From the forum issue 126 - Favourite isometric games

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Nikolai

Re: From the forum issue 126 - Favourite isometric games

Post by Nikolai » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:07 pm

This is hard, so many great isometric games. But I will have to say Civilization II.

Ryan_McN

Post by Ryan_McN » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:31 pm

Super Mario RPG !!! If I had to choose one NTSC game which should have got a PAL release, its SMRPG.

sorandor

Post by sorandor » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:02 pm

This is too large a subject. So im not gonna go deep on this.

Does fire emblem count? Escape from colditz (Props to someone who mentioned this before me) or Cadavar (I think the guy who posted before me must be a close friend or something!).

Btw in return for the poster who reminded me of Escape from colditz, i wanted to mention, there is a port of this to the psp. Its not perfect, nor is it advertised around, but it plays fantastic. Well worth hunting down if you can.

But those aside, isnt AOE considered isometric? In which case, im putting that first.

RuySan

Post by RuySan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:05 pm

sorandor wrote:
Btw in return for the poster who reminded me of Escape from colditz, i wanted to mention, there is a port of this to the psp. Its not perfect, nor is it advertised around, but it plays fantastic. Well worth hunting down if you can.

It also seems that the port is actually an improvement since you don't lose the passes everytime a guard asks for it. I learned about this port when i was playing it for my blog. Btw, shameless advertising:

http://amigamemoirs.blogspot.pt/2013/12 ... lditz.html

Macias

Post by Macias » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:10 pm

So many completely different games from different eras. Just reading this thread reminded me of titles like Pac-Mania, Desert Strike, Populous 1/2, Syndicate, Hero Quest & Legacy of Sorasil, Civilization 2/3, Fallout 1/2, Japanese tactical rpgs (Final Fantasy Tactics etc), Escape from Colditz.

But I never thought about most of these as "isometric games". At least not primarily. I strongly associate the term with Speccy games like Knight Lore, Batman, Head over Heels etc. And I never really liked that genre too much.

With one exception. Highway Encounter. It was brilliant.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:07 pm

Ant Attack was brilliant, Knight Lore was beautiful, Head over Heels was innovative and Fairlight was a great adventure. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:11 am

Way too many great games to chose from , I think this is the best for the forum question even, I really can't pick one though.
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:44 pm

I was going to go with The Great Escape on the Speccy but someone mentioned Escape From The Planet Of The Robot Monsters so I will vote for that instead.
That was such a great game to play in co-op and often gets overlooked by people which is a shame.
Many a day i bunked off school to play it with my mate. :wink:

Plus Crusader: No Remorse!
Last edited by PostieDoc on Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:07 pm

I got a big kick out of playing Panther on my friend's C64 back in the day, super cool music and Zaxxon-like movement. Great blaster at a budget price.
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

Spacepatrol

Post by Spacepatrol » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:35 pm

'Mr Robot' released in 2007, packed with retro isometric gameplay, beautiful graphics and not quite as tough as the old 8-bit games. It even has Final Fantasy RPG elements. Check it out on Steam.

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:10 pm

Ones I can think of

1) The Last Ninja (might as well be all of them)
2) Sonic 3D
3) Head over heels (like that's not been mentioned already)...
4) Battle chess, if that counts?!?

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:54 pm

Dark Saviour on the Sega Saturn, many multiple paths and a real fun game!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:17 pm

A massive amount of classics to choose from, I really like Pentagram on the Speccy and MSX, a much deeper experience than the other Ultimate isometrics, the obscure instructions really let this one down, just no real clue what to do, you have to collect water to put on the obelisks and regenerate them, then the Pentagram appears in a previously empty room, then collect runes to put on each point, really good game, especially adding Sabreman's new sorcerers powers.

The one I am going to go for though is Snake, Rattle and Roll, just such a great game from Rare, if only it were just a bit easier though.

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:42 pm

Mine has to be, an obvious choice, Knight Lore.

We'd all seen the adverts at school and everyone was wondering what that, and Underwurlde, were going to be like (as no previews were published at all, not ONE screen shot!).

I remember my friend Adrian Singh (who used to do all the pokes for 'Sinclair User') rung me up (it was winter and it was dark outside, I remember!) one evening to tell me he'd got the 2 games, in their boxes, actually AT his house. He told me that he only had them for a few hours and that if I wanted a copy off the original then I should get round ASAP. This must have been only 3 or 4 days after they were released. I did know a few lads at school who seemed to have an un-ending amount of cash to buy whatever games they wanted when they wanted and it was one of those chaps who had lent Adrian the originals. Not straight away mind, this chap had obviously had them to himself for a good few days, to show off round school first ("Look what I've got! The new ULTIMATE games!..No!..Don't touch, just LOOK!"... GASPS all round!) and so he could get a head start on playing the damn thing before all of us poorer kids could have a go! (I recall new games were released on Monday and this was a Thursday). So I rushed round to his, it was a good 20 minute walk, so I ran, and arrived sweaty and out of breath.

We went upstairs to his pokey little bedroom and Knight Lore was already loaded. I was amazed. Back then it WAS like controlling a cartoon! I handled the box, read the inlay, SMELT the inlay (you know, those Ultimate inlays STILL smell the same today, I have a set upstairs! They still smell like they are brand new!) Underwurlde was loaded after and while not as mind blowing at KL it still looked great, the bouncing about hadn't really been done that well before, swinging around on the ropes was fun and riding on bubbles was pretty new then.

I got my copies made (I earned £10 a week from my 8 hour a week job at the Co-Op back then! I did buy originals when I could!) We loaded up my copies to make sure they worked and so I could see the KL loading screen, which I'd missed earlier and went home very excited (I made sure I left with enough time for me to have a play at home on MY computer before I had to go to bed for school the next day).

The next few weeks, after school, those were the 2 games I mainly wasted away my free time on!

It's funny how much detail about it all I actually remember!!
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:37 pm

Vandal hearts.

I loved vandal hearts. And absolutely loads of other iso's.

Eat your nans pants