Retro Gamer - Issue 124

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 124

Post by The Laird » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:05 pm

jdanddiet wrote:Thanks Kieren, I did consider making it into a "history of minesweeper games" type article but I couldn't get the contacts in time. Glad you still liked it mate.
I meant the other versions of Mined Out rather than Minesweeper. But that said, it did inspire me to write a review of the Falcon game Ultimate Minesweeper for Atari User!

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:42 pm

This is my favourite issue for some time. Loved the Activision article, the racers and great to see some Vic 20 coverage in the homebrew section. Great cover too, best one for ages.

senatortombstone

Post by senatortombstone » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:59 pm

I live in Minnesota. This is to be my first issue. Do you know when I, as a U.S. subscriber, can expect to receive this issue?

davyK

Post by davyK » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:08 pm

Nice to see Bombjack getting some attention - I played the CPC464 version to death. I am in danger of downloading the 360 port......

Always great to see anything about the 2600 - can't get enough of it .....pity Fishing Derby only got a mention - loved that game. Megamania and Kaboom! were my favourite Activision games though.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:52 am

Havent posted here in aaaages but have still been grabbing the mag. Sadly again an issue not too relevant in content to me personally (been like that a fair few) but thats just me, the mag itself has still been good and next months sounds excellent!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

craigy132

Post by craigy132 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:08 am

On the subject of bombjack, does anyone know if its available for the ps3 via psn?

sidney

Post by sidney » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:14 pm

Really good issue, wide variety of interesting articles to whet the gaming palette!

russty_russ

Post by russty_russ » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:56 pm

Great issue as always and happy 10th birthday to Retro Gamer. Can't believe January 2004 was Issue 1 and look how far it has come. Now bring back an anniversary cover CD :)

Oh and nice mention of Icicle Works as well. Would love a full blown Commodore Plus/4 article at some point in the future.
Last edited by russty_russ on Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rjay63

Post by rjay63 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:09 pm

Hello there, first post on this forum as I bought issue 124 on Friday. Thanks very much for the MSR article; I've collecting various magazine snippets from back in the day as I feel this was one of Dreamcast's most important games. IMO it was meant to be Sega Europe's killer app for the DC but sadly it wasn't to be, although the game's spirit did live on the PGR series. I can't consider PGR a true sequel though (more a spiritual successor) as the driving physics are so different compared to MSR.

MSR even inspired me to make my own Youtube review and even a website hosting my best ghost times which Dreamcast owners can download to VMU (http://msr.netii.net/).

One question I'd like to ask though although it's a bit of a longshot: do the Chudleys have any archives of the old MSR rankings/VMU challenges that were hosted on Sega's Dreamarena? All I've managed to find are some tiny screenshots in an issue of the Official Dreamcast Magazine and some bits from archive.org which I've used to update Wikipedia. Sadly Sega themselves have been unable to help. It's a shame because fans of Sega Rally 2 and Ferrari F355 challenge on the DC have preserved their rankings and I'd thought some of MSR's fans would've done the same.

Thanks in advance.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:02 pm

Only just getting through now, due to the launch of my new digital Mag "Atari Gamer", do a search you can't miss it :), firstly I absolutely love the cover for this months issue, it was a brilliant design concept and cleverly used in it's manner, really loved it, the content as usual never fail to let me down, even on the stuff I have no real interest, but from the first few lines on my post, I think you know what article this month was a true winner for me?

yes you've guessed it, it was the fantastically insightful Atari XE games system cover story from Kieren Hawken, lots of of cool stuff for me to sink my teeth into, and fantastic to see Chuck Peavey getting a mention and been interviewed, as he doesn't really do interviews, so amazing work for that, I really enjoyed the read..you should consider making him a regular..these two newbie on the editor's page, I've never heard of them before, let alone read any of their stuff and yet they have a sit at the king's table? hmm..

but another victory for Retro Gamer Magazine..great stuff :D
↓↓Click Link to See More
[url=http://www.greyfoxbooks.com[/url]

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:41 am

Greyfox wrote:Only just getting through now, due to the launch of my new digital Mag "Atari Gamer", do a search you can't miss it :), firstly I absolutely love the cover for this months issue, it was a brilliant design concept and cleverly used in it's manner, really loved it, the content as usual never fail to let me down, even on the stuff I have no real interest, but from the first few lines on my post, I think you know what article this month was a true winner for me?

yes you've guessed it, it was the fantastically insightful Atari XE games system cover story from Kieren Hawken, lots of of cool stuff for me to sink my teeth into, and fantastic to see Chuck Peavey getting a mention and been interviewed, as he doesn't really do interviews, so amazing work for that, I really enjoyed the read..you should consider making him a regular..these two newbie on the editor's page, I've never heard of them before, let alone read any of their stuff and yet they have a sit at the king's table? hmm..

Nick is the new staff writer, taking over from Stuart Hunt. The rest of the comments are based on who replied to Darran's e-mail in time. So if you have an article in the issue, you may get an appearance on that page.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:48 am

Greyfox wrote:yes you've guessed it, it was the fantastically insightful Atari XE games system cover story from Kieren Hawken, l
Ha ha yeah i guessed you were going to say that !

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:02 am

Loving the new issue. But no Wipeout in the arcade racers piece?

I'd have thought it was very arcade.
Thoughts and prayers.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:04 am

We should have given it more than the token gesture we did.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:01 pm

Greyfox wrote: these two newbie on the editor's page, I've never heard of them before, let alone read any of their stuff and yet they have a sit at the king's table? hmm..

The newbies on the front page aren't newbies at all (aside from Nick). Steve is our sub, Jon is our designer. They're a pretty essential part of the team that makes the magazine on a day-to-day basis so they were drawn up. In an ideal world we'd have everyone who contributes to the mag on the front page, but it's not actually possible (we couldn't fit them all on for a start!).