Retro Gamer Issue 123

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Cripper2

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 123

Post by Cripper2 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:49 pm

I am disappointed with the Salamander article. It was very short mainly concerned with the c64 conversion. For me the best bit about that game was the simultaneous two player option something the c64 version did not have. It would not have worked very well with at conversion because of its lower difficulty level. Not sure the writer gave some of the other versions of the game much playtime. The MSX version had simultaneous two player and many added gameplay elements.

For a more detailed look at Salamander
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/gradius/gradius5.htm

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:23 pm

IMO the horrible scrolling makes the MSX version near enough unplayable.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:01 am

For me the last few issues of RG have been my least favourite for a while.
Not RG's fault, just not to my personal tastes.

Enjoyed the Stonkers article (although it was too short) and the Salamander article (again too short though), but the rest not so much. Also no Christmas cover or articles was a bit churlish really.

Hoping for lots of 8 bit joy in the New Year.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:23 pm

Really liked the cassette case cover not used since issue 81 with Laser Squad. Maybe a SNES/MD/2600 box styles could be used for future covers? The alternate Alex KId covers I thought were too busy this month.

Stonkers and Tempest 2000 were my favourite features. The mini making of C64 Salamander interview was also a great insight.

The Unconverted has also had a nice update to it's look, feeling a lot brighter. Still not a fan of the Future Classics colour. Would like to see the old brown newspaper design dropped.

hitm4n

Post by hitm4n » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:35 am

Best issue ever - Thanks Darren... Why? Because theres a bit for Dots Adventures (page 102) :) Plug plug wink wink.

RuySan

Post by RuySan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:58 am

Not much that interested me in this issue, but i loved the Cinemaware article. It's funny to know that TV Sports Basketball doesn't have real player names since my pirated copy had them. :D

Ruudos

Post by Ruudos » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:04 am

I loved the cover.

I discovered some mistakes within the magazine though.
Alfred Chicken also appeared in a game for PlayStation and Maya, Kim Wu and Tusk made their first appearance in Kiler Instinct 2 (as opposed to the original).

Charco

Post by Charco » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:40 pm

Mine arrived today, absolutely love the cover. I used to own Life Force back in the day on my NES :)

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:26 pm

Ruudos wrote:I discovered some mistakes within the magazine though.
Maya, Kim Wu and Tusk made their first appearance in Kiler Instinct 2 (as opposed to the original).
I had Maya, Kim Wu and Tusk's first appearances down as KI2 in the article that I submitted, so I'm guessing something must have gone awry at some point in the editing or design process. I hope it didn't spoil the feature for you too much.

skinny

Post by skinny » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:35 pm

Favourite article was the Stonkers one. I loved that game!

Have to say I'm sad to see Iain Lee go. I remember when he first started writing in the magazine and I thought 'Why is that guy who used to be on the telly writing in Retro Gamer', but nearly every month what he wrote struck a chord with me. We must be pretty much the same age...

Good luck with whatever the future holds for you Iain Lee!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:24 am

Glad the Stonkers piece has gone down well. Must admit I wasn't sure about it as the game has become a bit of a joke over the years but I have very fond memories of playing it with my pops so I thought why not.

Plus John Gibson is a legend :)
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:19 am

Yep really enjoyed the Stonkers article. It had a bit of a 'joke image' at World of Spectrum due to that long running joke when someone wanted a game identified

But i remember playing that as a kid in the early early years of the Speccy, for its time it was very good

senatortombstone

Post by senatortombstone » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:40 pm

I am an American retro-gamer. I just paid for a subscription, but the first issue I am too receive is #124. I checked the local Barnes & igNoble, yesterday, but #123 was not on the shelf. Have any American fans seen #123 for sale, yet? I believe I purchased #122 on December 12, so I am not surprised not to see it out yet. Looks amazing.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:24 pm

The Laird wrote:IMO the horrible scrolling makes the MSX version near enough unplayable.
Those Konami MSX carts are brilliant, good enough that the scrolling ceases to be a major issue in my opinion. Remember Tony Takoushi? I remember him saying much the same back in the day but I suppose its up to the individuals appraisal of the software. The graphics and sound were top, top notch on those MSX Konami carts.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:21 pm

Used to love Tony's 'Hot Gossip' back page articles in C+VG.Very much written by a gamer and yep, he was a huge MSX fan, to part quote from said articles of his:

'My personal prefences are the C64, Atari XL and MSX (for those superb Konami carts' and 'regarding MSX Nemesis II '...the scrolling, which like the original Nemesis, is jerky, but the action is so hot you do not have time to even notice it'.