Retro Gamer - Issue 126

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Nemesis

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 126

Post by Nemesis » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:34 pm

Cool, end of story.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:51 pm

SO... erm... what shall we talk about now?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:58 pm

Cracking weather today.

Incidentally, my new gf who is suspiciously interested in my RG articles :lol: said she was disappointed the Pete Cooke interview didn't explain why he hadn't been interviewed for so long. Anyone else feel this? Cos I could just ask him !
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:59 pm

Last edited by HalcyonDaze00 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:08 pm

Other things!

Just read the Pete Cooke article. Wasn't really on my 'to read' list but when I saw he was involved in F1GP 1, 2 & 3 that changed! He's certainly been an active chap throughout the history of computer gaming. Must admit to not being a fan of Tau Ceti though :oops:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Cripper2

Post by Cripper2 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:43 pm

I really like the articles that compare all versions of a particular game like the Paperboy article did. Most people will only have ever played one version of a particular game. I remember the magazine used to have version comparisons for arcade games like outrun

Ballblazer - released on 9 different systems. The article mentioned that apart from the atari versions the other versions were very different. I would have liked to know how they differ from each other. Obviously this means that the writer of the article would have to play all the versions.

Knights of the Sky article - which was better the st/amiga or pc version that is basically all I want to know

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:45 pm

Cripper2 wrote:I really like the articles that compare all versions of a particular game like the Paperboy article did. Most people will only have ever played one version of a particular game. I remember the magazine used to have version comparisons for arcade games like outrun

Ballblazer - released on 9 different systems. The article mentioned that apart from the atari versions the other versions were very different. I would have liked to know how they differ from each other. Obviously this means that the writer of the article would have to play all the versions.

Knights of the Sky article - which was better the st/amiga or pc version that is basically all I want to know
This is aspect of the reasons i've enjoyed RG and (Edge's) Making Of's when they used to do them (Edge sadly stopped) as i'd learn a lot more about how a game i'd bought game into being, just who wrote each version, were hardware strengths taken into consideration or was it a mere case of get it out the door as quick as possible, what comprimises were made and why? etc.

If it was an arcade conversion, what had the lions share in terms of priority? capturing the 'feel' of the coin-op or were they trying to replicate as much as they could, at expense of gameplay?.

It's also intersting to read of coders who were given the task of doing an arcade conversion who'd never even played the coin-op or if they had, they hated it, but as Freelancers the conversion was just another job.

As an A8 owner at the time, i looked on with envious eyes at the conversions my C64 owning friends were getting, with things like Ghost's N Goblins, superior conversions of Gauntlet, Green Beret, Arkanoid and Rampage and as a kid, you just wondered why your 64K, tape based 8Bit micro did'nt have conversions as good as on other systems.Things like sprites/PMG meant nothing to me at that time, just techno babble, it was frustrating enough knowing your machine did'nt have a turbo loader.so i love reading the stories behind the games and crave as many coder 'tales' as i can get.

After switching to the C64 (not too hard to convince folks, as dragging them round shop after shop looking for A8 games on tape, seeing none, just shelves full of C64 games, they soon realised which machine had the games that'd stop me moaning... :lol: ) i went to the Atari ST with eyes wide open, i knew it was a much 'lesser' machine than the Amiga, in terms of audio+visual, but i still like to read up on origins of games on Amiga which started out on ST and why they were switched to or released 1st on Amiga.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:32 pm

Cripper2 wrote:I really like the articles that compare all versions of a particular game like the Paperboy article did. Most people will only have ever played one version of a particular game. I remember the magazine used to have version comparisons for arcade games like outrun

I love comparisons across differing systems... maybe this forum has some extra hidden gems to dig up!

8-bit comparison thread: http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... highlight=
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

sir_beaker

Post by sir_beaker » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:38 am

Just my 2 cents not that it matters, but this will be my last issue as I'm not renewing my subscription (I've been subscribing for the last 3-4 years).

Just has been echoed the contents is getting too samey, with the same articles coming up time and again on the same systems.
The only section I will miss is TFM's excellent Homebrew section.

I enjoy collecting a range of systems, in the last few months I've bought a Tatung Einstein, Atari 800XE with 1MB RAM and Side2, ZX81 with hi-res mod and 32k internal memory (as well as a ZXPand), Amstrad 664, BBC Micro, ZX Spectrum +2 and DivIDE, Wonderswan, and a WonderMega. I also have a Sega SG-1000. Apart from the A8 article and the Wonderswan in this issue (which I'm waiting on), I don't think I've ever seen anything on the Tatung, and hardly anything on the BBC Micro. Even when other systems are covered, they're not exactly covered in depth in the minority report. OK you have to include a mainstream system to keep the readership numbers up but it would be nice to do more in depth articles on other systems.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:07 am

Can we start a feedback thread for the feedback thread?
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:18 am

sir_beaker wrote:Just my 2 cents not that it matters, but this will be my last issue as I'm not renewing my subscription (I've been subscribing for the last 3-4 years).

Just has been echoed the contents is getting too samey, with the same articles coming up time and again on the same systems.
The only section I will miss is TFM's excellent Homebrew section.

I enjoy collecting a range of systems, in the last few months I've bought a Tatung Einstein, Atari 800XE with 1MB RAM and Side2, ZX81 with hi-res mod and 32k internal memory (as well as a ZXPand), Amstrad 664, BBC Micro, ZX Spectrum +2 and DivIDE, Wonderswan, and a WonderMega. I also have a Sega SG-1000. Apart from the A8 article and the Wonderswan in this issue (which I'm waiting on), I don't think I've ever seen anything on the Tatung, and hardly anything on the BBC Micro. Even when other systems are covered, they're not exactly covered in depth in the minority report. OK you have to include a mainstream system to keep the readership numbers up but it would be nice to do more in depth articles on other systems.
Glad you liked the Atari 8-bit stuff :D

Just a bit of clarification on the Minority Report, this is purely about games you might not have played on more obscure systems or simply more obscure games following a common theme. So you won't get anything in-depth in these.

But anyway, don't go cancelling your your sub, I am not done with the more obscure/underloved systems just yet!!! :wink:

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:51 am

I think this has been of of the better issues. I've enjoyed the following at least quite a lot:

Knight Lore
A moment with Jason Fitzpatrick
Ballblazer
The Story of Strider
Wonderswan
Knights of the Sky
RTS
Game Boy
Thalion
CPC games that weren't

then there are the usual suspects like back to the '80s and Homebrew that I always like. I have yet to read the In the Chair, but that looks good, and looking at the others I haven't mentioned, I didn't dislike any of them. I just don't have as much interest in some of the others, or haven't read them yet.

If every issue was as good as this one, I'd be be more than happy.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:08 pm

markopoloman wrote:Maybe a little perspective is needed here. Three or four forum members have given their opinion on some of the articles - valid opinions. Maybe they could have been worded better - but we all read things into stuff and maybe this is the case here. The freelancers have responded. I think it is obvious that RG writers are going to stick up for each other to some extent and also their own articles, so that should be expected when faced with criticism .
The fact is we are talking about a few people that are saying they either don't like an article/there is a mistake/it covers nothing new (to me) - that isn't a majority of the forum and not the overall readership of the mag. BUT none the less, still valid points that could be simply taken on board. All that is going to happen with this if it carries on is the freelancers either won't bother replying or just post 'yeah, ok' and not bother - and those commenting will get in a hissy fit and leave the forum (one has apparently done so and another has asked for me to close his account!!!).

SO, please can you STOP this ongoing tit4tat argument. Any further posts that go over this ongoing farcical 'discussion' will be removed. Either that or this thread will be locked, and we really don't want a feedback thread locked.

And don't think this is police state (or Russian intervention!!) going mad - you are all free to post feedback and discuss to your hearts content, but the previous 4 + pages are done. New feedback from this point.

Marko.
Fair enough MPM, this will be my last post in this particular thread. In fact, I will never post in feedback again, as it's now blatantly obvious that it's a complete waste of time. In future shall keep my opinions to myself and vote with my wallet. What I can and will say though is that a certain post a page or so back has crossed the line. People should always have respect, or at least try to anyway. Whether they agree with each other or not.

Eat your nans pants

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:28 pm

@Crusto:There's no need to go to that extreme, there's a far easier solution to issues raised on here (and it's been 'approached' in past, but best not go there, just yet...).It's clear that Freelancers are under deadlines, have limited time/resources etc when it comes to research., which is understandable, yet what surprises me is the 'team' are happy to put up threads asking for suggestions to go in future articles, so why would'nt they welcome help with researching future articles?

Many of us would make for far better researchers than writers, we'd correct 'errors' before they went to print, so nothing for us to 'moan' about and the magazine gets a higher standard of article.Jobs a good'un all-round, no?

Surely the community working with the Freelancers/main RG team to produce the best articles possible would be of benifit to all?.

I say this, as recently listened to a podcast where Greyfox was happy to talk about his past projects and i was amazed to hear him talking about his early Atari years (yes, this is going to be A8 related, lol) but more so the Irish A8 scene, in terms of ground level gamer and what Atari themselves were doing over there.It shed new light on a subject i thought the UK press at the time had pretty much covered, yet they'd ignored the Irish side, all i ever heard about was UK, France, Poland, Germany etc.

I'd always thought Grey's talent lay in just doing fantastic artwork (and please do the coin-op guide!), yet here was a guy happy to chat away about a largely uncovered aspect of the 8Bit era.all i could think of was..why has'nt he supplied something for RG?.

Sure the US readership alone might be keen to read more on European side of things, espically when they are covered so pporly.RG making great strides to adress this, as this months Thalion article proves, but there's stacks of potential.

Rather than people jumping in, people leaving, bizzare claims being made/lines crossed, how about we all work together here?.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:04 pm

Talking of Thalion...
One for Laird here-Can you see if they can shed any light on Nebulus 2 on the Atari ST?.They were said to be busy coding away on it (by the coders of the Amiga version, Inferno Bytes, as they themselves lacked the experience to do the ST version, but said Thalion were more than capable of squuezing the tricks needed out of the ST hardware)/don't think it ever game out, if not i'd love to know how far it got and why it was canned.Love me Lost Games.Could'nt see it mentioned in article, so thought i'd shout out on here.
Last edited by Lost Dragon on Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.