Why is Retro Gamer so much expensive ?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

cowboy

Re: Why is Retro Gamer so much expensive ?

Post by cowboy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:21 pm

yeah, but i do not want a digital magazine.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:20 pm

cowboy wrote:yeah, but i do not want a digital magazine.
We are a dying breed, us old farts that like a physical book or mag rather than a screen...! :wink:

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:02 am

With a hard copy of the mag, I can just reach into my bookshelf and pull a random issue and read parts of it, or flick through it quickly for a particular article. I think with digital versions, its way harder to do that - there isn't the immediacy and its not as random either, as you are pulling a random issue by its spine without seeing the cover.

I found the eMag digital versions far less accessible than the printed versions.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:01 am

I like both, i've got all the retro gamers on my shelf and i like dipping in and out of each one.

Got a few digital editions, specially the bookazines on the retro gamer app. Love having these on the go so i can have a quick look here and there if i'm away from home. Yeah i could take the odd issue with me on the train but its just easier if i'm away to have a look at the digital editions

senatortombstone

Post by senatortombstone » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:41 pm

kiwimike wrote:
cowboy wrote:yeah, but i do not want a digital magazine.
We are a dying breed, us old farts that like a physical book or mag rather than a screen...! :wink:

Yeah, and who could seriously brag about their PDF collection? Some media is fine going digital (e.g. Newspapers and tabloids), but there is nothing like holding the latest issue of retrogamer, Games TM, or a comic book.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:38 am

Totall agree with that! ^^^^
Xbox Live: RetroBob

DeafTard911

Post by DeafTard911 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:54 pm

Well this past Christmas I just got a subscription to Retro Gamer Magazine thanks to my kick ass mother, she did subscribe me to it once 1-2 years ago and didn't renew it cause it cost ALOT of money to have to shipped to America lol but she knew how much I loved it and decided to re-subscribed me again this recent christmas. Honestly, it was the best gift ever!

I can see why Retro Gamer Magazine is expensive because A. The quality of the magazine is amazingly detailed, it's HUGE and much bigger than the standard magazine. B. The fact that it is made in the UK and Shipped from the UK is also another key factor of making it more expensive and C. I believe there is SO many retro game lovers ALL over this planet earth that it would be hard to only cater to a specific audience, like let's say that Retro Gamer Magazine only published in the UK only and never offered anything outside of the UK, I think it would not gain as many readers as it does today.

I dunno how many readers or subscribers there are in this world that subscribes to retro gamer magazine but I have a feeling that there is indeed a large audience outside of the UK that LOVE these Retro Gamer Magazine, I know I do!

Oh and the fact that magazines are dying these days is another reason why retro gamer magazine is expensive because I assume the costs to print em, ship em, etc is MUCH more higher today than back then.

Honestly I am shocked and surprised that Retro Gamer Magazine is STILL alive today because I thought it would only last about 25-50 issues and that's it but I am glad I was proven wrong!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:29 pm

Yeah, agree with you, great mag and pleased shes still going strong! And you do pay a little more for niche mags, and that's fine....and international post/freight is not cheap! :)

I think the point for a few of us though is some of our local distributors are screwing us over a little, if you're buying regularly the best option IMO is buy direct. A little tough on my local retailers who are doing a good service by keeping it in stock, but it's the middle man taking too much that's ruining it IMO

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:20 pm

Could be eh.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:10 am

I know it's not PC, but every time I see this topic I think to myself: "because it love you long time"
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords