From the forum issue 127 - Favourite arcade games

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

khertz

Re: From the forum issue 127 - Favourite arcade games

Post by khertz » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:06 pm

For me, playing the sit down versions of Outrun, Space Harrier and later on, Thunderblade in the Bridlington arcades was amazing. They were expensive at £1 a go (I only got a few pounds pocket money in the 80's!) but feeling the hydraulics move the cabinet as you played really felt like stepping into the future as you could never have the same experience in a home environment. The sounds of the arcades was also special , hearing someone add credits to a machine was a cue to hang around a little longer and watch someone play.

The key games for me, aside from the above were:

Space Invaders - There was an arcade in Brid that had rows of them for a while. Where did they all go?!
Dragons' Lair - Amazing seeing the animation, even if the game was punishingly difficult. I remember seeing crowds of kids around it on a family holiday in Italy.
Star Wars - The closed sit-down cabinet made you feel you were in the cockpit of an xwing. "Use the force Luke!"
Indiana Jones - Lovely graphics and sound.
Bubble Bobble - Great game.. I still finding myself humming the opening bars of the theme tune.
Paperboy - Lovely cabinet and the handlebar controls.
Punch Out!!! - The cabinet also had special controls that replicating the motion of punching that you couldn't get at home.. The transparent fighter was also a good idea.. It had a screen up above with the round information and score, if i remember rightly.
Starblade - Even though this was an on-rails shooter, for the time the graphics were amazing. The full fat two player version in the Trocadero in London was brilliant.
Karate Champ - A game using two joysticks was a novelty. There was a cheat where you could pull three moves and win every bout.
Marble Madness - Trackball and amazing music/sound.
Ninja Warriors - The widescreen play area which was a novelty at the time.
And finally - Commando - Frenetic gameplay and great theme tune. The ZX Spectrum version was also great too!
Last edited by khertz on Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:22 pm

khertz wrote:For me, playing the sit down versions of Outrun, Space Harrier and later on, Thunderblade in the Bridlington arcades was amazing. They were expensive at £1 a go (I only got a few pounds pocket money in the 80's!) but feeling the hydraulics move the cabinet as you played really felt like stepping into the future as you could never have the same experience in a home environment. The sounds of the arcades was also special , hearing someone add credits to a machine was a cue to hang around a little longer and watch someone play.

The key games for me, aside from the above were:

Space Invaders - There was an arcade in Brid that had rows of them for a while. Where did they all go?!
Dragons' Lair - Amazing seeing the animation, even if the game was punishingly difficult. I remember seeing crowds of kids around it on a family holiday in Italy.
Star Wars - The closed sit-down cabinet made you feel you were in the cockpit of an xwing. "Use the force Luke!"
Indiana Jones - Lovely graphics and sound.
Bubble Bobble - Great game.. I still finding myself humming the opening bars of the theme tune.
Paperboy - Lovely cabinet and the handlebar controls.
Punch Out!!! - The cabinet also had special controls that replicating the motion of punching that you couldn't get at home.. The transparent fighter was also a good idea.. It had a screen up above with the round information and score, if i remember rightly.
Starblade - Even though this was an on-rails shooter, for the time the graphics were amazing. The full fat two player version in the Trocadero in London was brilliant.
Karate Champ - A game using two joysticks was a novelty. There was a cheat where you could pull three moves and win every bout.
Marble Madness - Trackball and amazing music/sound.
Ninja Warriors - The widescreen play area which was a novelty at the time.
And finally - Commando - Frenetic gameplay and great theme tune. The ZX Spectrum version was also great too!

Self indulgent nostalgia rant over and out..
Welcome to the forum khertz. It was a good read.

Eat your nans pants

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:16 am

The Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles coin-op is always one of the first to come to mind - they used to have it at our local leisure centre where I'd play away my pocket money whilst waiting for Dad to finish squash...

Earlier titles I loved would be either Kung Fu Master or Popeye, and after TMHT, Street Fighter II was the game of choice.

I recently played a coin-op version of Mario Kart, with sit in car. That was awesome.

There were some good football games too Tecmo World Cup, in the cocktail table and trackball controller was good, but I liked the real arcade ones like Super Sidekicks.

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:44 am

Just far too many to mention.
All the classics from the late 70's and 80's are just that, classics.

But I'm going to go for Bomb Jack and Crystal Castles.
Purely because, when I'm playing them, my 10p lasts longer than 2mins!

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:23 pm

I am going to be a tad strange here, I didn't get to play many games in the arcade but the most fun I had was:-

A pier arcade in Wales playing LA Machinegun heads ona Geography field trip at school, those huge guns were massive and the action intense!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:18 am

RetroMartin wrote: A pier arcade in Wales playing LA Machinegun heads ona Geography field trip at school, those huge guns were massive and the action intense!
That game was awesome, you'd end up with your arms shaking for ages after a good session on that game, the recoil was insane. Did anyone ever release the trigger though? No I didn't think so :lol:

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:16 pm

As my arcade days centred around the mid 90's, I will say any arcade from glory of Sega's Arcade AM2 days does it for me.

Virtua Fighter 1 & 2
Daytona USA
Fighting Vipers
Virtua Cop 1 & 2
Virtua Striker

Just thinking about these games, puts a huge childish smirk on my face

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:51 pm

I am really excited for this issue. It could be one of the freshest and best issues for a long time, if not ever by the sounds. If we can't have a bookazine on Arcades and machines, a decent RG issue on them is the next best thing :)

*Edited add on: That's assuming 127 is the upcoming Arcade Issue of course? :)

craigy132

Post by craigy132 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:33 pm

My favourites in no particular order:

Pacland - bright and cheery
Hang on - the unique controls just drew you to it
Donkey kong - challenging and playable
out run - pick your own music and have a ladyfriend in your motor!
golden axe - atmospheric beat em up
bomb jack - high score heaven
peter pack rat - great platformer

Cafeman

Post by Cafeman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:42 pm

Gottlieb's Reactor, complete with track-ball and the music turned up loud! It's just so weird and fun!

dave3622

Post by dave3622 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:49 pm

Mr Do! is my personal favourite. I discovered it in the arcade at Thornwick Bay Holiday Camp (Flamborough) when I was only 11 years old and fell in love with it. My Initials were soon at the top the High-Score Table! I still play the game using the Mame emulator when I am feeling nostalgic.

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:21 pm

Ghosts and Goblins & Pac Land both being the first I can remember ploughing coins in to.

Daytona USA - Holds very special memories for me, racing against my late dad in the arcades at Hayling Island.
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:43 am

I somehow forgot to mention Final Fight. I was that annoyed with myself that I had to crack out the PSP to play the Capcom Classics version - game is still awesome. So hard though - those guys that chuck out the firebombs are bastards. I'm still not sure why Guy beats up Cody in the end titles?

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:20 am

Galaxian 3 - Attack of the Zolgear - the second game released for the huge six-player shoot-em-up cabin. Great fun with everyone blasting away at the massive swarms of enemies and missiles.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:25 pm

Out Run tops them all. I love racers and Out Run has all: great speed, a Ferrari, beautiful scenery, gorgeous music. Almost 30 years later, it's still fantastic.

Then, I could go on with more Sega games, the Out Run sequels, Golden Axe, After Burner, Shinobi. But it would be Taito to take the second place with Chase HQ and Special Criminal Investigations. "Let's go, mr driver!" :)

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark