Retro Gamer - Issue 126

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Lost Dragon

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 126

Post by Lost Dragon » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:07 pm

psj3809 wrote:[quote="Lost Dragon]Cannot bring myself to look through top 25 GB games, own one, struggle to play the 5 games i had for it 'thanks' to that wretched' screen.

Right, onto rest of the mag.
Really? Amazing handheld system when it came out. Surprised by the hate for it. Far better than anything else back then[/quote][/quote]
Seriousily.Given 1 as a gift (along with the printer thing), had heard good things about Alien 3, Batman, T2, Contra etc, snapped em up, spent an age p**sing about with the screen settings trying to get a semi-decent picture, walked away hating it.thankfully i can play the games via emulation (and see just wtf i'm doing).GB nailed the battery life and portablity factor, which my Game Gear and Lynx fell down on, but even the poor quality G.Gear screen i got on far better with than the GB's.How it's never taken the 'flak' the original, non-backlit GBA screen took is beyond me.....

Think the GB is the only system i still own i really could'nt find myself overcoming it's limitations and i say that as an ex-Atari ST owner (rubbish soundchip, poor scrolling) and Jaguar owner (ratio of grud to brilliant games was far too biased in favour of crud).

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:36 pm

psj3809 wrote:[quote="Lost Dragon]Cannot bring myself to look through top 25 GB games, own one, struggle to play the 5 games i had for it 'thanks' to that wretched' screen.

Right, onto rest of the mag.
Really? Amazing handheld system when it came out. Surprised by the hate for it. Far better than anything else back then[/quote][/quote]

agree, the portability factor, some really decent games, they were still pioneering days back then and having a mini Nintendo that you could pop into your pocket and take anyplace you went was just amazing in itself. You cant just *BANG!*, suddenly have a Nintendo 3DS come into existence - the Gameboy was an important, and successful stepping stone, and I personally loved them at the time.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:40 pm

But at same time you had the GB, you also had the Lynx, so harware was there to...anyways back on topic...

Loved the CPC Games That Time Forgot feature, reminded me of the A8 days, mags showing trade adverts for Last Ninja coming soon (work never started on by System 3), Jackal, talk of Druid II being converted etc.Would have loved to have seen GX4000 Toxi.CPC owners missed nothing eith Melbourne House's Judge Dredd, huge waste of potential there.

Minority Report was superb, Genocide, Geograph Seal, Metal Sight and Overtake made me sit up and go woah...

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:41 pm

Rory Milne wrote:
crusto wrote:Last months issue didn't float my boat - fair enough. This month? There's next to nothing of interest to me this month either. Anything I'm remotely interested in I've read before either in RG or somewhere else. I know RG can't please everyone all of the time etc etc but jeez, if next month doesn't do the trick it will be cancel sub time. And I'll check it out on a month to month basis if I happen across a WH smiths.
Fair enough. :( Before you cancel you sub, though, what are some of the games, franchises and gaming hardware you're interested in but haven't read about in RG or somewhere else?

Or to rephrase that question in a way that will hopefully keep the thread on-topic - if you could have chosen 5 of issue 126's articles, what would those 5 articles have been?
Nah, just ignore me. Foul mood yesterday... I didn't enjoy the issue though, but I'm quite happy to keep subscribing. But I can't remember ever not enjoying 2 issues in a row. I got home in a bad mood, saw my RG had arrived and thought "great, cheer up material" and then there was hardly any content that interested me. So I knee jerked lol.

Eat your nans pants

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:44 am

Ploughed through the Strider feature, good but was'nt it only 5 issues ago we had Strider:Ultimate Guide? i know it was done to tie-in with the rebooted game just released, but think we've had enough Strider coverage for a while now.

Pains me to mention this, but yet again i see Master System Strider put down to being converted by Sega to the Master System, it was'nt, it was only published by Sega.Tiertex did the Master System conversion, coded by Paul Marshall (who also coded MS Flintstones) and it was based around the home computer versions and rather shabby affair due to your slow character, high frustration level etc.

UK Press seemed to love ST/Amiga versions of Strider, scores over 90% (Amiga version recing 96% from Zzap 64), but sadly C64 version was rubbish, The Games Machine loved the CPC version, giving it 89%, but i've never played so cannot say if it was deserving.

US Gold had talked of knocking out a Sam Coupe conversion of Strider, in a couple of weeks, by taking the ZX Spectrum code and 'mixing' it with the graphics of the ST version, but that seemed to go no further than just talk.

Strider 2 (US Gold game) very mixed reactionsCrash and YS seemed to like/love the Speccy game (7/10 and 87% ), Zero the ST version (81%), Zzap hammered the C64 version (62% originally then mere 42% when re-reviewed), yet C.F gave it 76% and YC 89% so it really seemed to split reviewers on home micros.

Finished the Thalion article, good.Missing a few things though, Thalion drew up plans for Lionheart II, but team split before work could get started, the UK Press had a Lionheart demo featured on a coverdisk, which had a level not featured in the actual game (The One:Amiga) and Henk Nieborg did the background visuals for GBC Disyney's Atlantis and GBA Harry Potter:Chamber Of Secrets.

One thing both the Thalion and Strider features brought to my attention was that as an older reader, i'd like to see RG articles take a gritter approach at times, by that, i feel there is no need to 'gloss' over the weaker conversions or aspects/reactions to a game.I know they both touch on dissapointments of released products, but i personally feel (in terms of balance) it's often great to expand on just what went wrong and why and how reviewer opinions seemed to differ so wildly.

Mentioned the Strider scores already, but looking at Thalion's releases, A320 Airbus sometimes seemed to leave a reviewer cold, as whilst it could'nt be faulted from technical or realism point of view, many found the subject material too 'dull' for them, they'd rather play something like Falcon or Interceptor where you were dog fighting Migs etc.

Lionheart, which indeed pushed the Amiga on a technical level, had many Amiga owners complaining had arrived too late, they found controls initally frustrating, unresponsive, gameplay too run of the mill, worlds got shorter further into game you got, Dragon riding level, whilst adding variety, was weak etc etc.Plus whilst you cannot fault what Thalion achived in terms of getting more colours, SNES style zoom and rotation effects from Lionheart, it came at a price.If you were playing on standard A500/A600 you had noticable slowdown.

Just think it'd be great to get a mix of what was loved and what was not so well recived by press and gamers alike, along with reasons coders/publishers made the choices they did , when dealing with any subject matter for RG articles.

Knights Of The Sky article is a good example of 'getting it right'-developer openly talks about the 'pain' of trading detail off for the 3D engine and even then game shipping with a dicky frame rate, how realism had to go out the window to make game playable (machine gun bullets the size of school buses) and talks of further realism features he feels really should have been dropped (the guns jamning).I love to hear of sacrifices made, balance developer trying to strike up between arcade action/realism etc and regrets they have.

RTS feature was great, nice to see Nether Earth mentioned.Would have loved to have seen Pumpkin Studios/Warzone 2100 PC/PS1 mentioned but...you can't have everything.Populous releasing 1st on Amiga was an odd one-coding started on ST, switched to Amiga, then back to St, yet released 1st on Amiga.

So, great issue for myself.Hopefully the constructive critiscms on numerous articles can be taken onboard.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:31 pm

Oh man, Warzone 2100. I enjoyed it and my dad was really heavily into it, but I figured I might have overestimated its importance on that basis and didn't say too much about it. I did manage to get a screenshot in, though. =)

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:14 pm

NickThorpe wrote:Oh man, Warzone 2100. I enjoyed it and my dad was really heavily into it, but I figured I might have overestimated its importance on that basis and didn't say too much about it. I did manage to get a screenshot in, though. =)
It possibly had more importance on console, RTS games more thin on the ground on Playstation than on PC (and was headed for Dreamcast, but studio went under, sob), but i just loved it so much.The post-apoc.setting, the 3D worlds, the fact you could design the units you wanted based on the tech you'd scavenged, plus many missions had time limits so you could'nt just sit back, build up your army and tank rush.Game just seemed to be trying to bring so much to the RTS table.

Great to hear from a fellow fan and the screenshot was very much appreciated.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:09 pm

I am a reasonable person. I've read through umpteen articles on things that I have no interest in, but I have found informative.

Having said that...another censored 8 page Ultimate article AND cover?! Seriously?!

I'm getting really rather fed up with this. I get that you guys love the Spectrum. I get that this is a UK magazine for UK people only. But I am so censored sick and tired of these dreary Spectrum articles printed on a lovely black that smudges off onto your fingers with censored hideous blown up Spectrum "graphics". And that goes doubly for censored Ultimate. How many massive articles have you already printed?! I am so sick hearing about them. I haven't read the article, but I'm guessing there isn't a Stamper interview in it. Ooh "filmation". They became Rare you know. :roll:

How about we make a deal? How about you stop printing these reheated Ultimate articles until you actually have an something new and interesting to say? Do that and I won't cancel my sub.

And stop printing these things on black backgrounds. You aren't designing a censored website, you're printing a magazine.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:17 pm

theantmeister wrote:I am a reasonable person. I've read through umpteen articles on things that I have no interest in, but I have found informative.

Having said that...another censored 8 page Ultimate article AND cover?! Seriously?!

I'm getting really rather fed up with this. I get that you guys love the Spectrum. I get that this is a UK magazine for UK people only. But I am so censored sick and tired of these dreary Spectrum articles printed on a lovely black that smudges off onto your fingers with censored hideous blown up Spectrum "graphics". And that goes doubly for censored Ultimate. How many massive articles have you already printed?! I am so sick hearing about them. I haven't read the article, but I'm guessing there isn't a Stamper interview in it. Ooh "filmation". They became Rare you know. :roll:

How about we make a deal? How about you stop printing these reheated Ultimate articles until you actually have an something new and interesting to say? Do that and I won't cancel my sub.

And stop printing these things on black backgrounds. You aren't designing a censored website, you're printing a magazine.
I'm not usually one to leap to the defence of the magazine (after all I will never be considered unbiased) but I'm afraid I completely disagree with you here. First of all I'm not sure how you can judge the article when you freely admit you haven't read it? Secondly, Knight Lore is a landmark game and this year is its 30th anniversary. In case you hadn't noticed, RG, like the majority of magazines and newspapers (and hell, media in general) makes a big thing of anniversaries. It gives an excuse to talk about something. And I'm sorry but there was not way you could let an anniversary like this slip by. Thirdly, you are correct, the article does not have the Stampers in it because they don't do interviews, or very rarely. But what it does do is explain its legacy and success in great detail, and is a damn enjoyable read too.

And the magazine isn't for UK people only. Heck, many on here moan there's too much nintendo or atari! You can't win!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:26 pm

Here's my two-penneth on what I've read of Issue 126 so far... which I'd put down as a bit of a disappointment.

Was really looking forward to the Knight Lore article, but it really wasn't what it was sold as. It gave no new information on the game, and predictably didn't speak to anyone involved in its development. In fact most of the article was quotes from other game authors saying what they thought of Knight Lore, or talking about their own games. If I'm going to read an article about Knight Lore surely half of it shouldn't be about any other 3d Isometric game you can get someone to talk about, because the Stampers won't talk to you. If you want to write an article about Chimera then be honest and write an article about Chimera. Disingenuous. Also at least four of the pictures in the article are taken in the same room with the arch and the guard... could you only be bothered to go one room away from your start position to get screenshots?

The Strider article was okay, but it had been done before - or felt like it had - with the Guide to Strider in a recent issue. Also the Battle of the Ninja's page was ever so slightly embarrassing. More like something you'd find in a kids magazine than a serious Retro Gaming tome. I spend a lot of my time trying to convince myself that 43 is not too old to read about old computer games, but cringe making boxouts like this start to make me wobble. Maybe it's just me but it all seemed a bit juvenile. There's nothing wrong in immature humour, but only if its well done.

The Wonderswan stuff was interesting, as was the RTS and Knights of the Sky stuff. Haven't read the rest so I'll reserve judgement.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:39 pm

It does says Knightlore's "Legacy" on the front cover...

EDIT: oh I guess you mean from the teaser in last month's issue
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:46 pm

jdanddiet wrote:It does says Knightlore's "Legacy" on the front cover...
It actually says Knight Lore - A 30 Year Legacy, which is slightly different.
It doesn't get away from the fact that there was very little actual Knight Lore talk in the article, and what was there was already known information, and has been in Retro Gamer many, many times before.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:51 pm

How strange! I was always in the group at school that picked on the speccy owners (and kicked a few too) - and as a C64 owner I never had the chance to play Knight Lore.

But, although I had a far better machine... I was envious of my rubber keyed chums when this came out. It was a big deal and as the article quite clearly states - without this game, there are a shed load of amazing games that probably wouldn't have seen the light of day. 8 pages was a good amount for something like this. As for being a UK mag - well, yeah it is!!! Does this mean that every time there is an article on something from USA (or another country), us Brits must all scream about cancelling our subs :? :?

Fingers crossed there are no letter bombs sent when the Fairlight article gets read next month!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:58 pm

Lost Dragon, do you know which issue of One Amiga had the exclusive level for Lionheart?

I personally enjoyed this months issue a lot more than last months.
The RTS article was very good although I feel it could have been a couple of pages longer. Some games only got a mention in passing when they deserved more coverage.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:22 pm

markopoloman wrote:Fingers crossed there are no letter bombs sent when the Fairlight article gets read next month!
Fine, if you're happy reading the same censored over and over again, good for you. I've not read about Fairlight ten times over, so I'll look forward to that. As I said, it isn't the Spectrum coverage (even though all the Spectrum articles look the same) or even UK based developers that irritates me, it's the way the mag is stuck in a rut. Ultimate, Paradroid, Strider...if I never read another bloody article about them it'll be too soon! I get that it is the game's 30th anniversary, but if you have nothing new to say, why spend eight pages saying it?
ipmarks wrote:Was really looking forward to the Knight Lore article, but it really wasn't what it was sold as. It gave no new information on the game, and predictably didn't speak to anyone involved in its development. In fact most of the article was quotes from other game authors saying what they thought of Knight Lore, or talking about their own games. If I'm going to read an article about Knight Lore surely half of it shouldn't be about any other 3d Isometric game you can get someone to talk about, because the Stampers won't talk to you. If you want to write an article about Chimera then be honest and write an article about Chimera. Disingenuous. Also at least four of the pictures in the article are taken in the same room with the arch and the guard... could you only be bothered to go one room away from your start position to get screenshots?
Exactly as I feared/suspected.