From the forum issue 127 - Favourite arcade games

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sidney

Re: From the forum issue 127 - Favourite arcade games

Post by sidney » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:52 pm

Out Run Out Run and thrice Out Run!!!

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:53 am

I, Robot has cropped up here and on other threads with folks saying they'd have loved a home version.well, Paul Shirley (he of Spindizzy fame) was a massive fan of the game, so much so he had the original coin-op at home! and he said he'd loved to have had a crack at converting it at the time, but the hardware of the day (ST/Amiga/Archimedes) just would'nt be able to handle the 3D.

capcomnz

Post by capcomnz » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:09 pm

Well for me it Gyruss. Still remember the day I walked into our local "arcade" (used lightly) and heard its fantastic music blaring out. Small crowd around it. Ahh the memories.
Also Defender (but I was sh*t at it). Q*Bert of course and Zaxxon.
Buck Rodgers - Planet of Zoom was also a goodie.
But its got to be Gyruss !! :D

commanderkaiser

Post by commanderkaiser » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:29 pm

For me it would have to be Time Crisis 2, me and my dad used to play it all the time together so some good memories there.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:02 am

capcomnz wrote:Well for me it Gyruss. Still remember the day I walked into our local "arcade" (used lightly) and heard its fantastic music blaring out. Small crowd around it. Ahh the memories.
Also Defender (but I was sh*t at it). Q*Bert of course and Zaxxon.
Buck Rodgers - Planet of Zoom was also a goodie.
But its got to be Gyruss !! :D
Word, brother! I love Gyruss :)

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:07 am

Lost Dragon wrote:I, Robot has cropped up here and on other threads with folks saying they'd have loved a home version.well, Paul Shirley (he of Spindizzy fame) was a massive fan of the game, so much so he had the original coin-op at home! and he said he'd loved to have had a crack at converting it at the time, but the hardware of the day (ST/Amiga/Archimedes) just would'nt be able to handle the 3D.
I did actually have a go at a loose conversion at the time on the ST. He's right, it couldn't handle the solidity, but drawing the level layouts on the flat (like a Trailblazer road, although able to sweep the view left/right/up/down at 25fps) and using sprites for the main character and the birds, I had a passable presentation of the first few levels.

The thing is, what made the game was all the unique baddies that make up each level, along with the various bonus stages, which would each need programming individually, each with a different graphical trick to overcome the lack of 3D power. It would have taken a huge team to cover everything using pseudo-3D techniques.

The alternative would just be to do it as a block-based semi-overhead view with no perspective. In which case you could probably knock out a half-decent clone for the ZX Spectrum.

It would still take you ages though to play through and find the unique feature of each level to reproduce.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:03 pm

Fave Arcade game??? Just one!? Uhm.....erm....wait, I've got this!

* head explodes (again) *

(Oh go on, then...it's Rastan....)
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:53 pm

I was always a fan of Sega's "Enduro Racer", particularly the version with the real bike to sit on. It's such a shame it never had a proper home conversion beyond the 8-bit ones.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:06 am

deadpan666 wrote:(Oh go on, then...it's Rastan....)
Oh yes, now that's a good one.. absolutely magic game with an incredible soundtrack. And one of the very first games I play when firing up MAME these days.

I remember back in the day trying to make an Apple II version of it.. in BASIC. Needless to say, I didn't get far. Rastan looked like he was having fits.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:58 am

batman877 wrote:I was always a fan of Sega's "Enduro Racer", particularly the version with the real bike to sit on. It's such a shame it never had a proper home conversion beyond the 8-bit ones.
It did get at least one 16 bit port with the Atari ST.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Gary Plowman

Post by Gary Plowman » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:06 am

Has to be the first time I played Gauntlet with friends! Amazing four player cabinet with excellent playability and the Grim reaper traps where always fun to unleash on your friends!
The Micro Kids: An 80s Adventure with ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64 and more
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0993474462/

ZX Spectrum Games Code Club
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0993474403/

batman877

Post by batman877 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:02 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
batman877 wrote:I was always a fan of Sega's "Enduro Racer", particularly the version with the real bike to sit on. It's such a shame it never had a proper home conversion beyond the 8-bit ones.
It did get at least one 16 bit port with the Atari ST.
Thanks for that, I wasn't aware. I just assumed because their was no Amiga or Megadrive version that it didn't make it out of 8-bit land!

Think I'll have to dig out my Atari ST emulator now... :D

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:15 pm

Outrun, its still amazing, its iconic........and I have 2 upright cabs in my games room :D
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:37 pm

bensonrad wrote:Outrun, its still amazing, its iconic........and I have 2 upright cabs in my games room :D
I hate you...lucky bastard! :lol:

I can't complain though, I have a jamma 60 in 1 cabinet with the 80s classics I love on it. :)

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:59 pm

*just* got to playing Outrun after buying a Logitech gt racing force steering wheel - the one peripheral ive always wanted since I was a kid but just never got around to it (parents would have kicked my ass if I even dared ask for one, actually laughed first and then kicked my ass), and playing Outrun on MAME with it is just a totally different experience to either keyboard or gamepad, just blows it out of the water.

Of course not as good as the real thing but a load better than the older methods, anyone considering buying a steering wheel, absolutely go for it, its worth it, fantastic stuff.