Retro Gamer Issue 123

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ruudos

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 123

Post by Ruudos » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:27 am

Rory Milne wrote:
Ruudos wrote:I discovered some mistakes within the magazine though.
Maya, Kim Wu and Tusk made their first appearance in Kiler Instinct 2 (as opposed to the original).
I had Maya, Kim Wu and Tusk's first appearances down as KI2 in the article that I submitted, so I'm guessing something must have gone awry at some point in the editing or design process. I hope it didn't spoil the feature for you too much.
Not at all, I really enjoyed it. It has also helped me to prove to a friend of mine that Killer Instinct 2 was never released for SNES (he kept telling me that he saw it in the store back in the day).

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:18 pm

Ruudos wrote:
Rory Milne wrote:
Ruudos wrote:I discovered some mistakes within the magazine though.
Maya, Kim Wu and Tusk made their first appearance in Kiler Instinct 2 (as opposed to the original).
I had Maya, Kim Wu and Tusk's first appearances down as KI2 in the article that I submitted, so I'm guessing something must have gone awry at some point in the editing or design process. I hope it didn't spoil the feature for you too much.
Not at all, I really enjoyed it. It has also helped me to prove to a friend of mine that Killer Instinct 2 was never released for SNES (he kept telling me that he saw it in the store back in the day).
Glad you liked the article, and pleased it helped you put such an old argument to rest. :)

ekt

Post by ekt » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:48 pm

I know i'm late in the game, but just wanted to say 123 cover is really nice.
The tape broken corner and the hand written label price are great details.
It seems like you love what you do :)

ciao

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:57 am

Just noticed the Vroom! mention in ish 123!

I lost so many hours to this game. I made sure to pick up Domark's F1 on Megadrive at the time, but it wasn't the same experience. It looked good and all, but the Atari ST version was king.

Can we possibly have a 'Making Of' Vroom! in a future issue?
Thoughts and prayers.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:26 am

rossi46 wrote:Just noticed the Vroom! mention in ish 123!

I lost so many hours to this game. I made sure to pick up Domark's F1 on Megadrive at the time, but it wasn't the same experience. It looked good and all, but the Atari ST version was king.

Can we possibly have a 'Making Of' Vroom! in a future issue?
I am a big fan too, hence why I put it in there! I featured a few Lankhor games in that article so would like to try and track some of those guys down.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:07 pm

Finally catching up with unread magazines, just opened up this one.

Not sure if it's because i've just finished nights or what, but mixed feelings initally on this.

Love the cover, looking forward to the Salamander feature, Ian Lee leaving...well never a huge fan of his column (nothing personal, he just never seemed to have much to say that i found merited a column), so no feelings about it being his last.

Top Chumps looks decent, great to see Comix Zone featured, but without being harsh read a making of... a while back, dunno if it was in RG, Edge or Gamestm, but i'll be looking at feature more to see what's added, than anything else.

Never been a Killer Instinct fan, Cinemaware-really looking forward to, but had a lot of my questions answered a while back in an interview with Bob Jacob, so a good few bases covered there.

21 Budget Games, soon as i spotted Slimey's Mine, Master Of Magic and POD know i'll enjoy this.

Tempest 2000-again, loathe to be harsh here as not mags fault, but Edge did a making of..years ago, read numerous interviews with Jeff, met Jeff in person, so lot of questions i had, been answered and seeing same statements made.

Homebrew looks good.

So, plenty to get my teeth into, but it does highlight a danger i'm finding as an avid magazine reader-i simply have to face facts there are going to be articles i'll breeze through as they concern subject's i've sought answers to and found elsewhere, before they appeared in RG.

I'd guess it's something the team must wrestle with as well-magazine needs to cover things like Tempest 2000 and Comix Zone and fantastic to see them in there, but given nature of material, it's been covered in depth before, so do you run with it or not?.Personally i'm glad they did, but just making an observation, not finding fault.

When your talking of a long running magazine like RG, you've got to expect familar subject material cropping up, so i now look to see how the approach differs from that of say Edge or Gamestm.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:54 pm

Lost Dragon wrote:Top Chumps looks decent, great to see Comix Zone featured, but without being harsh read a making of... a while back, dunno if it was in RG, Edge or Gamestm, but i'll be looking at feature more to see what's added, than anything else.
It's certainly not featured in RG before, or at least not as a full blown making of.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:58 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
Lost Dragon wrote:Top Chumps looks decent, great to see Comix Zone featured, but without being harsh read a making of... a while back, dunno if it was in RG, Edge or Gamestm, but i'll be looking at feature more to see what's added, than anything else.
It's certainly not featured in RG before, or at least not as a full blown making of.
Might be Gamestm, know i've seen a feature on it before as 'it' detailed the GBA version.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:24 pm

Finally finished it. Not bad overall.

Great cover. The other 2 options were not a patch on the one you picked.