Retro Gamer Issue 122 Official feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Eric

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 122 Official feedback

Post by Eric » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:01 pm

bensonrad wrote:Is next month Iain Lee's last :( I always enjoy his collumn, thats a shame.
Yep, great column this month about visiting his old street.
The second "messy" alternative cover has Robocop/Movie Licensees, was this dropped?

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:21 pm

Is Iain Lee quitting? :(

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:08 pm

[quote="HalcyonDaze00"

I'd vote for Matthew Smith to have his own columm. :D[/quote]
Smith would be better than an advert but Archer Maclean would be superb, or they could have a different guest writer each month.[/quote]

I think a different guest writer each month would be a fantastic idea.

Shame Iain Lee is hanging up his pen, really enjoy his writings n musings each month

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:38 am

Nice work Mr Milne with the Minority Report, when I read about some classics you might not have heard of I thought yeah right - NO CHANCE - but I must say I hadn't played quite a few of them and they look impressive so I must give them a shot. And here I was thinking i'd played practically every Apple II title back in the day, Its quite funny how our mind tends to BS to itself, the 40 - 50,000 odd games I thought I'd played most likely in reality was something like 250.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:37 pm

ncf1 wrote:Nice work Mr Milne with the Minority Report, when I read about some classics you might not have heard of I thought yeah right - NO CHANCE - but I must say I hadn't played quite a few of them and they look impressive so I must give them a shot. And here I was thinking i'd played practically every Apple II title back in the day, Its quite funny how our mind tends to BS to itself, the 40 - 50,000 odd games I thought I'd played most likely in reality was something like 250.
Thanks for that, really glad you enjoyed the feature. And if it's any consolation, I actually thought you would have played all the games in the article too!

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:05 pm

I didn't enjoy this months issue if I'm honest, basically because there wasn't much in there that interested me. Hopefully I'll be luckier next month. Still, the 3DO article was interesting, and the Ian lee column was great, I could totally relate to that. I have a place I visit when I want to stimulate my nostalgia gland so it was nice to know that it's a kind of normal thing to do lol.

Why is he quitting anyway?

Eat your nans pants

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:57 am

crusto wrote:I didn't enjoy this months issue if I'm honest, basically because there wasn't much in there that interested me. Hopefully I'll be luckier next month. Still, the 3DO article was interesting, and the Ian lee column was great, I could totally relate to that. I have a place I visit when I want to stimulate my nostalgia gland so it was nice to know that it's a kind of normal thing to do lol.

Why is he quitting anyway?
Agree about Iain lee. Great column this month.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:11 pm

going through this issue slowly for a change, Andrew's article about forgotten c64 games, looks great also, Forgotten Worlds I loved on Amiga back in the day so that's something to look forward to, plus the 3DO feature.. this issue has probably more stuff i'm really interested in than ever so for me, very exciting indeed.

To not have my input on the letter section about favourite Apple games was slightly crushing and I may have to take a couple of days off work but other than that, lovely issue :)

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:46 am

Totally loved the 3DO feature,i bought one of these machines brand new when they came out ,and ive still got it today,
Still looks futuristic too compared to current gen machines.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:31 am

Most enjoyable issue for a while, that's for sure. The 3DO article was worth the two month delay, certainly!

And I've never played a single Apple II game - now I really want to play ALL of those ones.

As for all those Xbox adverts - I noticed my favourite section (The Unconverted) was missing at the expense of these, so I'll take back what I said about it being the most enjoyable for a while. Still liked those two articles though.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:43 pm

Loved the fact that you showed the back of the 3do in the article....

The connectors and ports on all machines are a vital part of info that I love to read about....

another excellent issue

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:38 pm

Another thumbs-up for the 3DO piece. I learnt some new stuff and it has inspired me to get interested in 3DO again. My FZ-1 is packed away with the games at the moment but it certainly won't stay that way for too long since I want to resume picking up new games for it :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

rockdjuk

Post by rockdjuk » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:24 am

Best issue for ages !!!

Loved the in depth 3DO feature - More like this please.

Seemed much more balanced than has been the case of recent months. Lots if different machines, generations and not leaning to much towards the consoles for the first time in ages .

One little niggle is the size of the screenshots when comparing games on different machines - I like to be able to see the differences between the game on each machine (whole point of a comparison piece) but this is impossible when the screenshots are postage stamp size . I know there are constraints on space etc... but in future would be better I think if more space could be allocated for bigger screenshots.

The xbox ad - I have no problems with ads unless they take away content which I believe in this instance it did .

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:27 am

rockdjuk wrote:One little niggle is the size of the screenshots when comparing games on different machines - I like to be able to see the differences between the game on each machine (whole point of a comparison piece) but this is impossible when the screenshots are postage stamp size . I know there are constraints on space etc... but in future would be better I think if more space could be allocated for bigger screenshots.
Completely agree with this and would very much more appreciate having larger comparison shots
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

fillocke

Post by fillocke » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:34 am

Hallo all, I wrote the piece 'Creating Chaos' this month - there's been some kind words about it, so thanks! Just submitted another piece today, not sure if I should say what it is, but this one's about a really revered classic that I'm sure a lot of you love. I think it'll be in issue 124 - look out for it!

As always with my interviews, there was some interesting things that I had to cut out from 'Creating Chaos' for space - 40 minute interviews are hard to compress into 4 pages, but I tried my best! It was interesting to learn that Mike Montgomery got started in programming by mucking about with the stock computer while he was a manager at Woolies!