New retro gamer website feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

New retro gamer website feedback

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:00 pm

Hi guys
You may have noticed that we have a spanking new website with kots of cool stuff on it. It will be getting regulaly updated and we are improving functionality so that you can upload pictures of yourself, your favourite games and ven stuff you love.
It's taken us a lot of work ,but we are really pleased with how it looks and plan to keep it in tip top condition. We need your help though. Not only to help populate the site, but also point out any issues you find. Want more themes? Want more customisation? Let us know and we will do what we can to sort it out.
Head on over to www.retrogamer.net and let us know what you think.

ipmarks

Re: New retro gamer website feedback

Post by ipmarks » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:03 pm

It looks good, clearly a lot of work has gone into it. Also it's great to see the website has not been forgotten.
It is however not for me.

Really sad that our old profiles have just been wiped, even sadder that comments on games haven't been preserved. It was the comment discussions that made the website for me. Nothing better than reading someone liked/disliked what you'd written, and why... and I had a couple of games where original authors had commented on what I'd written... I also liked the fact that on the old website you could find a member whose writing style you liked and see all the games reviews written by them. This is no longer possible sadly. It feels a bit like all the hard work I did was for nothing, just written off and all amalgamated together. I'm glad that I had just about archived my work onto my own hard disks before this happened, as it would be almost impossible to find all my reviews now.

The website had been neglected for a while though, so a refresh was necessary, I just wish it hadn't been at the expense of people who had supported it for the previous years - I also wish some warning had been given, then I could have archived comment threads too.

I do however hope it is successful for you, and brings many new people to your website and magazine.

clarance

Post by clarance » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:31 pm

The new site is an absolute mess - All the reviewers profiles have been wiped, all the comments wiped, and by the looks of it, most of the reviews have been wiped as well - I can't find most of my reviews - thanks for that.

Yeah, great new site - destroy all aspects of community that existed before and replace it with a slow, unresponsive, confusing heap of garbage where I have to scroll down several pages to see all of the 'filler' content.

Big Chief I-Spy says big heap mess...
Death may be your Santa Claus.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:41 pm

You're right it does seem really slow, i thought it was just my connection.
Agree with your other comment though, the old community has been completely destroyed and I don't really know why. Imagine if one day the same thing happens on this forum, you turn on and your login and username no longer exist.

I know things move on, and times change, and maybe the original website had come to the end of its run, but surely an email warning to users that it was going to happen wouldn't have been too difficult. Rather than an excitable email last week saying big improvements were going to happen to the site, but not specifying what, then we wake up a week later, there is a new slow website, and all our hard work has been trampled on.

It is bad form really.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:49 pm

All profiles should have transferred over. I'll get the digital guys to look into this on monday. I'll also see if there's anyway to retrieve comments as well.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:56 pm

I never really used the old website - but did have an attempt at setting up a Retrobate. Typed in loads of rubbish about me and my gaming history but it wouldn't save it :? Tried it with and without a photo. Will try again later!
As for sites/forums going and all content getting lost - the original RG forum was packed with some brilliant stuff, but Live! went down the pan and it all went... forever :(

Would be good for you lot though if the comments and reviews could be saved.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:07 pm

It's fair enough that websites come and go, that's progress i suppose. Would have been nice to have a bit of a warning though.

You'll find it difficult to set up a retrobate profile on the new website, as from what i can see there are none. All game review entries are now made by anyone, rather than people who've logged in. All the old profiles have gone, along with all those lovely stats about most commented, most viewed etc.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:11 pm

Well, although it should have been more prominent, I do remember reading that some stuff wouldn't make it over to the new site.... and here is the thread,

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=47203

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:29 pm

markopoloman wrote:Well, although it should have been more prominent, I do remember reading that some stuff wouldn't make it over to the new site.... and here is the thread,

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=47203
Oh okay, fair enough...must have missed that. Don't always read the forum, which is why an email would have been nice.
Still seems a shame. The new site doesn't really interest me, so i'll leave it to a new generation of website users.
I wish you good luck with it though.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:34 pm

If they to salvage the reviews and comments... will you still be avoiding it? It could be with us for years to come!

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:40 pm

markopoloman wrote:If they to salvage the reviews and comments... will you still be avoiding it? It could be with us for years to come!
Probably. Part of what i liked about the website (the community etc) has gone. It's probably a good time to leave, life has thrown up lots of other things to occupy my time lately. I'm sad, but not bitter.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:22 pm

ipmarks wrote:It's fair enough that websites come and go, that's progress i suppose. Would have been nice to have a bit of a warning though.

You'll find it difficult to set up a retrobate profile on the new website, as from what i can see there are none. All game review entries are now made by anyone, rather than people who've logged in. All the old profiles have gone, along with all those lovely stats about most commented, most viewed etc.
It's still there. You go to Profile, RetroBate and add. I've put a video up that explains everything.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:47 pm

Have watched your video... so I understand how to setup a new Retrobate Profile... I still don't see where I can login to my new Retrobate profile though? I've clicked on Retrobate, but it just takes me to a list of the current Retrobates (about 6 people, all staff). I do find the website is quite unclear at times. If you know how to login to your newly created profile let me know (it's probably staring me in the face, but i honestly can't see it).

Anyway thanks for the response. Regrettably I won't be making a new profile, as I had a perfectly acceptable one, and you deleted it. You say you want to create a retro-gaming community but you already had one with thousands of profiles, and you killed it. I hope I'm wrong but I think you'll struggle to get anywhere near that level of support for your new website community. Why should I (or others) invest my time into building up a new profile... I've been there and done that once already and it was removed at the whim of a redesign. I sound moany now, so apologies, but there is part of me that thinks you are making a bright new future for your magazine and website by trampling over those that supported you in the past.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:22 pm

ipmarks wrote:Have watched your video... so I understand how to setup a new Retrobate Profile... I still don't see where I can login to my new Retrobate profile though? I've clicked on Retrobate, but it just takes me to a list of the current Retrobates (about 6 people, all staff). I do find the website is quite unclear at times. If you know how to login to your newly created profile let me know (it's probably staring me in the face, but i honestly can't see it).

Anyway thanks for the response. Regrettably I won't be making a new profile, as I had a perfectly acceptable one, and you deleted it. You say you want to create a retro-gaming community but you already had one with thousands of profiles, and you killed it. I hope I'm wrong but I think you'll struggle to get anywhere near that level of support for your new website community. Why should I (or others) invest my time into building up a new profile... I've been there and done that once already and it was removed at the whim of a redesign. I sound moany now, so apologies, but there is part of me that thinks you are making a bright new future for your magazine and website by trampling over those that supported you in the past.
Your profile appears with all the other retrobates after it has been approved. All your old game profiles should automatically transfer over. If you have game profiles missing let us know what they are and we'll find them. It could be that they were renamed to get past the restrictions of the previous website and aren't being picked up.

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:47 am

The word "favourite" is spelt wrong all over the place (even in Darran's profile). I just went to add a profile and there it is again. Three times on one page. It's a particular annoyance to me, so I won't be adding a profile until it's spelt correctly.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V