Retro Gamer - Issue 126

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Hiro

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 126

Post by Hiro » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:55 am

Finished the issue, so-so for me. Not interested in Knight Lore but that's subjective, I don't like RTS games but I enjoyed the article anyway (and some of the few RTS games I enjoyed, like Supremacy and MegaLoMania, were mentioned :) ). Nice article on Strider and I found the Wonderswan one particularly good, interesting stuff!

Two suggestions:
1) The "big" interviews are almost every month with a Z80/Spectrum programmer, I know it's not easy to contact people, that it's an UK magazine etc, but please, pretty please with sugar on top, can we please have some interviews with 6502/68000/etc programmers or with people that don't even know what a Z80 is for a change?

2) the CPC unreleased games article was very good, but while the dust effect is nice and all, why use it on the screenshots? I have nothing against "special effects", but do keep (especially with rare/unreleased games) the screenshots intact :evil:

On the good side, I find the amount of Nintendo coverage has been more bearable in the last few issues, please keep it that way.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:58 pm

Hiro wrote: 1) The "big" interviews are almost every month with a Z80/Spectrum programmer, I know it's not easy to contact people, that it's an UK magazine etc, but please, pretty please with sugar on top, can we please have some interviews with 6502/68000/etc programmers or with people that don't even know what a Z80 is for a change?
I'm sure Merman or one of the other C64 experts is working on something at least :)
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:00 pm

Deleted posts now?? It's selective too by all counts, some people have their posts deleted for speaking their mind, others are given complete freedom to name call.

It's daft to start deleting stuff imo, when there's so many posts that cross or sail close to the line throughout the thread.

Eat your nans pants

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:04 pm

crusto wrote:Deleted posts now?? It's selective too by all counts, some people have their posts deleted for speaking their mind, others are given complete freedom to name call.

It's daft to start deleting stuff imo, when there's so many posts that cross or sail close to the line throughout the thread.
If the posts offer something to the discussion, then they will be left. If they are there to wind the situation up then they will be removed. I'd love to go back through the whole thread and delete all the arguments and tit4tat rubbish - but I can't be arsed. It would be easier to just carry on with actual feedback and leave those pages alone - as there are some very good discussions.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:52 pm

You know, sometimes you have to be a man and admit your mistakes, I now see that issue 126 and all of the preceding issues have been getting steadily better, infact-I would go as far as to say that the current issue is mana from heaven, ambrosia from the gods-it truly is the tome of Gaming perfection and we should all be thankful for everything in it.
What surprises me is that I could ever have thought otherwise. The Knightlore feature was great and an informative masterpiece that in no way seemed to go over previous content.
I would also like to admit how wrong I was when it comes to those that moderate the forums, they are definately NOT a collective of ladies reproductive organs-and anyone who says they are will have me to deal with.
I look forward to the next issue with baited breath, hopefully it will have some more Ultimate features, possibly some Nintendo and Sega related stuff and I would dearly love to see some more features on handheld consoles that sold fifty units. It would also be smashing if we could have some interviews with John Rittman for those that missed them the third time around.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:55 pm

:? Heard nowt from Laird/Thalion, so thought probably been better had i supplied more info when i 1st asked the question, damn these tablets qwack gave me, getting forgetful...

This might help:

Comment (plus praise of Thalion's coding skills on ST) abou Thalion 'doing' ST version of Nebulus II was made in Summer of 1990, by Florian Sauer (or so it was worded), then 1 of the Inferno Bytes Crew (who were doing Amiga version) other 2 being Tobias Prinz and Felix Schmidt.Based at that time in Hildesheim, just south of Hanover.

General impression was these Inferno Bytes Crew were none too impressed with original Nebulus conversion to ST/Amiga, wanted higher quality product for sequel, knew they were'nt 'As Hot'on the old ST as they were the Amiga, but knew Thalion were and thus in their minds THE best people to handle it.

And that was the last i ever heard of it....

Might be an industry myth, but they seemed pretty sure Thalion were working on it......

If you don't ask, you don't get such issues answered i guess.

:D

Update:Just sent an email to ex-Thalion coder, who's promised to fwd it onto other ex-Thalion coders to see if any of them were working on Nebulus 2 on ST.I don't 'do' Facebook/Twitter etc so no idea if any of them might be on there, so hopefully between people Laird 'spoke to' (Skype? email?) for his article and contacts this chap has, we may uncover something yet.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:32 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
Hiro wrote: 1) The "big" interviews are almost every month with a Z80/Spectrum programmer, I know it's not easy to contact people, that it's an UK magazine etc, but please, pretty please with sugar on top, can we please have some interviews with 6502/68000/etc programmers or with people that don't even know what a Z80 is for a change?
I'm sure Merman or one of the other C64 experts is working on something at least :)
I'm counting on that :) it's not that Pete Cooke's interview was bad, it was actually quite enjoyable, only it's getting kind of boring to have interviews with Speccy/Z80 programmers every month and to always read how they overcame the Spectrum's flaws... they could just have chosen a more decent machine :lol: and no more mucked up screenshots, please :twisted:

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:52 pm

Hiro wrote:
I'm counting on that :) it's not that Pete Cooke's interview was bad, it was actually quite enjoyable, only it's getting kind of boring to have interviews with Speccy/Z80 programmers every month and to always read how they overcame the Spectrum's flaws... they could just have chosen a more decent machine :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:06 pm

PanzerGeneral wrote:You know, sometimes you have to be a man and admit your mistakes, I now see that issue 126 and all of the preceding issues have been getting steadily better, infact-I would go as far as to say that the current issue is mana from heaven, ambrosia from the gods-it truly is the tome of Gaming perfection and we should all be thankful for everything in it.
What surprises me is that I could ever have thought otherwise. The Knightlore feature was great and an informative masterpiece that in no way seemed to go over previous content.
I would also like to admit how wrong I was when it comes to those that moderate the forums, they are definately NOT a collective of ladies reproductive organs-and anyone who says they are will have me to deal with.
I look forward to the next issue with baited breath, hopefully it will have some more Ultimate features, possibly some Nintendo and Sega related stuff and I would dearly love to see some more features on handheld consoles that sold fifty units. It would also be smashing if we could have some interviews with John Rittman for those that missed them the third time around.
Amen Brother! I too have sinned, let the light wash over me.. i was wrong, release me oh lord........

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:17 pm

Lost Dragon wrote::? Heard nowt from Laird/Thalion, so thought probably been better had i supplied more info when i 1st asked the question, damn these tablets qwack gave me, getting forgetful...

This might help:

Comment (plus praise of Thalion's coding skills on ST) abou Thalion 'doing' ST version of Nebulus II was made in Summer of 1990, by Florian Sauer (or so it was worded), then 1 of the Inferno Bytes Crew (who were doing Amiga version) other 2 being Tobias Prinz and Felix Schmidt.Based at that time in Hildesheim, just south of Hanover.

General impression was these Inferno Bytes Crew were none too impressed with original Nebulus conversion to ST/Amiga, wanted higher quality product for sequel, knew they were'nt 'As Hot'on the old ST as they were the Amiga, but knew Thalion were and thus in their minds THE best people to handle it.

And that was the last i ever heard of it....

Might be an industry myth, but they seemed pretty sure Thalion were working on it......

If you don't ask, you don't get such issues answered i guess.

:D

Update:Just sent an email to ex-Thalion coder, who's promised to fwd it onto other ex-Thalion coders to see if any of them were working on Nebulus 2 on ST.I don't 'do' Facebook/Twitter etc so no idea if any of them might be on there, so hopefully between people Laird 'spoke to' (Skype? email?) for his article and contacts this chap has, we may uncover something yet.
I did say I would get an answer to this and I have done for you. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I am dealing with a lot of real life stuff right now and catching up with other stuff is problematic. I also had to wait a few days to get a reply, but anyway mystery solved.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:20 pm

Lost Dragon has asked me to delete his account a few times since his return. He has asked again, so I have done as requested. The account is deactivated.

Should Lost Dragon want to become active again, he can contact me at RP. MPM

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:51 pm

I'd like to add to my post edit above that although Lost Dragon caused a few stirs, some of his information was excellent. I'll miss that side of him!

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:27 am

I'm gutted he's gone. He was a wealth of great information and helped keep the writers on their toes.

Some birds just aren't meant to be caged, their feathers are too bright. And when they fly away the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice but still the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone... I guess I just miss my friend.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:00 am

gman72 wrote:I'm gutted he's gone. He was a wealth of great information and helped keep the writers on their toes.

Some birds just aren't meant to be caged, their feathers are too bright. And when they fly away the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice but still the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone... I guess I just miss my friend.

I like the guy, and i enjoyed some of his posts, but I really dont understand why people make a thing of asking for the account to be shut down. All you have to do is stop posting. Why make a grand gesture out of it

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:20 am

It's symbolic I guess. It's saying I no longer wish to post here for whatever reason.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD