Retro Gamer - Issue 126

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Lost Dragon

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 126

Post by Lost Dragon » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:01 pm

:? So i was being patronising then? just because:

Despite taking onboard your comments about how Ballblazer coder did'nt want to talk about other versions/updates and posting how difficult it must be to secure interviews, let alone get people to talk openly about past work (and i was'nt asking the staff writers to make the impossible, possible), i ended up being told, in a later post, that basically if i knew just how hard it was to get said interviews, i would'nt look so critical at these sections of the mag.I did feel that was a comment too far......espically after the round of in-house back-slapping.

I look at anything i take an interest in (books, films, TV etc) with same critical eye, but only because i care about it and the subject matter.That's part of who/what i am, i'm not going to retract constructive comments.

I personally found this very odd, espically after explaining how superb articles like Realms Of The Haunting had been done despite no interview with Crowther possible and the risks involved when interviews were given (System 3 telling porkies, ST Myth, ohh yeah we released that) and how i'd read 1X A8 coders views in 3 publications in 2 months (2X RG issues and 1 Greyfox publication) and would rather had the views of someone else, in at least 1 instance, if possible....

Guys, you get paid for your work and you must expect both good and bad feedback when your putting it in a professional publication with a huge readerbase, worldwide.This is'nt some: ' well if we sell 100 download copies, that'll be great', digital magazine, your writing for a niche publication in terms of subject material, but very keen readership, of course we're going to tell you what we liked/did'nt, we do so in hope you can make future articles even better.

It has degenerated to sub-standard of Gamestm, where reader is leapt apon for giving open, constructive comments and it's left me with same gut feelings:utter dissapointment and with little/no incentive to give further feedback.

RG prides itself on being so unlike any other magazine in terms of taking such an active role in listening to what the readership, via the forum has to say and i thank them for it, but honestly i'm now left with a sour taste in my mouth and think, given time spent on 'defending' views for comments based on magazine i paid for, i'll not make same mistake again any time soon...it's just a waste of time and energy.
Last edited by Lost Dragon on Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:15 pm

Lost Dragon wrote::? So i was being patronising then?
*sigh* No it came across as if you were impyling my post was being patronising as in, and I quote " "if writers are going to start saying we had no idea how hard it was to get hold of X, Y and Z, basically it's in danger of starting to sound like 'we should be grateful..." as if I was saying that readers should be happy with what they got. Not the intention at all.
Lost Dragon wrote:i ended up being told, in a later post, that basically if i knew just how hard it was to get said interviews, i would'nt look so critical at these sections of the mag.I did feel that was a comment too far......
Maybe that's down to my wording then but I stick with the basic gist which is that we are really trying our best to please and in esscence I agree with many of your (and others) comments. We love the mag as much as you do and want to do the best to make it better, but sometimes it's either very difficult, or can take months or even years to achieve, and you can't run a monthly mag on waiting for the perfect interview to happen.

Re the Ballblazer piece I actually have tons of interview material that didnt make it into the mag, indeed it was a case of squeezing it into a meagre 1800 words so maybe some of the stuff you would be interested in got left on the cutting room floor. Happy to post an extras thread with some of the material if there's demand.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:26 pm

mikeb wrote:
Lost Dragon wrote::? So i was being patronising then?
*sigh* No it came across as if you were impyling my post was being patronising as in, and I quote " "if writers are going to start saying we had no idea how hard it was to get hold of X, Y and Z, basically it's in danger of starting to sound like 'we should be grateful..." as if I was saying that readers should be happy with what they got. Not the intention at all.
Lost Dragon wrote:i ended up being told, in a later post, that basically if i knew just how hard it was to get said interviews, i would'nt look so critical at these sections of the mag.I did feel that was a comment too far......
Maybe that's down to my wording then but I stick with the basic gist which is that we are really trying our best to please and in esscence I agree with many of your (and others) comments. We love the mag as much as you do and want to do the best to make it better, but sometimes it's either very difficult, or can take months or even years to achieve, and you can't run a monthly mag on waiting for the perfect interview to happen.

Re the Ballblazer piece I actaully have tons of interview material that didnt make it into the mag, indeed it was a case of squeezing it into a meagre 1800 words so mybe some of the stuff you would be interested in got left on the cutting room floor. Happy to post an extras thread with some of the material if there's demand.
No offence (and yes i've been up since 4 am, so might have read it 'wrong'), but it did come across a little as if it needed 'explaining to me' and it did as a reult niggle a little, as did the staff-writer back slapping...

You've had the good grace to explain it was'nt meant as that, appreciated, confusion now cleared up.

Your still kind of 'miising the point' i've been struggling to get across:Personally i don't feel an article, if written well as the example i gave (Realms Of The Haunting) was, that it's any 'weaker' for lack of an interview or interviews...

If the person interviewed cannot shed new light on a subject, i find it pointless being in there, i'd rather the writer based his or her article on taking a fresh look at a game or piece of hardware, going for warts and all piece as it were.Too many interviews, to be blunt, featured over the years in RG have gushed with praise for a game/system, when i'd love to hear both sides of a story.why was System X such a b*tch to code for? why did Game Y turn out so poor?

You have to take into account i'm more often than not reading an article to try and find out just why game i bought was so poor (C64 Roadblasters/A8 Green Beret etc etc) or hardware platform so poorly supported (Mega CD, Jaguar), realising why, eases the pain of spending good money on them back in the day.I don't always need interviews to reveal the answers...

Said it before, but an article writer can be sat on 10, 20 interviews, collected over years, stacks of research documents, but if that raw material cannot be written up in a manner that keeps me reading from start to finish, it's meaningless to me, it's failed in it's purpose.If another writer is say taking a more personal look at a version of events or subject and giving an old subject a new angle and i'm thinking, nice, like the approach here, i'm not sat there thinking, if only they'd spoke to....as i don't feel the article lacked anything.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:31 pm

Good grief!

feedback in the feedback thread? deary me, you have all been here long enough to know that its not allowed, whatever next, are you all going to start claiming that you pay for the magazine?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:48 am

Its the feedback thread, nothing wrong with leaving feedback, but people can also give 'feedback' to the feedback !

merman

Post by merman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:09 am

Lost Dragon, ipmarks - no-one is saying "don't give feedback", but yet again we get the same people calling the writers defensive and complaints about "the same names always featuring". And yet when I look through issue 126 I see new content and new names/interviews in every piece. There are new angles and new insights in there.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:50 am

merman wrote:Lost Dragon, ipmarks - no-one is saying "don't give feedback", but yet again we get the same people calling the writers defensive and complaints about "the same names always featuring". And yet when I look through issue 126 I see new content and new names/interviews in every piece. There are new angles and new insights in there.
Who are these same people... It's not me. I haven't criticised the issue, or mentioned anything about same names, so i'm not sure why i'm namechecked here. Can we have a reality check here. I made a comment about not liking one article in this issue. Lets move on shall we.

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:23 am

Just got it. Quick flick through.

Knight Lore - good (some comments here have me wondering, but I'll read it anyway).
Ballblazer - nah (an overrated tech-demo - I do have the 7800 version)
Strider - again? :wink:
Wonderswan - great (nice handheld with some great games)
Knights of the Sky - not for me
Real Time Strategy - zzzzzzzzzz
Best 25 Gameboy games - nope (never owned or wanted to own a GB)
The Scene Kings - zzzzzzzzz
Amstrad Games that time forgot - games that might have been written but there's no evidence?! Seriously do not know how this made it in - I'm surprised COD and Angry Birds weren't listed too.
Pete Cooke Interview - looking forward to reading this

So, not a great deal for me this month.
But the cover is nice! :)
Last edited by stvd on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:26 am

Just following up on lost dragons point about articles on poorer games - I'm intrigued by this (as anyone who has read my cassette 50 feature will know!) but getting people to talk about bad games is even trickier lol
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

john75

Post by john75 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:00 pm

I noticed a slight error in Amstrad Games Time Forgot. I think Repton 3 was never ported to the ZX Spectrum. Reptons 1 and 2 were but did not do well so 3 was not ported (or I'd have bought it!). Repton 1/2 came out in a single pack which got panned by Crash magazine. I remember how furious I was reading the review. The reviewer had clearly failed to understand the point of the game! I think the Spectrum was more action oriented and Repton was too cerebral!

I still regard Repton 3 as being one of the best games of all time. Right up there with DOOM...

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:05 pm

jdanddiet wrote:Just following up on lost dragons point about articles on poorer games - I'm intrigued by this (as anyone who has read my cassette 50 feature will know!) but getting people to talk about bad games is even trickier lol
I suggest everyone reads this ! :)
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:56 pm

ipmarks wrote:
merman wrote:Lost Dragon, ipmarks - no-one is saying "don't give feedback", but yet again we get the same people calling the writers defensive and complaints about "the same names always featuring". And yet when I look through issue 126 I see new content and new names/interviews in every piece. There are new angles and new insights in there.
Who are these same people... It's not me. I haven't criticised the issue, or mentioned anything about same names, so i'm not sure why i'm namechecked here. Can we have a reality check here. I made a comment about not liking one article in this issue. Lets move on shall we.
I'm not going to retract any comments i've made from very start in this thread and if anyone wants to think my desire to get a broader set of views on a system, if possible for any article on any system as a 'complaint', A)best of luck to them and B) Way to miss entire point i was making.But nothing surprises me now, welcome to Gamestm style feedback threads...never thought i'd see the day, but here it is.

Merman can namecheck me if he likes, i'm happy to give constructive critiscm as a long time subscriber/paying customer and yet again the fact i praised the new angle featured in Knights Of The Sky and fact Lairds Thalion piece was exactly the sort of thing that made RG shine, is left out when i'm namechecked.

Just proves what an utter waste of time my last few posts have been.

Think a few here need that reality check as i'm commenting from the perspective of my eyes and rather than just say article was not to my liking, pointed out what i liked, what was missing/incorrect and suggesting how it could be done different, but those aspects seem lost at each post i'm quoted or named in by staff writers at times.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:00 pm

jdanddiet wrote:Just following up on lost dragons point about articles on poorer games - I'm intrigued by this (as anyone who has read my cassette 50 feature will know!) but getting people to talk about bad games is even trickier lol
Mate, forget i even brought the point up, it was just a concept for gritter articles from time to time and if it's not 'workable' no sweat...just thought it'd make a change/add balance.

I just cannot be doing with feedback anymore.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:05 pm

The number of handbags in this thread is hilarious. Best thread for ages.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

john75

Post by john75 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:26 pm

Love the magenta theme of the cover. Very nostalgic. I'd never heard of the colours "magenta" or "cyan" before I got my Spectrum in 84...