New retro gamer website feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sixteen Plus

Re: New retro gamer website feedback

Post by Sixteen Plus » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:02 am

WOW!

Sorry, but what a way to kill a website.

Except for the forum (fortunately), you've actually inexplicably erased all the main-site registered members you've built up over the years. That's just suicide. I see a login button, but when I click on retrogamer for my old account, just my homepage appears in a new window.

All my reviews are still there (which I no longer have admin access to) but all the interesting comments are gone, all that history that was part of the site's whole reputation has been lost and for what? It's looking a little like a noob site now that nobody cares to comment on.

I also no longer have any control over my reviews. I used to delete the occasional spam comments, so who's going to remove them now if there's anymore?

Also if I submit a new review. What do I do if I discover afterwards that I had made a huge spelling error? How can I fix errors if I am no longer a registered member on the main site? Do I have to register a new account through social networks such as Facebook to edit new ones now? If that's the only way, then it was better and more practical when retrogamer had full control on the memberships instead of handing over the control to these social network sites. Sure have the option for Facebook members to register, but not at the expense of everyone else losing their normal account. Say if Facebook decides to one day change it's policy towards their members registering on other sites through their Facebook account to the detriment of those other sites, such as here? What happens here if they're the bulk of your new memberships?

Also, there are 47 reviews for the Commodore16/Plus4. Each page shows upto 15 reviews, but I cannot find any links to go to the next page to show the next 15 and so on. I know the other reviews exist as I looked for one of them through google and found it that way. I might have overlooked the next page button or in whatever form it might take, but I just can't find one anywhere. I also can't read reviews by the authors name anymore which was a huge plus before.

Although it looks nice and clean, so does Windows 8. The old design was far more practical and imho more professional looking, the new site looks like something which can be knocked up quick and cheap on free wordpress, and it seems that even the retro face-offs has done a bunk too.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but you wanted honest opinions. That old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" really applies here now. I hope that the admin has kept full backups of everything here. I really hope there is a change of heart and the old site returns fully intact as it was, at least until you can iron out all the problems of a new site. Otherwise...

R.I.P RG Image :(

darthsteve333

Post by darthsteve333 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:45 pm

Hi,

I'm probably being dense, but I can't seem to even see the login link.

As I was registered on the old site and had submitted a review of Chaos, I thought it'd be a good idea to search for my review and maybe try backtracking from there instead, but sadly it seems to be gone (and replaced by a review by someone else). I'm a bit reluctant to create a whole new profile when I had one already; having read the thread previously, I thought the old profiles were supposed to have been transferred over?

Given the fact I can't even see a login button, this doesn't look promising...

:(

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:48 pm

It is difficult to spot.

I eventually found the login button. If you click on a game review, you will find it directly underneath the white Comments Box to the right. Why is this reminding me so much of Windows 8 now?

Click on that and a dropdown box will appear giving you numerous new ways to register/login. Seems we can only register and login via other social networking sites now? Bad idea if there is no longer any way to have a registered account through the main website itself also.

There was a link in the dropdown box saying "retrogamer" which I assume is meant for people already registered to the main site, but it doesn't work and just takes me to my Google homepage.

I miss the old site, it was more convenient, easier to find reviews, easier to navigate in general and definitely more interactive, it even had a certain retro look about it which I don't feel with this new one :(

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:21 pm

The current silence from RG about yours, mine and many other peoples criticisms of the new website is deafening.

The moment the comments were destroyed and i lost access rights to my own reviews the website was lost to me. Will never be registering with the new site, just can't see the point. As i said before it's not for me, and judging by how many retrobates its currently got its not for anyone else either.... From thousands of members to around 20 in one month. Good going there.

Lots of sites would have killed to have the size of user base the old site had, just seems silly to delete them all.

darthsteve333

Post by darthsteve333 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:09 pm

Thanks for the help in finding the login button Sixteen Plus.

No great progression for me there though - I seem to be faced with the option to login via :

Retro Gamer
Disqus
Facebook
Twitter
Google

I assume I need to click on 'Retro Gamer', (as that would seem to be the obvious solution, given the fact I had a profile on the old website), but the net result of that is it opens a new browser window.

None of the other options apply...

- I've never used Disqus,
- I use Facebook, but not to login to other sites - I don't believe in it having any more information about me than I want it to, (as I believe it will be used as some form of nefarious stealth marketing tool)
- same for Twitter
- same for Google

As someone who already created a profile, a login and a password for the website I'm trying to use, (albeit the older version), can someone associated with the new RG website advise what my options are?

Is there some method by which I can login with my old details, thus regaining access to my old review, or is it a case of having to register using one of the options listed above?

If it's the latter, then I won't be re-registering for the reasons already given.

It's a shame really that a magazine that recognises and celebrates the importance of older games and hardware would make such sweeping changes to a site liked and frequented by the very people who it could be argued would be most opposed to such changes.
Last edited by darthsteve333 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:08 pm

We've only been back at work for a week, so I've not had a chance to respond to this thread. It's not possible to re-add the original comments by the looks of it. The old site was getting heavily spammed so it needed to be changed. I'll ask about making the log-in button easier to see as well.

Further update
You can't log in with your old usernames anymore, you need to create new ones.
All game profiles should have moved over, let us know if you have specific ones missing.
Game profiles now say Submitted By. Click on this and you can instantly see every article the person has uploaded.
You can also use the search bar to find your old reviews. Put in your name and it should bring them all up.

darthsteve333

Post by darthsteve333 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:52 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: Further update
All game profiles should have moved over, let us know if you have specific ones missing.
Game profiles now say Submitted By. Click on this and you can instantly see every article the person has uploaded.
You can also use the search bar to find your old reviews. Put in your name and it should bring them all up.
Hi Darran,

Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately, I still can't find my review of Chaos from the old website. I've tried searching for the game and using my 'real' name and login name.

I don't know whether this makes any difference, but the status of the review was "Awaiting approval", even though I wrote it well over 5 years ago, (and several people had commented on it). I did post a question about that status back in November 2013. Would that have made a difference in whether the review carried over to the new site or not?

One last question - is it going to be possible to create a new login specific to the retrogamer site only? As mentioned before, I am very reluctant to login via third parties (such as Facebook, etc) and would rather keep login and passwords specific to individual sites.

Thanks.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:00 am

darthsteve333 wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: Further update
Hi Darran,

Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately, I still can't find my review of Chaos from the old website. I've tried searching for the game and using my 'real' name and login name.

I don't know whether this makes any difference, but the status of the review was "Awaiting approval", even though I wrote it well over 5 years ago, (and several people had commented on it). I did post a question about that status back in November 2013. Would that have made a difference in whether the review carried over to the new site or not?

One last question - is it going to be possible to create a new login specific to the retrogamer site only? As mentioned before, I am very reluctant to login via third parties (such as Facebook, etc) and would rather keep login and passwords specific to individual sites.

Thanks.
It's impossible to keep your original log-in details I'm afraid. It's also not been possible to retrieve the original comments. I can't find your Chaos piece, it could be the fact I didn't personally approve it, which is why it didn't migrate over. Having said that I'm not sure how people could comment on it if it hadn't been personally approved. That's most odd.

Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.

darthsteve333

Post by darthsteve333 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:15 pm

Oh well.

Thanks for trying anyway.

clarance

Post by clarance » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:56 pm

I've just had a look at the site again, still horrible, still buggy - does anyone still bother to upload reviews anymore?
Death may be your Santa Claus.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:11 am

clarance wrote:I've just had a look at the site again, still horrible, still buggy - does anyone still bother to upload reviews anymore?
Nope.
Why should I, the last lot were treated with contempt. Site looks awful and is a nightmare to navigate.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:45 am

clarance wrote:does anyone still bother to upload reviews anymore?
Yes.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:56 am

NickThorpe wrote:
Yes.
Good luck to them. As long as they know in a few years time their profile will be trashed.
Not that I'm bitter or anything.

clarance

Post by clarance » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:42 pm

NickThorpe wrote:
Yes.
Does anyone bother to check the site for glitches/bugs then - cos I'll be buggered if I can navigate around the place...
ianpmarks wrote:
NickThorpe wrote:
Yes.
Good luck to them. As long as they know in a few years time their profile will be trashed.
Not that I'm bitter or anything.
Quite.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

dste

Post by dste » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:35 am

Don't know about anyone else but the <<Return to the homepage link at the top of the forum just gives me a 'The address isn't valid' page when I click on it.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!