New retro gamer website feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: New retro gamer website feedback

Post by Megamixer » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:17 pm

dste wrote:Don't know about anyone else but the <<Return to the homepage link at the top of the forum just gives me a 'The address isn't valid' page when I click on it.
Just tested it and it doesn't work for me either.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:07 am

I went to post a comment and couldn't log in - a google page popped up in a new window and then the RG page refreshed and nothing happened.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

fahrenheit1987

Post by fahrenheit1987 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:14 pm

I'm finding the website painful to use. I can't figure out how to login to my retrobate profile. I obviously did this at some point because I am on there, but I don't know what my password is or even how to easily get to a login page. When I found a login button (for a comment) I clicked on the 'retrogamer' button and it took me to google. I was hoping to submit some reviews but I genuinely can't get my head around how it works. I'm using an Ipad. Is it better on a PC? I could go upstairs to try but I'm comfortable where I am!

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:24 pm

fahrenheit1987 wrote:I'm finding the website painful to use. I can't figure out how to login to my retrobate profile. I obviously did this at some point because I am on there, but I don't know what my password is or even how to easily get to a login page. When I found a login button (for a comment) I clicked on the 'retrogamer' button and it took me to google. I was hoping to submit some reviews but I genuinely can't get my head around how it works. I'm using an Ipad. Is it better on a PC? I could go upstairs to try but I'm comfortable where I am!
It's not better on a PC. It's rubbish generally. All style over substance. It's confusing, stylistically a mess and it doesn't work. Nobody will admit it though.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:07 pm

you're admitting it.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:23 pm

Nobody important will admit it.

PAC

Post by PAC » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:04 pm

Good to see the frequency of posts increasing on the homepage !

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:02 am

We aim for one a day.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:06 am

Noticed the forum was down for a long time on Saturday and Sunday evening due to SQL errors. Hope that the same old issues aren't returning!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:40 am

Megamixer wrote:Noticed the forum was down for a long time on Saturday and Sunday evening due to SQL errors. Hope that the same old issues aren't returning!
Yes I noticed that too.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:44 am

We've had SQL errors a few times recently, usually it comes back very quickly but I suppose at times like that the admins are off duty/on call so it'll take a bit longer.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:39 am

What causes SQL errors anyway? As in, the forum's fine and suddenly it goes down but it can be reactivated (I assume) straight away when admin/tech clock the problem. Is it not something that can be permanently stopped from happening? Don't know much about these sorts of gremlins myself.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:05 am

I'm no expert, but could be any number of things. Something simple like a lost network connection between the SQL server and the location of the SQL database file is minor, or could be the database itself corrupting/accepting bad data (not good), restoring from the previous update or just culling the bad data entry. Bear in mind we've been running for donkey's years now. Imagine keeping a regular PC going that long, compared to our forum which has been going for over a decade.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:41 pm

Getting used to frequently seeing a "Board temporarily unavailable" message now. The place is getting more unstable.

ommadawnyawn

Post by ommadawnyawn » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:53 am

The style is cool, but what I don't care for is the 5 column wide layout. I would much prefer 1 wider column with a bit more text and images, and if you must then 1 smaller one to the right or left side of it. Easier to browse and more relaxing to look at.

I'm also wondering about comments on blogs - It doesn't seem you can comment on them, and there aren't any forum threads about them either? Why not?
Mini-reviews & Lists: http://minirevver.weebly.com/, Youtube (chiptunes, romhacks): https://www.youtube.com/user/Alianger/videos, Retro game mockups: http://alianger.imgur.com/