Retro Gamer Issue 122 Official feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

merman

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 122 Official feedback

Post by merman » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:33 am

fillocke wrote:Hallo all, I wrote the piece 'Creating Chaos' this month - there's been some kind words about it, so thanks! Just submitted another piece today, not sure if I should say what it is, but this one's about a really revered classic that I'm sure a lot of you love. I think it'll be in issue 124 - look out for it!

As always with my interviews, there was some interesting things that I had to cut out from 'Creating Chaos' for space - 40 minute interviews are hard to compress into 4 pages, but I tried my best! It was interesting to learn that Mike Montgomery got started in programming by mucking about with the stock computer while he was a manager at Woolies!
Great to have you on board, look forward to your next piece.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:22 pm

My issue just arrived in the post yesterday.

A very good issue :)

The 3DO article was excellent, I loved that machine when I had one. It has made me want to track one down and own it again (This time I wont swap it for a Saturn).

Iain Lee article was good too, totally related to that. Many hours in the first house I remember I spent playing on the Speccy with my brothers and some friends.

GTA3 feature was good also, again a game I spent many hours with.
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

8bit_baz

Post by 8bit_baz » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:04 am

I've just finished reading this month's magazine, though had a quick question about the Retro Round Up Section. On Page 100 in the green overview for the section it talks about experiencing Dragons Quest (which looks pretty sweet) but after that it says that Zelda 2 The Adventures of Link shall be revisited within the section also. I have flicked through several times with no luck of finding a single word about Zelda 2 after that and I was wondering if I'm being a bit thick and flicking past a page or am I reading it wrong and it will be revisited next month??? (which I didn't get the impression of)

Being as Zelda 2 is one of my favorite games of all times I was a little disappointed not to read a little something about it and I'm really hoping I've missed something has anybody else noticed this?

Cheers Baz.

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:36 am

8bit_baz wrote:Being as Zelda 2 is one of my favorite games of all times I was a little disappointed not to read a little something about it and I'm really hoping I've missed something has anybody else noticed this?

Cheers Baz.
Yeah i noticed this as well, was looking forward to reading a bit about zelda...
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

8bit_baz

Post by 8bit_baz » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:45 am

kelp7 wrote:
8bit_baz wrote:Being as Zelda 2 is one of my favorite games of all times I was a little disappointed not to read a little something about it and I'm really hoping I've missed something has anybody else noticed this?

Cheers Baz.
Yeah i noticed this as well, was looking forward to reading a bit about zelda...
Well I suppose that just leaves us to hope for a future issue....

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:23 am

Good issue, with the article on the C64 missing games being in the top place for me. The 3DO article was also a very good read, Hawkins is always interesting and the whole history of the console and its undeserved failure too.

The Impossible Mission and Software Creations articles were also good, but even better was the GTA III Making Of. So, when will we see a similar article on GTA: Vice City? :) It's still my favourite and, considering it was released just one year after GTA III, if it's covered in a few months nobody will complain it's not "retro" enough :wink:

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:12 pm

I just got my issue in the post too, and it is all sorts of awesome. The C64 games that weren't article is the kind of article that you just don't get anywhere else, and is awesome, even though I've never owned a C64.

When I saw the screenshot of the 3DO cover on here I must admit I thought it looked pretty average, but in person it actually comes off really well.

merman

Post by merman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:37 pm

Thanks again for the kind words on the article. Hope you enjoy my interview in issue 123 and what AI am working on right now for issue 125...
Last edited by merman on Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:50 pm

merman wrote:Hope you enjoy my Garry Cheap MDF rubbish interview in issue 123
:?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:50 am

Bit late with the feedback for this issue, but I thought it was really good one, I did consider buying a 3DO at one point but never got round to it in the end, looks like it was a pretty good machine overall.

Chaos Engine article was interesting, it's a great game, and good to see the Archimedes version get a mention, that's two of us that know it exists, I don't think it sold that many copies despite being an excellent game.

Impossible Mission was good too, I really must give that game a go sometime, as I have never played it. I really liked the Jet Set Willy Retirement home, anyone fancy making it into an actual game? I would if I had time, as one of the Archimedes versions of JSW has a screen editor and is based on the Dragon version so a lot of those new rooms are already there.

Not keen on the X-box adverts to be honest, far too many and not Retro related at all really, i'm sure it was to do with paying the bills, overall a good issue.

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:46 am

Just adding my two bits on this issue. Haven't read it all yet but...

- I, for one, won't miss Iain Lee's column. I haven't liked any of his articles, including this one.

- The Apple II column was great. Being from the US, the Apple was a big part of my youth. Please keep adding more coverage of it!

- The 3DO column was fantastic but I have to take issue with one point - the idea that price was NOT the reason it flopped. That's simply not true. Lots of people were into the system but were turned off by the $700 price tag. The first, second, and third reason it bombed was the price. Comparing it to a Genesis + CD is misleading since, well, that bombed too. By the time the 3DO was semi reasonable price-wise, the Saturn and PlayStation were already stealing its thunder.

- agree with those who thought the cover was boring even if it did hit its target well.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:42 am

Tabe wrote:The Apple II column was great. Being from the US, the Apple was a big part of my youth. Please keep adding more coverage of it!
Glad you enjoyed my Apple II feature. :)

I had a lot of fun going through the line's extensive library trying to pick 19 titles that would give a taste of everything that was good about the Apple II series. Hopefully the article helped demonstrate the impressive diversity of the games that were developed for the range.

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:22 pm

Rory Milne wrote:
Tabe wrote:The Apple II column was great. Being from the US, the Apple was a big part of my youth. Please keep adding more coverage of it!
Glad you enjoyed my Apple II feature. :)

I had a lot of fun going through the line's extensive library trying to pick 19 titles that would give a taste of everything that was good about the Apple II series. Hopefully the article helped demonstrate the impressive diversity of the games that were developed for the range.
You did a great job of that, hitting a whole bunch of titles I had never even heard of. I know it was mentioned in RG#115 but I would have loved to see "I.O. Silver" as part of the game list. That one is my all-time favorite Apple-exclusive game. And if I weren't so darned lazy, I'd actually finish the remake of it I started a few years ago. :)

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:50 am

Tabe wrote:You did a great job of that, hitting a whole bunch of titles I had never even heard of.
Thanks for that. :) I hope you enjoy the games that you hadn't heard of if you get a chance to play them.
Tabe wrote:I know it was mentioned in RG#115 but I would have loved to see "I.O. Silver" as part of the game list. That one is my all-time favorite Apple-exclusive game. And if I weren't so darned lazy, I'd actually finish the remake of it I started a few years ago. :)
Totally agree with you on I.O. Silver, it really does represent one of the Apple II's finest gaming moments. In fact, I've often wondered what would have happened if it had been picked up as a Game Boy title around the time of Tetris. I think it would have had massive sales given how easy it is to pick up and how hard it is to put down. Good luck with the remake, if you have some time off over the next few weeks you might even get it finished! ;)