Idea For a Feature

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Idea For a Feature

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:49 am

How about a feature on retro game shops? Shops that still buy/sell/part-ex 8 and/or 16 bit games and consoles. It would be really interesting to see how they manage to survive in today's tough retail climate and also could help to promote them by highlighting who and where they are.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

craigy132

Re: Idea For a Feature

Post by craigy132 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:19 pm

thats a great idea. It would be interesting to hear the backgrounds of the people who run these businesses and also what their biggest sellers are.

sorandor

Post by sorandor » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:57 am

Agreed. They are also very hard to find, i know two in the yorkshire area, three if you include outskirts.

I no longer shop in big chain branch stores, and try and dedicate my time to picking out hidden gems in these stores, which are often woefully overflowing with retro gems.

The days of the independant game shop are dying and i think it would be a boost for not just shops, but us the customer, to at least have a small index, whether it be on the forum or in the mag.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:57 am

Great idea. Anyone know if there are any retro game shops in New Zealand?

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:57 am

Agreed would be awesome

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:20 am

a list on the forum would suffice, we don't need to pay to read about how Mike from Milton Keynes struggles to survive against the backdrop of online retailers.

dste

Post by dste » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:31 pm

I cannot seem to find it but I'm sure a year or two ago someone started a map of retro game shops around the UK.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:17 am

sorandor wrote:The days of the independant game shop are dying and i think it would be a boost for not just shops, but us the customer, to at least have a small index, whether it be on the forum or in the mag.
Catch 22 though. I'm sure we would all like retro shops but its in a way 'our' fault they're all disappearing as people raid ebay for cheap bargains or i've read lots of posts of finding old games at car boot sales or Oxfam etc for nothing.

You want indie shops to keep going, use them ! Everytime theres a retro show people moan about the prices at 'xxxx' stand when ebays cheaper, i even heard stories of people showing the price on ebay to a stall holder at Replay to show how overpriced their stuff was.

Changing times, just like the local cornershop, if you want your local indie game shop then support them by buying direct from them. But too many people dont as everyone wants the cheapest price going

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:50 pm

Based on the TV shows to games thread how about a feature about games based on TV shows?
Grange Hill
Supergran
Yes, Minister

there has to be loads though, right?
Orm and Cheep
Basildon Bond
Young Ones
There was a Neighbours game, right?
It could be a fun feature that carries the retro theme through the TV references as well as the games... dunno, just an idea. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:00 pm

It might work but picking what to include and what not to would be a very delicate issue (unless you include them all)

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:31 pm

As long as they include Orm and Cheep im good.

I think you all know what im talking about.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:54 pm

gman72 wrote:Based on the TV shows to games thread how about a feature about games based on TV shows?
Grange Hill
Supergran
Yes, Minister

there has to be loads though, right?
Orm and Cheep
Basildon Bond
Young Ones
There was a Neighbours game, right?
It could be a fun feature that carries the retro theme through the TV references as well as the games... dunno, just an idea. :D
Danger Mouse.

Dr Who (Mines Of Terror?)

Thunderbirds.

Scooby Doo

The Fall Guy

Airwolf/Blue Thunder

Postman Pat

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:19 am

I would to read a buyers guide to car boot sales that do retro machines and games, on what things are worth what, what they would be sold for etc..best car boots across the country people recommend here from the community attached with the retro shops idea, or possible the market place in Asia I don't think that has been given allot of coverage? , these are all possibly stupids ideas here, if so, please ignore it :)
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:45 am

Knight rider
Knight mare
Miami Vices
Was there ever a Dallas game?

merman

Post by merman » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:50 am

gman72 wrote:Knight rider
Knight mare
Miami Vices
Was there ever a Dallas game?
Yes, text/graphic adventure on the C64 called Dallas Quest.

Greyfox - don't think a car boot feature would be particularly viable. Locations/dates/times change so much. And attracting attention to the bargains will only make prices go up and bargains become rarer.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube