Retro Gamer - Issue 124

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jdanddiet

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 124

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:51 pm

Still no me though, did my pic not get approved? Didn't think it was that bad :wink:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:00 pm

jdanddiet wrote:Still no me though, did my pic not get approved? Didn't think it was that bad :wink:
We can go and sit in the corner mate and b1tch about the others :mrgreen:

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:04 pm

I really enjoyed this months issue, it suited my tastes well. I'm also loving the fact that CPC bomb jack being the definitive 8 bit port as opposed to the speccy has been immortalised in print :D

Eat your nans pants

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:25 pm

I've never had my head on the front page either... c'est la vie :P
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Dan Hero

Post by Dan Hero » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:09 pm

got it yesterday, I'm pretty puzzled by the Altered Beast article. Uchida San talks about references to other SEGA games, and the Alex Kidd one is very famous. But the Shinobi one? What about it? Does anybody know what is the Shinobi reference? I can finish AB with one credit but this Shinobi reference still eludes me...
my english may be a little rusty, but my heart's still retro

belgium

Post by belgium » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:37 am

lovely issue , the balance between 8bit and newer stuff is spot on this time , and i'm a sucker for atari !

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:07 pm

BTW, all 3 front-page options looked like good designs.

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:29 pm

A really good issue, the arcade racer article was of interest, i've always had a spot spot for Outrun, even though I can rarely do well at it, must be the music that does it ! I loved the sit in version. Pole Position was great fun to, the BBC was pretty good too, better than Overdrive which had no corners !! (yes really straight road racing!)

Boulderdash is a classic, always loved the game, and was so pleased when Tynesoft did the honours and converted it to the BBC, such a brilliant game and still great fun to play today, apart from rocks and diamonds, there is very little similarities between Repton and Boulderdash, both great games in their own right.

Bombjack article was excellent too, always wanted it, it was hinted at that a BBC version was coming but it never happened, until now, there is one in development called BeebJack hopefully coming soon from Retro Software.

The Activision and Atari 2600 games articles were both of interest too, i'd like to see some Atari Lynx in depth coverage at some point too.

Next month - Archimedes, Paperboy and Knight Lore - look forward to it .

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:14 pm

Sad to see Iain Lee go. Will you replace him with someone else?
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:24 pm

It was an average issue for me TBH. Some good articles in there, Wonderboy, Altered Beast etc but too much old, basic looking Atari coverage for my personal tastes.
I just cant believe that anyone - except perhaps Laird - actually plays these games for any length of time anymore.
Ive played most of them via emulation and on the actual hardware back in the day and they are so rubbish, although I do love the Atari 8bit sound effects. I can admit that the Atari history makes for an interesting story but how many times can one spin the same tale? If the mags main focus is 8 bit stuff I don't understand why we have to keep going over these basic, bland virtually pointless Atari games time and time again when there is tons of much better 8bit stuff to mull over.
Anyway, im well aware that the old Atari consoles are inexplicably well loved around here but im buggered if I can understand the attraction. Can anyone make me understand?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

merman

Post by merman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:51 am

gman72 wrote:It was an average issue for me TBH. Some good articles in there, Wonderboy, Altered Beast etc but too much old, basic looking Atari coverage for my personal tastes.
I just cant believe that anyone - except perhaps Laird - actually plays these games for any length of time anymore.
Ive played most of them via emulation and on the actual hardware back in the day and they are so rubbish, although I do love the Atari 8bit sound effects. I can admit that the Atari history makes for an interesting story but how many times can one spin the same tale? If the mags main focus is 8 bit stuff I don't understand why we have to keep going over these basic, bland virtually pointless Atari games time and time again when there is tons of much better 8bit stuff to mull over.
Anyway, im well aware that the old Atari consoles are inexplicably well loved around here but im buggered if I can understand the attraction. Can anyone make me understand?
I've never read an article on the XEGS before, so it was worth reading.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:12 am

Unless he is referring to the Activision article of course, because the XEGS has never been covered in RG before (as Merman says).
merman wrote:I've never read an article on the XEGS before, so it was worth reading.
Glad you liked it though, it's an interesting story I felt where a manufacturer actually tried to give the retailers what they said the customer wanted.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:29 am

gman72 wrote:It was an average issue for me TBH. Some good articles in there, Wonderboy, Altered Beast etc but too much old, basic looking Atari coverage for my personal tastes.
:wink: Think you have to expect 'old, basic looking' games and hardware to feature mate.Atari just getting it's time under the spotlight at the moment.I've owned various A8's over the years, was an 800XL owner at the time, then picked up a 600XL, then another 800XL with disk drive years later, but once novelty of re-discovering old gems and finding some more i'd previousily never played wore off, i ended up selling the hardware on again.Emulation suits my basic needs just fine.I much prefer to read about 8 bit era hardware/software these days (how things turned out the way they did, what could have been etc etc) than actually play.

I still hold there's plenty of scope for more A8 coverage (but at a much later date) as the machine played host to a much wider range of games that really stood out, than say the ST (who's coverage has really run the course now, unless you cover the really early games, you've a dry well here).The attraction? well for we ex-A8 owners of the era, i guess it was always a case of what could have been if the A8 range had the support of say the C64 here in UK.

The spin the same tale aspect, mentioned this in feedback for last months issue, but as long term Edge and RetroGamer reader and once Gamestm reader, i am finding myself skimming a lot more RG articles than i used to.Tempest 2000, Shadow run to name 2 i'd read up on years ago, MSR in this months issue, Edge nailed good while back, so yes it's something the magazine needs to be looking at.The dressing up of a familar tale can make or break an article to a long term reader.Not a critiscm, merely an observation.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:43 am

jdanddiet wrote:Still no me though, did my pic not get approved? Didn't think it was that bad :wink:
:lol: Just starting to browse mag and OMG, looking at The Retrobates page, you might be better off with no piccy.Is Paul Davies head really that long? Steve Holmes piccy makes it look like he's just trodden in something rather unpleasant, Jonathan Wells does'nt look comfortable etc etc...were these drawn whilst The retrobates were held at gunpoint? (joking....).

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:05 am

Hmmmn.So far, so expected..the MSR article telling same tales as the edge feature (film dropped between 2 lift doors, car engine being blown up during sound recording etc etc), guess there was only so much background info on making of the game to dig up, Activision history, nice but again a well trodden path, ditto Boulderdash, so cannot see myself spending too much time on these.(again i'm at pains to point out this is more a reflection of myself being an avid magazine reader for years, rather than knocking the articles and fully understand these could be 1st time reads to others, so little disclaimer there.... :lol: ).

The XE article then, as an A8 owner, i'm more than aware of the hardwares pro's and cons and sorry, but whilst i'd take A8 Dropzone, Elktraglide, Rescue On Fract etc etc over the C64 versions any day, it simply was out-gunned by the C64 in some key areas (number of sprites, sound chip etc) and thus i find it hard to swallow that it was more than a match for it's rivials in 1985.The hardware was simply too old by then and the article points out the sprite limitations and great as Panther is on A8, it looks worse than the C64 version and if you look at A8 Rampage, Green Beret etc, you'll see just how much of an impact the lack of sprites had when converting newer arcade games to A8, so it clearly was'nt a 'match' for the likes of the C64 in these areas.Coders like Jeff Minter at the time happy to talk of the drawbacks when converting simplier looking games like AMC to A8 from C64 and how the sprite limitations were a pain.

Also the article quick to point out there just was'nt the software being written for the XE to really make it stand out.Rescue On Fractalus featured again, as are Tempest Xtreem, Space Harrier, Star Raiders II, Xenophobe etc.
Atari, at the time happy to boast of how they'd taken XE hardware to UK developers, how much praise it got etc etc, yet you'd read interviews with UK publishers and when question of what plans to convert existing A8 tape/disk based software (limited as it was) let alone write new software for the XE, it was simply case of we have currently no plans to convert existing games....

It was a catch-22.Publishers not going to sign up and get games written for XE until userbase reached a point where it was commercially viable and userbase not going to reach that point if the XE did'nt have the must have games....Atari i always felt just used it to clear warehouse stock, dropped it soon as it suited them, lot of completed games never being released, good few turning up in a shipment of goods from Atari USA and clearly once intended to be part of a marketing/promo.campain that never really happened.

I'll have a proper read of article later, on nights so just skimming at moment.The XE just narks me as a format, as it's yet another case of looking at Atari and eye rolling over decisions they made and how they treated formats they released.

Looking forward to The Unconverted, Jim Bagley, Homebrew etc, but that'll have to wait till after work.