From the forum issue 123

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

From the forum issue 123

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:33 am

What's your favourite cinemaware game?

Gordon Bennett

Re: From the forum issue 123

Post by Gordon Bennett » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:48 am

Wings without a doubt for me. From the tremendously dramatic intro to the diary entries and flying missions it had me glued to my Amiga for hours. And between the experience of playing the game and reading the quite long printed manual of background information on the planes and aviators of the First World War I picked up a bit of an obsession with the subject for a time. I really do miss the days when games shipped with books of background and reference material that wasn't needed to play the game but added tremendously to the immersion and atmosphere.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:36 am

Definately Rocket Ranger for me. I frst played the game about 15 years ago, and being a huge fan of the Rocketeer comics and film like my father, this game felt like it was a true homage to Dave Stevens creation from the 50s. For me, it also felt like the first true superhero videogame.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:43 am

I loved wings and Rocket Ranger on the Amiga, both were exceptional efforts of Amiga superiority as a computer and games machine at the time.
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

NES4Life

Post by NES4Life » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:00 am

100% It Came From the Desert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTWd_eyAmgQ

I still have memories of unsuccessfully putting out a fire with the hose and waking up (yet again) in the hospital. Shooting a giant ant in the face also never grows old. Not fast paced, but it was definitely a gaming moment for me.
> > > > > > P

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:01 am

I can't single out any particular one that I liked the most but the standout titles for me were; Wings, It came from the desert, Rocket Ranger and Defender of the crown. Four games that made you feel like were playing an interactive movie from the golden era of cinema.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:04 am

Defender of The Crown. Cinemaware, on the whole though, were ahead of their time, always trying new things, pushing the envelope, and it was always exciting hearing about their next release, to see what they would come up with next. The "Rockstar" of their day.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:38 am

Not really sure why but the first game that springs to mind is TV Sports Hockey on the TurboGrafx, I really enjoyed that.

zapiy

Post by zapiy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:46 am

It Came From the Desert, is without doubt my fav.. I guess thats down to all the hours i put into the game.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:48 am

I'd go for It Came From the Desert too. It captures the air of a '50s science fiction b-movie pretty much perfectly and it's as much fun to set out with a crazy futile strategy and see how far it gets you as it is to play the game properly.

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:33 am

Defender of the Crown. It was the first game I ever played on an Amiga, and it was like playing a game from the future. Jim Sachs' graphics were amazing, and the atmosphere from the look and sound really helped.

I also played Sinbad and SDI quite a bit, and several others (apart from the American sports ones).
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:41 am

Tough choice. Wings is a wonder of atmosphere and storytelling, the idea of the company journal is awesome and the rising through the ranks of your character (until it dies) makes you really care about him. Timeless masterpiece.

But my choice goes to It Came from the Desert, the first game I tried on my Amiga after buying the memory expansion, it left me slackjawed. The b-movie atmosphere, the freedom of choice and of movement, the graphics, the music, all the mini-games are incredible. I remember playing it until past midnight without realising the passing of time.

And also finding it incredibily tough to crack, while nowadays I finish it again every year in 30 minutes or so :mrgreen:

"The farmer stopped in mid-sentence. His eyes were locked on something behind me..."

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:03 pm

As an Amiga owner they hold a special place in our gamer hearts, not least for bringing the Amiga platform forward as a gaming platform, but also their games were so well made not just graphically but storywise and the attention to detail was a step above anyone else at the time.
As much as i like Wings and Defender of the crown, It came from the desert has to be my favourite, just took you into another place whilst playing, the graphics, sound and atmosphere were all great. (Just don't mention the awful console versions!)

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:12 pm

It has to be Wings for me. Great atmosphere and made you feel as if you were a WW1 fighter ace.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:25 am

I think I've just remembered that the print manual that I spoke of so glowingly shipped with Sierra's game Red Baron, not with Wings. Perhaps they merged in my mind because I much preferred Wings as a game and spent very little time with Red Baron aside from reading that manual.