From the forum issue 125 - Favourite movie licence

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

From the forum issue 125 - Favourite movie licence

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:54 am

I'd love to hear about your favourite games based on popular films. It's for the letters page :)

The Laird

Re: From the forum issue 125 - Favourite movie licence

Post by The Laird » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:17 am

Robocop by Ocean has to be the best one.

With notable mentions for Batman The Movie, Dracula (Lynx) and Alien Vs. Predator (Jaguar)

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:39 am

Easily Platoon on C64.Proved once and for all you did'nt have to turn a a fim based around war into game which was little more than a Commando clone, but by following events from the film closely, you could produce stunning results.

Technically superb (opening levels high res. sprites, to the first-person tunnel system, which made for a tense experience to say the least, to the atmospheric foxhole sequence set at night), from the visual (C64's 'muddy' colours used to great effect, to the audio (music just added so much to the game), the entire package set the benchmark.

Notible mentions would also be:The Untouchables (Ocean), Batman The Movie (Ocean), Batman Returns (MCD), Terminator:S.E (MCD), Robocop III (Ocean/D.I.D)

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:40 am

The Laird wrote:Robocop by Ocean has to be the best one.

With notable mentions for Dracula (Lynx) and Alien Vs. Predator (Jaguar)
AVP games (Jaguar, Arcade, SNES and Lynx) are all based on Dark Horse comics (they started the cross-over featuring the 2 movie greats), films did'nt come out till after the game.
As C+VG put it in their preview of Jaguar AVP: '..The plot is simple, and you can't help but get the feeling that if 20th Century Fox decide to unite Aliens with Predator on the big screen, this would be the best way to do it'

Rebellion's PSP game based on the film, is bloody awful, put together in mere weeks and it shows.

Dracula..err, that's based on the novel, just presented in an old film style manner.The awful Psygnosis games were based on the movie.

:wink:Anal i know, but huge Alien/s fan so my inner geek came out.
Last edited by Lost Dragon on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:00 am

I imagine there will be a number of nods for Goldeneye in due course... it really did demonstrate that a console could do a FPS and do it exceedingly well, both in single and multiplayer. Nowdays the single player is tacked on.

There are a few choices mulling in my head, I will plump for Navy SEALs on the C64. Not only a terrific game, that requires forethought and skill (one hit deaths!), but managed to make an excellent effort in the game that the film sorely lacks. File also under "Hudson Hawk" here.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:20 am

Got to be Goldeneye on the N64. An amazing single player game with a very fun multiplayer mode. Goldeneye really is to thank (or blame?) for console FPS multiplayer becoming as big as it is today.

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:18 am

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom in the Arcade has to be up there along with Aladdin on MD.
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:23 am

Lost Dragon wrote: Dracula..err, that's based on the novel, just presented in an old film style manner.The awful Psygnosis games were based on the movie.
And the Hammer horror film, hence why there is a digitised Christopher Lee in the game. ;)

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:43 am

Batman the Movie, especially on the Amiga. A superb combination of genres that perfectly follows the movie. And the Batmobile and Batwing sections were fantastic. I often come back to it and it still plays brilliantly.

Many other Ocean licenses were good, Robocop and Platoon surely, The Untouchables too.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

sidney

Post by sidney » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:06 pm

Without a doubt Batman the Movie on the mighty Amiga, Robocop on the Spectrum and C64, also.....don't forget the genius of Joffa with Cobra also on Sir Clive's wonderful box of joy!! Also it would be a crime not to include Goldeneye N64, great games all.
Last edited by sidney on Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:08 pm

The Laird wrote:
Lost Dragon wrote: Dracula..err, that's based on the novel, just presented in an old film style manner.The awful Psygnosis games were based on the movie.
And the Hammer horror film, hence why there is a digitised Christopher Lee in the game. ;)
:D Loose connection to Hammer film, but a far superior approach to taking on the subject matter than that of say the MCD game, based around the later film.

For my sins earlier i forgot to mention Aliens (UK version) by Electric Dreams on C64.Taking a far, far better approach than Activision's USA game (collection of sub-games) managed to convey the tension from the film superbly.

I seemed to enjoy the more primitive, 8 bit film tie-in's than i ever did those from say the PS2 era.

Not expecting many nominations for:Red Heat, Friday The 13th, E.T, The Running Man...etc.....
:lol:

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:25 pm

Blade Runner!

Loved 'Westwoods' adaption of this. Great film, great game.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:29 pm

The Indiana Jones Adventure pinball machine. I can't really think of any truly decent movie licence video games, other than Predator on the C64..

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:01 pm

I would go with Platoon on the C64, too. It was superbly atmospheric, with amazing graphics and a brilliant, sombre piece of loading music. The fact that it wasn't a straight shoot 'em up and actually had some real thought put into it was most welcome. And because they tried something truly different, it was a much more memorable game. The tunnel and bunker sections, in particular, were incredibly tense and like nothing that had been done before at that point. Excellent stuff.

The Amiga version of Batman The Movie warrants a special mention for its incredible Batmobile level, though.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:10 pm

Is The Great Escape a proper movie-licenced game? Loved that on the Speccy! If not, then obviously Goldeneye was great! Oh, and Jurassic Park on the SNES was great fun...especially the Doom-style wandery bits! :mrgreen:
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!