From the forum issue 127 - Favourite arcade games

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

slacey1070

Re: From the forum issue 127 - Favourite arcade games

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:25 pm

Another vote for Mr Do!

I fell in love with this game the first time I saw it in Tandy. It's subtle elements that gave strategy, to add to the pace, great visuals and fantastic music. It's a game I find fresh to this day.

The interval screens also dangle a carrot to see what the next one would be and how good your completion times would be.

And don't forget those diamonds...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:30 pm

So many to rattle off, arcade games are of course what got most of us hooked in the first place.

Out of the many, MANY favourites, Robotron still stands as the all time fave for me :)

Can't wait for this Arcade issue :D

shifter

Post by shifter » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:58 pm

Like everyone far to many to mention but if arm is being twisted.

Moon Cresta the sound was just perfect not to much but enough to know danger was always not far away,docking while the time ticked away qucker than you thought it should.

Galaga,,, the ultimate 10 pence muncher just coundt get enough of it.

Super Sprint. Spinning the wheel one handed thinking you were the dogs ******** but now looking back you looked like a pair of ....

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:35 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. Ok, let's see:

Space Harrier: superb on-rail shooter. Played much, completed it with many, many Continues, but still never played it often enough to satisfy my need

Xybots: hugely entertaining whether one- or two-player. Getting caught in a cross-fire, moreso in two-player mode on levels where your bullets hurt your buddy, was thoroughly frantic and fun

Outrun: what more needs to be said about this classic? Magical Sound Shower suited the game to a 't'. Sure, compared to the new edition, Outrun now seems glitchy as it struggles to atain top speed - but its foibles can be forgiven

Sexy Parodius: plugged many Yen into this on my visit to Taito arcade in Akihabara, Tokyo. Fab, fab, fab game with a hilariously wonderful style

Biomechanical Toy: brilliant; I love this game! Another class act I found on my visit to Akihabara

Green Beret: good, solid fun. Tough as nails to loop, but I think this was the first game I managed that feat with. Loved it then, love it now when I find it; and the Spectrum edition is marvellous, too

Twin Cobra: far superior to Flying Shark. A super challenge, though very unforgiving once you lose a life. Have probably played this the most of all these mentioned titles

rjay63

Post by rjay63 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:11 pm

I've been arcade gaming regularly since 1992 and so my selection is a tad more contemporary...

Outrun 2 SP: racing perfection from Sega AM2. No coin-op has come near it since!
Crazy Taxi: 1999 was one of best years of my life and this NAOMI title was central to that.
Star Wars Racer Arcade: loved the tank-style steering and probably the first coin-op racer in the UK to have an internet ranking.
Daytona USA 2: Power Edition : love the original but the sequel often gets overlooked as it plays very differently. Get into the drift mechanics and you'll appreciate the game more
Street Fighter 2: the one that got me into arcade gaming.
House Of The Dead 2: killing zombies on a 50" rear projection monitor. Nuff Said!
Mazan: Flash Of The Blade: Namco's fun sword slasher from 2002. Shame it never came home to the Wii
Cadillac & Dinosaurs: they had a three-player cabinet at a local funfair back in 1993. Great times!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:06 pm

The Laird wrote:Either Pit-Fighter or Road Riot 4WD, hard choice as I love both games so much, but I will go with Pit-Fighter as it just blew me away with it's realistic graphics and I don't think I have ever enjoyed completing a coin-op as much as this.
I loved both also but Pitfighter looks so bad today. I can't help but feel it's a game that never looks good emulated as the scaling just isn't what I remember. I would love to see a cab today.

My favourite arcade games were probably Midnight Resistance and Aero Blasters. Hammered both, the former with its 3 way and Supercharge combination and blasting down those tunnels in Aero Blasters is something I will never forget.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:58 pm

I'll probably put something in here at some point, but I have so many favourites that it's hard to narrow them down even to a top ten. And who wants to see a bigger list than that in a forum post, really?

PAC

Post by PAC » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:33 pm

Skipping school to play Gauntlet with strangers nearly twice my height !

And Tron, Tron, Tron. Felt like leaping into The Future.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:00 am

I'll throw a few of my favourites in here:

The Simpsons - I'll never forget the first time I witnessed this game running on a huge sit down cabinet, I think I was about 7 years old on a holiday somewhere in Wales and I can remember to this day sitting there with 3 total strangers sharing our money just to finish the game :lol:

Time Crisis - Light gun games had started to die a death by the time this was released (in my eyes anyway) but It was the inclusion of the pedal release cover system that truly made this stand out in the arcades. You really felt like you were dodging the bullets when releasing the pedal to reload

Outrun 2 SP - This is arcade perfection to me these days and my only excuse to go in the arcade at the Trafford Centre. With the dual steering wheels and hydraulic cars, the base cabinet alone makes this stand out but when you add in 3 other cars and a functioning race leader camera the game becomes a new experience all together and something which can not be replicated at home.

Time for a twist...
Pacman Ball (penny pusher machine) - One of my major criticisms of the modern arcade is that they are generally full of nothing but Claw and Penny Pusher machines but if you take a Penny Pusher and simply add Pacman to it, the just a few more coin nature of the standard pusher machine goes up another level in addictiveness
Last edited by ArchaicKoala on Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rygarman

Post by Rygarman » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:40 am

Soooo miss the arcades, great experiences, and never thought I'd see a day when their quality could be replicated at home... still, we have the memories, we have MAME.... and for me mythical status goes to the mighty RYGAR as I only found it once and it's still my favourite... but every seaside visit meant a few goes of Bubble Bobble ... great cutesy fun !

By the way... look up
'Rush n Attack' ...same game
Antiriad2097 wrote:I'm going to pick a well known game with a mysterious cabinet - Green Beret. I can picture where it stood in my old arcade, but I can't recall the cab artwork and neither can anyone else. None of the big archives online seem to have anything for it. I guess it was just a standard JAMMA cab, but there must have been at least a marquee produced and probably side art too. Anyway,its a top game I keep returning to in its many incarnations.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:57 am

Rush n Attack is the US title, in Europe we had Green Beret and you'd think someone, somewhere would at least have an old picture of the cab to show the marquee.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:33 am

Mortal kombat II not only due to the great game held within but also the most amazing arcade cab art at the time I remember a few dodgy arcades in seaside resorts would use an old mkII cab and use it for a less popular game only to have people storm out and head down to one of the main arcades and crowd the mk machines.
This guy are sick

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:10 am

IKARI Warriors - for a kid in the 80s, this was the closest it came to being able to be Stallone and Schwarznegger, which was who me and all my mates wished we were back then! Great graphics, rotary joysticks, 2-player and a well-paced difficulty curve.

Spacepatrol

Post by Spacepatrol » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:14 am

Slap Fight - Great vertical shooter, with a fantastic power-up system
Nemesis (Gradius) - Classic horizontal shooter
Star Force - Briefly mentioned in this months issue (126)
Fighting Hawk - If you like Taito shooters this is a must
Outrun - Classic
Gauntlet - Great multiplayer action

Growing up by the seaside this list could just go on and on

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:17 am

Gauntlet - amazing experience at the time.
Nemesis - the first time I witnessed those exploding mountains I was hooked, and still enjoy a blast to this day.
Wonderboy - brilliant.
Double Dragon - so satisfying to grab your opponent and repeatedly knee them in the face!
Golden Axe - hack and slash at its finest.
Shinobi - I loved the bonus stage.
Galaxy force 2 (iirc) - excellent hydraulic cabinet complimented by a great shooter.
Outrun - say no more...
Final fight - double dragon on steroids.
Commando - brilliant
Jailbreak - great

Eat your nans pants