Matthew Smith

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Is Matthew Smith…

A platform genius
51%
Incredibly Overrated
49%

Total votes: 134

Darran@Retro Gamer

Matthew Smith

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:39 am

One more

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:40 am

So whats the guy ever done apart from two (very, very good) Spectrum platform games..???

frank grimes

Post by frank grimes » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:42 am

Two good games don't make the man a legend in my eyes. He's only famous for making those two titles and pretty much disappearing. Not much of a legacy. *awaits abuse*
Giving it 100%, 60% of the time.

bolda

Post by bolda » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:43 am

I went for the second option but I think the wording of each option is a bit too extreme. I think his games are overrated but I appreciate that he achieved a lot for a 16 year old at the time.
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:46 am

Difficult one this.

It does seem the 'in' thing to slate Matthew Smith. If you really go back to the early 80's both his games were incredible and far better than so many games at the time. His whole disappearing act just added to the story.

I'm glad hes resurfaced and found a lot of the praise heaped on him but at the same time i was gutted when he missed CGEUK when apparently he would be there and despite saying he would do a Speccy game and it would take him a few weeks nothing ever came of that.

Jet Set Willy now i really dont like but back then i just loved finding new rooms. Manic Miner to this day is so playable and its a game i love, its like people who love football got into the game because of George Best etc years ago. For many people they got into the Speccy big time because of Manic Miner. Before that a lot of the games werent great, Manic Miner changed the views of many

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:00 am

Is Matthew Smith… A platform genius/Incredibly Overrated
Neither, in my opinion. Even at the time, I never really understood why everyone went totally ape over Manic Miner, when the likes of Miner 2049er and Chuckie Egg were around, but it's still a decent enough game, if frustrating. Jet Set Willy, though, I've very little time for. Sure, it has an exploration element that was ahead of most of the competition, but it has a nasty edge that makes the Monty Mole games look relaxed and lovely. (Plus, for exploration and collecting, I much preferred DataSoft's fast-placed Bruce Lee.)
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:10 am

I've got to go for the over-rated option. Like Craig, I never understood the fuss about Manic Miner back in the day, let alone now... And by the time I got around to playing JSW there were far, far better multi-room platformers about - Citadel on the Beeb, anyone?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:26 am

I'm going with genius. Seems very much like one of those over intelligent people who've just tipped over the edge into madness to me.

His output may not be voluminous, but he's hit some historical milestones. While the Willy games may not be 'best in class' they remain playable and there's no doubt the designs were inspired. They set a benchmark that others felt the need to exceed.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:28 am

Is it true about the Catweazel thing though?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:52 am

I never liked JSW , but I could appreciate what an exceptional talent it must have taken to program it (even though it was completable!)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:52 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
Is Matthew Smith… A platform genius/Incredibly Overrated
Neither, in my opinion. Even at the time, I never really understood why everyone went totally ape over Manic Miner, when the likes of Miner 2049er and Chuckie Egg were around, but it's still a decent enough game, if frustrating. Jet Set Willy, though, I've very little time for. Sure, it has an exploration element that was ahead of most of the competition, but it has a nasty edge that makes the Monty Mole games look relaxed and lovely. (Plus, for exploration and collecting, I much preferred DataSoft's fast-placed Bruce Lee.)
Back then i didnt have a clue about Miner 2049er, if i had then Manic Miner might not have blown me away so much

But back then playing Zzoom, Spectral Invaders, Slippery Sid and other 'classics' on the Speccy, when Manic Miner then arrived it was like WOAHHHHH !

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:38 am

a 16 yr old genius of his day, back when you could whip up a game quickly on a speccy and release it to the world. Before games took millions and years to make. I miss the 8 bit era so much , what a fantastic time it was.
Retro when it wasnt cool

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:40 pm

Overrated. I never liked Manic Miner or JSW, and I never understood or understand the incredible fuss over the man or his games. There are plenty more creative guys from the Speccy period who put out genuinely amazing stuff (Pete Cooke, Mike Singleton etc.).

Browncat

Post by Browncat » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:21 pm

Is it true about the Catweazel thing though?
Yes it is.
I am the guy who speaks out from the eye.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:25 pm

MM was just so far above anything at the time. JSW was a huge disappointment in comparison. But he deserves his legend status for MM.