From the forum issue 126 - Favourite isometric games

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Lost Dragon

Re: From the forum issue 126 - Favourite isometric games

Post by Lost Dragon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:46 pm

The Laird wrote:
NickThorpe wrote:Hi all, for this issue's letters page - what are your favourite isometric adventures?
I think some people missed this bit :wink:
:wink: Including yourself, as Escape From Planet Of The Robot Monsters is classed as a shooter....

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:52 pm

Much as I love the Ultimate games, my favourite isometric adventure ever is Landstalker on the Megadrive.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:56 pm

I'm a bit confused now... what is the difference between an isometric game or an isometric adventure? And what have some people missed?

Me personally I could only ever pick Knight Lore as my favourite isometric game... that game just changed how I viewed computers games. The first room I went in I remember vividly. I could move actual tables around, jump on them and explore forests and castles. Quite superb, even today its stylish look still impresses.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:02 pm

ipmarks wrote:I'm a bit confused now... what is the difference between an isometric game or an isometric adventure? And what have some people missed?

Me personally I could only ever pick Knight Lore as my favourite isometric game... that game just changed how I viewed computers games. The first room I went in I remember vividly. I could move actual tables around, jump on them and explore forests and castles. Quite superb, even today its stylish look still impresses.
I'd assume the question is looking for the more 'deeper'/RPG type games than just games that used an isometric perspective, so something like Zaxxon, would'nt be able to be included, but you could go for things like Batman, Head Over Heels, Where Time Stood Still, The Great Escape, Landstalker, Ultimate's Speccy adventures etc.

So, it's the adventure genre, just using an isometric viewpoint.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:06 pm

Lost Dragon wrote:
ipmarks wrote:I'm a bit confused now... what is the difference between an isometric game or an isometric adventure? And what have some people missed?

I'd assume the question is looking for the more 'deeper'/RPG type games than just games that used an isometric perspective, so something like Zaxxon, would'nt be able to be included, but you could go for things like Batman, Head Over Heels, Where Time Stood Still, The Great Escape, Landstalker, Ultimate's Speccy adventures etc.

So, it's the adventure genre, just using an isometric viewpoint.
Ahh, now you mention Zaxxon I get the difference. Hadn't thought of that sort of isometric game... Thank you.

craigy132

Post by craigy132 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:26 pm

Where time stood still - made the 128k speccy worth having

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:28 pm

Title says "games" so... Monster Max, Head Over Heels, and Marble Madness...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:20 pm

Movie on the Speccy! Teenage me had loads of fun getting the parrot to mimic swearwords! :mrgreen:
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:34 pm

Are the C64 Ultimate games classed as Isometric? If yes, then Entombed on C64.

If not... Head over Heals on any system.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:48 pm

Lost Dragon wrote:
The Laird wrote:
NickThorpe wrote:Hi all, for this issue's letters page - what are your favourite isometric adventures?
:wink: Including yourself, as Escape From Planet Of The Robot Monsters is classed as a shooter....
And it doesn't actually say that in topic title... :wink:

I like Highway Encounter, and Jungle Strike. They are both adventures!

Landstalker is a pretty nice Iso adventure by the true definition of the term :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:32 am

markopoloman wrote:Are the C64 Ultimate games classed as Isometric?
No, they're classed as cack.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:04 am

The Laird wrote:
Except the thread title says "favourite isometric games". Can the OP clarify?
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:36 am

Sorry guys, my bad. I've amended the original post - all isometric games are fine.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:53 am

Lost Dragon wrote: :wink: Including yourself, as Escape From Planet Of The Robot Monsters is classed as a shooter....
Since when? The coder certainly doesn't regard it as a shooter :?

If it's open to all games then that gets a lot more complicated, there are just so many great ones: Paperboy, Crystal Castles, Pac-Mania, Desert Falcon, Marble Madness, Q*bert, Return Of The Jedi, Zaxxon, Rock 'n Roll Racing, Panther, Syndicate, Theme Park, Populous, Cobra Triangle, Isolated Warrior, Bombuzal, Spidertronic, Landstalker, Blue Max, Cool Spot In Hollywood, Midnight Mutants, The Haunting, Desert Strike, Jungle Strike, R.C. Pro Am 1&2, Cadaver, Quazatron, Spin Dizzy, Put & Putter, FIFA Soccer, Hydrofool, Snake Rattle & Roll, NBA Live, Glider RIder, Predator 2, Hero Quest, Gauntlet 3, Congo Bongo . . . .

I would have to go with Pac-Mania though, I love that game!

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:12 am

The Laird wrote:
Lost Dragon wrote: :wink: Including yourself, as Escape From Planet Of The Robot Monsters is classed as a shooter....
Since when? The coder certainly doesn't regard it as a shooter :?

If it's open to all games then that gets a lot more complicated, there are just so many great ones: Paperboy, Crystal Castles, Pac-Mania, Desert Falcon, Marble Madness, Q*bert, Return Of The Jedi, Zaxxon, Rock 'n Roll Racing, Panther, Syndicate, Theme Park, Populous, Cobra Triangle, Isolated Warrior, Bombuzal, Spidertronic, Landstalker, Blue Max, Cool Spot In Hollywood, Midnight Mutants, The Haunting, Desert Strike, Jungle Strike, R.C. Pro Am 1&2, Cadaver, Quazatron, Spin Dizzy, Put & Putter, FIFA Soccer, Hydrofool, Snake Rattle & Roll, NBA Live, Glider RIder, Predator 2, Hero Quest, Gauntlet 3, Congo Bongo . . . .

I would have to go with Pac-Mania though, I love that game!
:lol: Since about, ohh i dunno, forever, well, as long as i've seen it covered on any format, be it Arcade (International Arcade Museum and countless others have it as a shooter) or the home conversions, where reviewers etc class it as an arcade conversion etc.

It's basically a B-Movie inspired, free-roaming shooter using an isometric perspective.If the coder wants to feel it's something else, that's great (assume we are talking the coin-op creator?) that's great, he won't be the 1st, nor the last to feel his (assume it's a chap) game is something more than it really boils down to, doubt he (or she) will be the last.