New retro gamer website feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroBob

Re: New retro gamer website feedback

Post by RetroBob » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:50 am

Haha best reach for that Collins dictionary I see on your desk!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:14 am

Ah I see it, I'll have a word with the designers. Maybe they've done it to be US centric friendly.

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:56 am

It's correct in some places, but most of them are wrong.

It runs a bit slow, but overall I don't mind it. Maybe reducing the number of "news squares" on a page will speed things up a bit. I'll be building a new PC soon, so that will help, but it should work at a sensible speed for most people, and at the moment it's much slower than anything else I view.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:03 pm

Typos in RG, who'd have thunk it ;)

Its beyond slow for me. Just timed it and with adblock on, it took 30 seconds to load the skeleton of the page then another 15 seconds to show the content below. With adblock off, it took a whole minute to display the page. I was able to play Dead Space on this PC and it can't cope with a web page?

Its even worse on my tablet. Loading is slow, but with so much content on the page its juddering about when scrolling and the animations are laggy, not runnning smooth at all. Again, not a bottom end tablet, an Asus ME301T (if it helps the techs with their load balancing), so should be able to cope if the page isn't overloaded.

I'm not even going to try it on my phone.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:13 pm

I just tried it again to see if it had improved...

12.8Mb download for the page. 5 minutes 40 seconds to finish on my 60Mbps line. There were 223 images that occasionally jumped to 256.

Clicking the reply button to type this took over 30 second to finish loading. I think the new site has killed the whole domain.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:50 pm

Ooh, do I not like that :(
So slow I tried resetting my router as I thought the interthingy was broken. The forum is just as slow too.
The design is just ugly.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:41 pm

The old site was clean, fast and had an established user base.
I don't hate the new design, but I preferred the previous - surely things should only be changed to improve them, not just for the sake of it.
Been back today and it is simply crawling along (as well as giving Page Not Loading errors).
You still only have about 8 retrobates. I know it's early days but you used to have thousands.
Poor decisions made here I think.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:56 pm

Forum performance has dropped and is now being constantly bombarded with spam ttoo. I've spent longer deleting the spam that pops up every couple of minutes than I have reading posts today. Something must have changed along with the site update.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:41 am

On the plus side, at least PM notifications by email don't come from 'rich elliot' anymore!

But yeah, forum is totally messed up. Sometimes a page will take forever to load, sometimes it's really quick. Avatars for some users are also still messed up.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:35 pm

The website seems faster today... still don't like it though.
Probably make my last visit to it today to try to locate the last few of my reviews that I have yet to save to my own hard disk, in case they are all deleted at the next re-design whim.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:33 am

ipmarks wrote:Really sad that our old profiles have just been wiped, even sadder that comments on games haven't been preserved. It was the comment discussions that made the website for me. Nothing better than reading someone liked/disliked what you'd written,
I agree - Nice design but all the reviews - views and comments have been reset. :(

neil007evans

Post by neil007evans » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:04 pm

Hi, My profile on the website has not been transfered over, and my reviews have also been deleted. I added a third game (Juno First) in october time but thats also gone.

Cheers, Neil.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:01 pm

A month or so on and the website still doesn't impress.
You've currently still got less than twenty retrobates signed up, and no sign of missing comments/reviews showing up. I'm of the opinion that its just been a been style over substance change. Who cares if we destroy a whole community of thousands, it can look like a Spectrum and everything is in a gaudy box.

NES4Life

Post by NES4Life » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:57 am

I like the new change - but I agree that having all the reviews and comments culled is terrible.
I'm not sure if it's even possible to 'sign-in' to update your profile or 'why I love' etc.

Style-wise it's fresh and should probably attract new members to the community (but it's probably come at the cost of losing many existing members).

Fix the migration of old reviews etc and maybe there'll be a happy middle ground.
> > > > > > P

jindofox

Post by jindofox » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:42 pm

Good:
I like the look of the design!
It's attractive and readable!!

Meh:
It's super slow on mobile though.

Feature requests:
Can I give you money to make the ads go away?
How about Tapatalk for the forum?