Page 2 of 5

Re: From the forum issue 126 - Favourite isometric games

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:46 pm
by Lost Dragon
The Laird wrote:
NickThorpe wrote:Hi all, for this issue's letters page - what are your favourite isometric adventures?
I think some people missed this bit :wink:
:wink: Including yourself, as Escape From Planet Of The Robot Monsters is classed as a shooter....

Re: From the forum issue 126 - Favourite isometric games

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:52 pm
by PaulEMoz
Much as I love the Ultimate games, my favourite isometric adventure ever is Landstalker on the Megadrive.

Re: From the forum issue 126 - Favourite isometric games

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:56 pm
by ipmarks
I'm a bit confused now... what is the difference between an isometric game or an isometric adventure? And what have some people missed?

Me personally I could only ever pick Knight Lore as my favourite isometric game... that game just changed how I viewed computers games. The first room I went in I remember vividly. I could move actual tables around, jump on them and explore forests and castles. Quite superb, even today its stylish look still impresses.

Re: From the forum issue 126 - Favourite isometric games

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:02 pm
by Lost Dragon
ipmarks wrote:I'm a bit confused now... what is the difference between an isometric game or an isometric adventure? And what have some people missed?

Me personally I could only ever pick Knight Lore as my favourite isometric game... that game just changed how I viewed computers games. The first room I went in I remember vividly. I could move actual tables around, jump on them and explore forests and castles. Quite superb, even today its stylish look still impresses.
I'd assume the question is looking for the more 'deeper'/RPG type games than just games that used an isometric perspective, so something like Zaxxon, would'nt be able to be included, but you could go for things like Batman, Head Over Heels, Where Time Stood Still, The Great Escape, Landstalker, Ultimate's Speccy adventures etc.

So, it's the adventure genre, just using an isometric viewpoint.

Re: From the forum issue 126 - Favourite isometric games

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:06 pm
by ipmarks
Lost Dragon wrote:
ipmarks wrote:I'm a bit confused now... what is the difference between an isometric game or an isometric adventure? And what have some people missed?

Me personally I could only ever pick Knight Lore as my favourite isometric game... that game just changed how I viewed computers games. The first room I went in I remember vividly. I could move actual tables around, jump on them and explore forests and castles. Quite superb, even today its stylish look still impresses.
I'd assume the question is looking for the more 'deeper'/RPG type games than just games that used an isometric perspective, so something like Zaxxon, would'nt be able to be included, but you could go for things like Batman, Head Over Heels, Where Time Stood Still, The Great Escape, Landstalker, Ultimate's Speccy adventures etc.

So, it's the adventure genre, just using an isometric viewpoint.
Ahh, now you mention Zaxxon I get the difference. Hadn't thought of that sort of isometric game... Thank you.

Re: From the forum issue 126 - Favourite isometric games

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:26 pm
by craigy132
Where time stood still - made the 128k speccy worth having

Re: From the forum issue 126 - Favourite isometric games

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:28 pm
by Mayhem
Title says "games" so... Monster Max, Head Over Heels, and Marble Madness...

Re: From the forum issue 126 - Favourite isometric games

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:20 pm
by deadpan666
Movie on the Speccy! Teenage me had loads of fun getting the parrot to mimic swearwords! :mrgreen:

Re: From the forum issue 126 - Favourite isometric games

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:34 pm
by markopoloman
Are the C64 Ultimate games classed as Isometric? If yes, then Entombed on C64.

If not... Head over Heals on any system.

Re: From the forum issue 126 - Favourite isometric games

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:48 pm
by kiwimike
Lost Dragon wrote:
The Laird wrote:
NickThorpe wrote:Hi all, for this issue's letters page - what are your favourite isometric adventures?
I think some people missed this bit :wink:
:wink: Including yourself, as Escape From Planet Of The Robot Monsters is classed as a shooter....
And it doesn't actually say that in topic title... :wink:

I like Highway Encounter, and Jungle Strike. They are both adventures!

Landstalker is a pretty nice Iso adventure by the true definition of the term :)

Re: From the forum issue 126 - Favourite isometric games

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:32 am
by Antiriad2097
markopoloman wrote:Are the C64 Ultimate games classed as Isometric?
No, they're classed as cack.

Re: From the forum issue 126 - Favourite isometric games

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:04 am
by Nemesis
The Laird wrote:
NickThorpe wrote:Hi all, for this issue's letters page - what are your favourite isometric adventures?
I think some people missed this bit :wink:
Except the thread title says "favourite isometric games". Can the OP clarify?

Re: From the forum issue 126 - Favourite isometric games

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:36 am
by NickThorpe
Sorry guys, my bad. I've amended the original post - all isometric games are fine.

Re: From the forum issue 126 - Favourite isometric games

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:53 am
by The Laird
Lost Dragon wrote: :wink: Including yourself, as Escape From Planet Of The Robot Monsters is classed as a shooter....
Since when? The coder certainly doesn't regard it as a shooter :?

If it's open to all games then that gets a lot more complicated, there are just so many great ones: Paperboy, Crystal Castles, Pac-Mania, Desert Falcon, Marble Madness, Q*bert, Return Of The Jedi, Zaxxon, Rock 'n Roll Racing, Panther, Syndicate, Theme Park, Populous, Cobra Triangle, Isolated Warrior, Bombuzal, Spidertronic, Landstalker, Blue Max, Cool Spot In Hollywood, Midnight Mutants, The Haunting, Desert Strike, Jungle Strike, R.C. Pro Am 1&2, Cadaver, Quazatron, Spin Dizzy, Put & Putter, FIFA Soccer, Hydrofool, Snake Rattle & Roll, NBA Live, Glider RIder, Predator 2, Hero Quest, Gauntlet 3, Congo Bongo . . . .

I would have to go with Pac-Mania though, I love that game!

Re: From the forum issue 126 - Favourite isometric games

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:12 am
by Lost Dragon
The Laird wrote:
Lost Dragon wrote: :wink: Including yourself, as Escape From Planet Of The Robot Monsters is classed as a shooter....
Since when? The coder certainly doesn't regard it as a shooter :?

If it's open to all games then that gets a lot more complicated, there are just so many great ones: Paperboy, Crystal Castles, Pac-Mania, Desert Falcon, Marble Madness, Q*bert, Return Of The Jedi, Zaxxon, Rock 'n Roll Racing, Panther, Syndicate, Theme Park, Populous, Cobra Triangle, Isolated Warrior, Bombuzal, Spidertronic, Landstalker, Blue Max, Cool Spot In Hollywood, Midnight Mutants, The Haunting, Desert Strike, Jungle Strike, R.C. Pro Am 1&2, Cadaver, Quazatron, Spin Dizzy, Put & Putter, FIFA Soccer, Hydrofool, Snake Rattle & Roll, NBA Live, Glider RIder, Predator 2, Hero Quest, Gauntlet 3, Congo Bongo . . . .

I would have to go with Pac-Mania though, I love that game!
:lol: Since about, ohh i dunno, forever, well, as long as i've seen it covered on any format, be it Arcade (International Arcade Museum and countless others have it as a shooter) or the home conversions, where reviewers etc class it as an arcade conversion etc.

It's basically a B-Movie inspired, free-roaming shooter using an isometric perspective.If the coder wants to feel it's something else, that's great (assume we are talking the coin-op creator?) that's great, he won't be the 1st, nor the last to feel his (assume it's a chap) game is something more than it really boils down to, doubt he (or she) will be the last.