous names - the Olivers, Jeff Minter, Mike Singleton. There was an issue of one magazine with several games written by established names.
I remember Mike Singleton wrote the game 'Triads' which was published as a type-in game in Commodore User. I found this game mind-blowing at the time due to the amazing laser effects, despite the game listing being in BASIC. I'm sure I read somewhere that the listing somehow generated it's own machine code routines, if so it was a very clever piece of coding by a very talented programmer.

merman

Post by merman » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:28 am

dave3622 wrote:
merman wrote:There might be an article in type-ins from famous names - the Olivers, Jeff Minter, Mike Singleton. There was an issue of one magazine with several games written by established names.
I remember Mike Singleton wrote the game 'Triads' which was published as a type-in game in Commodore User. I found this game mind-blowing at the time due to the amazing laser effects, despite the game listing being in BASIC. I'm sure I read somewhere that the listing somehow generated it's own machine code routines, if so it was a very clever piece of coding by a very talented programmer.
Actually a lot of type-ins did include machine code. A long section of DATA statements could be POKEd into memory. Several of the books I had for the C64 were like that.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

clarance

Post by clarance » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:57 am

Here's an excerpt from that Commodore user supplement mentioned earlier - all the type-ins were provided by top professional coders at the time - the Baby Berks one here was later released as a full price game, and was really quite good - wouldn't fancy typing it in though...

Death may be your Santa Claus.

dave3622

Post by dave3622 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:01 am

merman wrote:
dave3622 wrote:
Actually a lot of type-ins did include machine code. A long section of DATA statements could be POKEd into memory. Several of the books I had for the C64 were like that.
That's true, however this particular game had no data statements containing machine code. I've just re-listed it after loading it from Gamebase to confirm this :o

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:20 am

It must have had a few POKE statements though. Singleton was good, but he couldn't work magic.

The smallest sound effect routine I've written was about 20 bytes, and that did a rapidly descending tone and slowly descending volume to give the effect of an energy weapon being fired. If you can see around that many POKEs in succession, that's probably it.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:37 am

Tony Crowther had a Baby Monty listing published in PCW in 1984 iirc. John Dondzilla, well known Vectrex homebrew programmer, had a Vic20 listing published in Compute back in the same year. I'm fairly sure I found a Vic20 game written by Stavros Fasoulas (of Sanxion/Delta/Quedex fame) in Gamebase20 as well.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

dave3622

Post by dave3622 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:49 am

Paul Shirley, author of the amazing Spindizzy on the Commodore 64 had a game called 'Bug-Eater' for the Oric-1 published in Personal Computer World way back in 1983!!