Retro Gamer Issue 123

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Gibberish Driftwood

Retro Gamer Issue 123

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:24 am

Darran has put up a sneak peek at issue 123:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4otv5RY ... tAiS0s_wAg
The Cinemaware article looks great. Cant wait to read it. :)
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

The Laird

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 123

Post by The Laird » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:41 pm

The cover is stunning! One of the best ever IMO

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:56 pm

That cover looks lovely and the article itself will be my first port of call. I loved the gradius series, but never spent much time with salamander back in the day for whatever reason. Of course, I'm expecting the PC Engine version to be stealing the limelight...

Eat your nans pants

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:16 am

Yeah that's an amazing cover, it looks (almost) lickable, I will seriously consider it. Salamander was a brilliant Shoot 'em up, looking forward to that, Cinemaware of course. Genuinely sad to hear Iain Lee's signing off, I really loved getting a hearty chuckle each month reading his column but at the same time I can understand, you can only write so many articles. But thanks so much for your work Iain, it was terrific.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:39 am

Looks cracking, hopefully can get it before Christmas!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:39 am

Well its meant to be coming this week for subscribers.

Love the cover, played Gradius/Nemesis tons but for some reason never bothered much with Salamander, have to play that much more now.

Edit - Just got my copy this morning. Spoilt most of the surprise by watching Darrans video ! But looks a good issue for me, Salamander, Making of Stonkers, Greatest budget games, 25 gaming underdogs and a few others.

Sad to see Iain Lee leave, met him at one of the retro shows at Blackpool agessss ago and was a right friendly bloke, top marks for him for stepping in at the last second when the main presenter (Was it Gail whatshername) couldnt make it late on, didnt want any money for appearing, just his travel fare covered if i remember right so good on him. He obviously loves retro (And again good on him for appearing in that British IBM music video). Enjoyed his articles every month, hope he writes again in the future for RG. Some of the anti-Iain Lee stuff posted before was ridiculous.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:54 am

Got mine this morning, there is a stack of stuff in it that interests me this month. I have already read Paul's superb Tempest 2000 piece and really looking forward to the Stonkers, Comix Zoe, Salamander, Budget Games, Garry Cheap MDF rubbish which will fall apart the second you buy it, totally avoid, just cheap rubbish, Sega Fishing and Cinemaware articles!!! 8)

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:03 am

Got mine this morning too. I have to agree that that tape case cover is delicious! I love the attention to detail!

I've had a quick flick through - articles look varied and appeal to me a lot so I'm happy! However, I'm also sad to see Iain leave. His column never failed to add a different perspective and character to the mag and, perhaps having grown up in the same gaming generation, I would always relate to the games and contact he'd discuss. All the best, Iain.

Oh and isn't it supposed to be Christmas? Well, someone had to say it - it's tradition.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:39 am

Well if you aren't going to have an Xmas cover, I guess having a stunning SALAMANDER cover is the next best thing.

There looks to be more in here to interest me than the last two or three issues put together, looking forward to it. :D
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

NickLoTurco10

Post by NickLoTurco10 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:43 am

Wow...a Christmas edition with absolutely no mention or sign of Christmas on either the cover or retrobate/editor first page? Is it not too much to ask for some festive excitement? Videogames and Christmas go hand in hand so I find it all rather odd, perhaps certain people within Retro Gamer just don't like Christmas....shame.
Please visit my blog page http://www.hitthesport.wordpress.com

Amiga 1200, Blizzard IV, WHDload-massive!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:47 am

Yeah i admit i was part of the 'no Xmas cover ?' gang the last few years, i'm not religious or that i just wanted a xmas cover for nostalgic purposes as back in the day with Crash etc you just longed for that huge Xmas edition.

Nothing this year but not a showstopper, shame as we had a few Xmas covers in the past though

TMR

Post by TMR » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:06 am

i'd just like to say "bah, humbug" as regards Christmas covers and indeed Christmas generally. =-)

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:24 am

my issue arrived earlier. cover is great but we really should have had a Christmas cover, also liked the alternative Usual Suspects cover.

amazed to see the little interview with Miles Jacobson, the CM/FM series has long been criminally ignored by the mag so hopefully this is a precursor to a full blown feature, funny to read about him setting up the game for Robbie Williams :D

Salamander looks awesome, loved this game so should be a good read.

After the debacle of the Greatest Characters feature it good to see lessons have been learned and the Underdogs piece is much better presented, and also quite rightly includes Faith and Raz.

As I posted last month, sad to see Iain Lee go and I will stick my original suggestion that a different guest writer each month would be ace, failing that, a return for Archer Maclean.

Budget Games, Cinemaware, Comix Zone and Vigilante all good too.

A good issue so far.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:30 pm

Great issue, once again plenty of variety. And I own 20 of the 21 budget games...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:43 pm

merman wrote:Great issue, once again plenty of variety. And I own 20 of the 21 budget games...

Chronos?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"