Retro Gamer - Issue 124

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

craigy132

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 124

Post by craigy132 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:10 pm

gman72 wrote:It was an average issue for me TBH. Some good articles in there, Wonderboy, Altered Beast etc but too much old, basic looking Atari coverage for my personal tastes.
I just cant believe that anyone - except perhaps Laird - actually plays these games for any length of time anymore.
Ive played most of them via emulation and on the actual hardware back in the day and they are so rubbish, although I do love the Atari 8bit sound effects. I can admit that the Atari history makes for an interesting story but how many times can one spin the same tale? If the mags main focus is 8 bit stuff I don't understand why we have to keep going over these basic, bland virtually pointless Atari games time and time again when there is tons of much better 8bit stuff to mull over.
Anyway, im well aware that the old Atari consoles are inexplicably well loved around here but im buggered if I can understand the attraction. Can anyone make me understand?
I regularly play 2600 games via emulation. A blast on space invaders is still as enjoyable now as when I was an 8 year old kid ( always found 2600 invaders to be much more playable than its arcade counterpart ) And a lot of the activision titles still appeal. Then again I suppose Im in the minority as I detest all the latest COD and medal of honour type games on the latest consoles so its all down to personal taste I guess

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:50 pm

I've now read the magazine cover to cover, and here - for what it's worth - is my two penneth.

Really enjoyed the XEGS article, not a machine I remember being covered before, and some quite interesting new facts were in the article. Yes the A8 series has been covered a lot recently, but not in a repetitive way I feel, quite nice to see a computer other that the Spectrum or the C64 getting all the limelight.

Also enjoyed the Arcade Racers article... well to a point, as thought it got a bit modern by the end. Also the whole page taken up by 'What makes a great arcade racer' or whatever it was, was a complete filler, and looked like something out of a five year old childs book. So people like speed and cool cars... I never knew, plus half the page was a picture of the back of a mans head, and the other half of a modern(ish) racer. Never mind the article itself was well written.

Minority Report was excellent, really, really interesting games there - also Unconverted was interesting (always is). Back to 80's/90's great as ever, and as a bonus no Iain Lee... only Mr. Davies to get rid of now.

I have to say my heart sank when I saw the Activision feature... how many times do we have to hear the Activision story. I'm not even that interested and I could tell you how the company was formed, pretty sure that section about no credit for programmers on games at Atari has been reused many, many times in Retro Gamer... also if I see that 70's picture of David Crane once more in the magazine I may have to cancel my subscription. Again a well written article, but a well trodden path.

The Wonderboy article was good, and told me things I didn't know about a series I'm not overly familiar with... much more the sort of thing I would like to read in Retro Gamer, there must be so many unsung games series out there, why do we have to see Mr Crane and Activision all the time.

Mined Out article was fantastic, and reminded me of a game I'd played as a youngster and had forgotten all about until the magazine came... brilliant stuff.

Altered Beast is a game I'm not particularly interested in, but not a bad article. Boulderdash I can't help feeling I'd read about it before, but it may have been somewhere else other than RG. Good article.

MSR article was as somebody said already a subject I'd already read about (Edge?) and much of the article too modern for my tastes. Still it was nice to read about a game I did have and play when I bought a Dreamcast in the 90's.

Quite a good issue for me, but fingers crossed we don't hear the Activision story again in RG for at least ten years.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:25 pm

glad u liked the mined out article, that was good fun to do. I think it's important for these little games to get coverage, even if it's only 2 pages
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:38 pm

jdanddiet wrote:glad u liked the mined out article, that was good fun to do. I think it's important for these little games to get coverage, even if it's only 2 pages
Absolutely! In fact as I've already over-laboured, I'd much rather read about those little games than re-read about the same big names and companies every month. Thanks again for the article, it really brought back happy memories and nostalgia - and thats what I believe a magazine about Retro Games should do.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:56 pm

Don't forget to check out my blog. I've put a few little makings of on there as well. Latest one was on Mastertronic's Pippo

http://jdanddiet.blogspot.co.uk/search/ ... 20Articles
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:09 pm

I also love the articles like mined-out, Boulderdash too, smaller games that were made by one or two people in the pioneering days, I love reading about that stuff, perhaps the romantic notion of a bedroom programmer suddenly making it big. Just never gets old for me.

I thought it was a terrific issue on the whole, I was personally interested in most of the games so it was a bonus and having not known anything about the Atari XEGS is kind of like a surprise, something to "re-discover".

So great job to all those involved, really enjoyed that issue and also glad Wonderboy got some coverage - now all that needs to be done is the C64 needs to be re-reviewed by the RG team cos Zzap! gave it a cruel 49% to which I have never emotionally recovered from. It clearly deserves at the very least 90% and certainly Mr Rignall was high on crack that day - and poor quality crack at that.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:38 pm

Wonderboy on the C64 was... horrible! A purchase I regretted. :evil:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:40 pm

Did a quick search and only found one mention of Chinese in this thread. So thought I should say something (not read any other feedback).

I've never come across Kerry Brunskill's name before in games writing, but the 4 page feature on Chinese RPGs is the kind of article which would encourage me to keep a subscription to RG.

That's proper journalism right there. Investigating an obscure, esoteric or niche topic and delivering the information in an easy to digest way to readers who would otherwise have great difficulty finding it.

I will never get to play these Chinese RPGs, but for those 4 pages I lived vicariously through those words and screenshots, perhaps I will even watch a Youtube video now. For a moment I was able to glimpse and almost feel as if I truly comprehended a world entirely alien to me. Furthermore, by having this knowledge now, I have a deeper appreciation of topics I knew well. How better to understand the Japanese games industry than by increasing one's knowledge of games from China and Korea, and the cross-proliferation that took place.

Fascinating.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:42 pm

markopoloman wrote:Wonderboy on the C64 was... horrible! A purchase I regretted. :evil:
See?? See the terrible effect Mr Ignall had on society's youth at the time? Guy should've been locked up I tell you!

;)

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:10 pm

craigy132 wrote:
gman72 wrote:It was an average issue for me TBH. Some good articles in there, Wonderboy, Altered Beast etc but too much old, basic looking Atari coverage for my personal tastes.
I just cant believe that anyone - except perhaps Laird - actually plays these games for any length of time anymore.
Ive played most of them via emulation and on the actual hardware back in the day and they are so rubbish, although I do love the Atari 8bit sound effects. I can admit that the Atari history makes for an interesting story but how many times can one spin the same tale? If the mags main focus is 8 bit stuff I don't understand why we have to keep going over these basic, bland virtually pointless Atari games time and time again when there is tons of much better 8bit stuff to mull over.
Anyway, im well aware that the old Atari consoles are inexplicably well loved around here but im buggered if I can understand the attraction. Can anyone make me understand?
I regularly play 2600 games via emulation. A blast on space invaders is still as enjoyable now as when I was an 8 year old kid ( always found 2600 invaders to be much more playable than its arcade counterpart ) And a lot of the activision titles still appeal. Then again I suppose Im in the minority as I detest all the latest COD and medal of honour type games on the latest consoles so its all down to personal taste I guess
That's fair enough mate I was talking with reference to my own tastes not everybody elses however I fail to see what detesting COD has to do with liking 8bit Atari games.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

kimimi

Post by kimimi » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:41 am

Szczepaniak wrote:...
I've never come across Kerry Brunskill's name before in games writing.....
I suppose it's time I popped my head 'round the door and said "That's me!". I'm responsible for (or guilty of, depending on what you thought of it) the Chinese games Minority Report article, and I sadly seem to be responsible for a lot of the (recent, not series specific) English language coverage Chinese games get full stop. Much as I love writing about games in general, it was personally important to me to see just one article in print on Chinese games that took a proper look at what's going on over there and didn't fall back on mocking the region for producing NES hacks, and I hope my work did a good job of conveying the quality and variety of RPGs available.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:00 am

@ipmarks:Yep, it was myself who mentioned MSR had been covered in Edge (Issue 166 in fact) with a 'The Making Of....8 page feature and they went into a little more detail, but in fairness to RG, this was in the Sept 2006 issue of Edge, so it's not been covered for years.

Trouble is, if like myself you regularly re-read old mags like Edge, who to their credit really did superb Making Of...features (and sadly stopped), you sometimes find RG magazine retreads very familar ground, years later.Had same 'issue' with last months Tempest 2000 article-Great to see it in RG, you know it's going to repeat so much content.

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:48 am

kimimi wrote:
I've never come across Kerry Brunskill's name before in games writing.....
I suppose it's time I popped my head 'round the door and said "That's me!".
Ahh! We know each other from HG101! I don't ever recall seeing your real name associated with the nickname though.

Neato - along with Kurt's Wonderboy piece, this issue has two HG101 comrades in it.

I've long since wanted to know more about domestically produced high quality Chinese games. I recall reading magazine scanned articles written by Mr Sobodash, looking at the unique sphere of Chinese games. But as you say, there's very, very little coverage on them, both online and in print. Korean coverage meanwhile seems restricted almost exclusively to things written by Derboo.

As soon as English patches come out for these games, allowing my foreign language challenged brain to appreciate them, I will be all over them. In the meantime, I hope increasing written coverage of them generates interest in players and fan-translators. Who needs the dull always-online next gen when you can plunder an entire nation's as yet unseen back catalogue? 8)

EDIT:
ipmarks wrote:as a bonus no Iain Lee... only Mr. Davies to get rid of now.
I didn't even notice his absence. Finally. Did anyone enjoy his column? It's not like he even talked about games half the time - the last time I read it he rattled on about what it was like to stand in Smiths, and crap about his mates. Utter tosh every single time. Mr Davies used to be editor of CVG, but he doesn't say anything of substance either. All wishy washy memories about the past.

It would be nice to see someone like Frank Gasking of Games That Weren't, or Frank Cifaldi formerly of Lost Levels, writing a monthly column. These guys have made it their living to hunt down unreleased games and release it to the public. They've probably got numerous interesting stories. Alternate them each month, call the column: "Leave it to the Franks"

Failing that, what about someone who runs a game preservation organisation? I know someone who spends their days in a laboratory preserving old floppies, hunting down almost lost items, making backroom deals, recreating cover scans from several damaged copies to create a single non-damaged copy. Fascinating stuff. There's probably half a dozen academics who would write it for free, and can then enthrall us all about the technicalities of preserving our hobby.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:11 am

Think you're never going to please everyone. I really enjoyed his columns, liked the nostalgia about being in WHSmiths looking at computer magazines or swapping some game with a mate at school which didnt work in the end etc. Plus top marks to him for helping out at the last second (didnt want any money for an appearance, just travel costs) when he turned up at the retro show in Blackpool when Gail Porter at the last second cancelled.

kimimi

Post by kimimi » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:11 am

Ahh! We know each other from HG101! I don't ever recall seeing your real name associated with the nickname though.
I try to avoid using my real name if I don't have to, but recently it's started cropping up in a few places :)
Szczepaniak wrote:As soon as English patches come out for these games, allowing my foreign language challenged brain to appreciate them, I will be all over them. In the meantime, I hope increasing written coverage of them generates interest in players and fan-translators. Who needs the dull always-online next gen when you can plunder an entire nation's as yet unseen back catalogue? 8)
I can only hope there comes a day when Chinese games are no big deal and anyone can get a translation patch to play them, but until then I'll just have to keep banging the drum!