The Tails Blog Post - Disgusting!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JD!

The Tails Blog Post - Disgusting!

Post by JD! » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:13 am

I've already commented on the blog itself but I'm not sure if that gets monitored so I'm going to post this in the Feedback forum as well.

The "To Hate Tails" article is disgusting. I honestly can't believe that a publication such as Retro Gamer - one that has won awards and constantly provides such well written articles - would associate itself with this less than clever attempt at being shocking and controversial.

Firstly, there is the fact that this post is nothing more than a blatant excuse for the writer to kick the teeth out of a character he obviously dislikes. The reason for the inclusion of Tails was no to 'just' give Sonic a sidekick, but to give younger games someone to relate to. If the writer knew his history he would know that, unlike Nintendo, SEGA games were mostly played by the teenage audience. Tails was someone for their little brothers and sisters to enjoy. And I can tell you, as life-long member of the Sonic fan community, there are many, many, MANY people out there who know of and fell in love with the Sonic franchise due to that two tailed fox. This article does not only do a huge injustice to the importance of the Tails character and the effect he had on the popularity of Sonic, but is also quite insulting to any of those younger fans who may have enjoyed playing as Tails.

However, this is not even the worst of it. The article is terribly written. Being the RETRO GAMER blog, one expects a certain level of professionalism and quality vernacular due to the well written articles of the magazine. This post has neither. Instead of doing research and writing thoughtful, insightful and well formed arguments the writer tries to be cool and hip and uses whatever phrases he thinks are spoken by the cool kids in the playground. Calling Tails Sonic's "lil' censored," making jokes about Tails possibly being gay - which itself suggests there is something wrong with being gay and in turn suggests the writer to be some kind of homophobe - is the kind of shlock one expects in a local rag, not a quality publication such as Retro Gamer.

I understand the blog is not the Retro Gamer magazine, but the blog still carries its name. Perhaps the editors or whomever it is at Retro Gamer who presides over this blog needs to have another look at who is writing for it.

Accuse me of over reacting or being "Sega fanboy" or whatever you want but I'll tell you this; if that kind of trash stars to appear in the magazine proper I for one would be quickly cancelling my subscription.

merman

Re: The Tails Blog Post - Disgusting!

Post by merman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:17 am

1. It's a Retrobates post by Ryan Mcneilly, NOT the magazine

2. It was presumably posted on the blog because it was getting lots of views
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:27 am

3. It all seems pretty tongue in cheek.

4. Mentioning the word 'gay' doesn't make you a homophobe!

5. I thought it was a jolly amusing read!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:35 am

Blimey talk about an over over over the top response !

I mean someone getting that upset as some people dont like the Tails character - i think thats why us retro gamers have a bad image !

I thought it was amusing, nothing to take seriously, agree with Markopoloman above, saying someone might be gay doesnt make you homophobic or that. Do we live in a world where you cant ever say 'i think that persons straight (or gay)'

Must admit it made me laugh today reading the initial OTT post. Then again the same person was moaning about 8 bit coverage and wanting more 16 bit as thats the era he grew up in.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:52 am

JD! wrote:I've already commented on the blog itself but I'm not sure if that gets monitored so I'm going to post this in the Feedback forum as well.

The "To Hate Tails" article is disgusting. I honestly can't believe that a publication such as Retro Gamer - one that has won awards and constantly provides such well written articles - would associate itself with this less than clever attempt at being shocking and controversial.

Firstly, there is the fact that this post is nothing more than a blatant excuse for the writer to kick the teeth out of a character he obviously dislikes. The reason for the inclusion of Tails was no to 'just' give Sonic a sidekick, but to give younger games someone to relate to. If the writer knew his history he would know that, unlike Nintendo, SEGA games were mostly played by the teenage audience. Tails was someone for their little brothers and sisters to enjoy. And I can tell you, as life-long member of the Sonic fan community, there are many, many, MANY people out there who know of and fell in love with the Sonic franchise due to that two tailed fox. This article does not only do a huge injustice to the importance of the Tails character and the effect he had on the popularity of Sonic, but is also quite insulting to any of those younger fans who may have enjoyed playing as Tails.

However, this is not even the worst of it. The article is terribly written. Being the RETRO GAMER blog, one expects a certain level of professionalism and quality vernacular due to the well written articles of the magazine. This post has neither. Instead of doing research and writing thoughtful, insightful and well formed arguments the writer tries to be cool and hip and uses whatever phrases he thinks are spoken by the cool kids in the playground. Calling Tails Sonic's "lil' censored," making jokes about Tails possibly being gay - which itself suggests there is something wrong with being gay and in turn suggests the writer to be some kind of homophobe - is the kind of shlock one expects in a local rag, not a quality publication such as Retro Gamer.

I understand the blog is not the Retro Gamer magazine, but the blog still carries its name. Perhaps the editors or whomever it is at Retro Gamer who presides over this blog needs to have another look at who is writing for it.

Accuse me of over reacting or being "Sega fanboy" or whatever you want but I'll tell you this; if that kind of trash stars to appear in the magazine proper I for one would be quickly cancelling my subscription.
good grief

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:35 am

woooah.. I just read it now, it's clearly tongue in cheek, good heavens! Where's your sense of humour/funny bone thingy, the guy is clearly just having some fun that's all. I kinda did that with my Decathlon review (if its still up there). For all we know the guy probably actually likes playing Sonic! He's just having some fun.. lighten up champ!

Quite frankly I wish there was more humour, and its sad that Iain Lee had to go, we need more of it!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:11 pm

I'm assuming the OP in this thread is like when my friends competed to see who could get the most ridiculous letter printed in the local paper. It has the same level of faux offendedness and over criticality.

Might it even be a touch Max Clifford, a stoolie drawing attention to an otherwise mundane article, gaining exposure it doesn't warrant?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:50 pm

'Sonic Fighters created so fans could beat up Tails. '

How is that not funny? :mrgreen:
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:10 pm

its a shame the article has been edited due to some pathetic squealing

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:36 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I'm assuming the OP in this thread is like when my friends competed to see who could get the most ridiculous letter printed in the local paper. It has the same level of faux offendedness and over criticality.

Might it even be a touch Max Clifford, a stoolie drawing attention to an otherwise mundane article, gaining exposure it doesn't warrant?
I put it down to either the above, someone really is putting chemicals into the local water supply/my tin foil hat is'nt working or space Nazi's...because if it's not one or more of the above, that'd mean...

There's outrage over a 2D fox, which has and extra tail and can 'fly' (and is mates with a blue hedgehog, who wears shoes, runs like the clappers and battles a fat old man with ginger hair) and questions over his sexuality-not seen this sort of stuff since people said Paul out of Namco's Tekken might be batting for the other side.

Right......

OP is like, aware of what we in the Westcountry used to do with foxes...right, having an extra tail or being a touch unsure which way the wind blew, ahem, was least of their worries.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:20 pm

This is news to me. So did Paul come out, or is he bi, or did he refute all rumours.

Or is he just a pretend person who doesn't actually have a preference?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:47 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:This is news to me. So did Paul come out, or is he bi, or did he refute all rumours.

Or is he just a pretend person who doesn't actually have a preference?
Well according to Namco he's 187 CM hiegh, wieghs 87KG, Blood Type O, nothing on sexuality mind.....

Heihachi, i've me doubts on...king Of The Iron Fist....say no more squire!.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:23 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:its a shame the article has been edited due to some pathetic squealing
Has it??!! :shock:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:50 pm

You Tell it like it is JD!,
I am sick of this homophobic,NAZI rag and all of the posters on this forum who bow to the editorial line of different is bad!!!!!
Why-I only had to look at another topic in the feedback section entitled "subscription QUERIES", what exactly do they mean?,that everyone who takes out a subscription is queer?
Well, I for one will not stand for Neanderthal attitudes like this, I am now going to take out a subscription just so I can cancel it.

Then we will see who is laughing!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan_McN

Post by Ryan_McN » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:52 pm

I'm the uneducated moron who wrote that article.
Honestly, I am sorry if I offended anyone but seriously... It's not intended to be taken seriously!
I am a little miffed that someone would want to cancel their subscription to RG as they were offended by comments made about a fictional character!
Hey, I'm a huge fan of the Sonic games. I'm also a huge Mario fan (although that Toad dude may be a bit 'funny').
For the record, the original article did not contain the word 'gay', so that was the OP's perception. There was a line that said Tails was Sonic's "'lil b**ch".. as in his lapdog.. it's a saying which has nothing to do with homosexuality. Again, OP's perception.
It's a retrobate article dude, it wasn't written by RG staff and not featured in the magazine. It's a little fun. I'm sure all would welcome you to submit your own article on way Tails is so awesome and iconic.
It wasn't intended to be a factual encyclopedia entry mate!